Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is this obsession with holiday?

(221 Posts)
kittylester Mon 29-Jun-20 09:33:39

Watching the news it is obvious that people can't wait to go abroad on holiday.

We have been on lots of lovely holidays, both abroad and at home, but I can't understand this current determination to rush off. We have had 2 trips cancelled this year.

Are you raring to go away?

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 11:02:01

the same types
hmm I doubt that my neighbours would have rushed off to Bournemouth although they do enjoy their relaxing overseas holidays!

janeainsworth Mon 29-Jun-20 11:09:40

Don’t eat too many pies in that marvellous bakery.....
How odd you should mention that Lucca.
A friend of mine posted about it on Facebook yesterday about how wonderful it was. I think she said one of their takeaway lunch boxes had lasted her for 2 lunches and a main meal?

The only thing I want to do is go to America to see DS, DiL and 3DGCs. We should have gone in April ?

In the meantime I’m happy at home, eating nice food, doing the garden, and having days out. Last week it was the gardens at Wallington Hall, and the wonderful beach at Druridge Bay.

dragonfly46 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:10:30

I used to live for the 3 weeks we used to spend on a French campsite with my parents every year. Since the DC left home and DH retired holidays do not mean as much.
I cannot see the point of spending time in a rented house which is less comfortable than what I have at home.
Our holidays consist of trips down south to see the DC.

Purplepixie Mon 29-Jun-20 11:11:25

I’m not in a hurry to get away in fact the money we have saved this year so far has been amazing and going towards some lovely garden furniture and new fences! Bit boring but I am happy sitting eating cheese and tomato sandwiches in our little garden. Watching the robins, blackbirds and other birds and sipping G&Ts. I won’t be queuing at the airport, driving on congested roads or getting stressed while packing. Ah bliss!

25Avalon Mon 29-Jun-20 11:16:55

I have no desire to go to a hot sticky beach surrounded by hoarded of people in boiling hot sun, but chacon son gout [to each his own] as the French say and to some that is their way of relaxing and many may have been working all this time or in confined spaces and stressed out.

We won’t be going anywhere until we feel it is really safe. We had no celebrations for my 70th, our grandson’s christening was postponed and our holiday to the beach huts on Dunster Beach with my other daughter was cancelled, but we are all alive and well and I have a big garden to go out in. I would love to be on the Scilly Isles or one of those scenic train trips I have been watching on the telly.

Sar53 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:18:36

Unusually for us we hadn't booked a holiday before lockdown.
I have no desire to fly so DH and I are hoping to drive down to the South of France, stopping in hotels/b&b's on the way. We are planning to spend 3 months next year in France so this will be a recce.
We aren't planning to go until late September .
Both of my daughters have booked a week in isolated cottages, one in Devon and one in the New Forest. They both feel a change of scenery and some quality family time is important before the granddaughters go back to school in September. Both SIL's have been working from home and have been very busy.
I think each to their own and everyone has to make their own decisions about what they do.

bluebird243 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:19:33

I rarely go away for a number of reasons. I am content at home with my activities, walking, home, family and garden and luckily have a few beaches/countryside/woods on my doorstep. I also like long days out.

I don't expect others to be the same, people need breaks from work, new sight and experiences and just to relax, let go and have fun. However this can be done within the UK. I would not risk air travel or visiting other countries at the moment.

I have just seen a well off person on the TV more or less having a toddler tantrum as she hasn't been able to have a foreign holiday for 12 weeks. She sounded like a spoilt, entitled brat who cannot put aside her 'right' to her air travel and holidays despite risks to herself and others for any period of time. Not a thought for those out of work, or not being able to afford a holiday or have one for any other reason.

How some people can't go without, without stamping their feet or have the imagination to find other ways to have nice times without jetting off 3-4 times a year is incredible to me. Especially in these times. How on earth they would cope with real hardship and long periods of deprivation, disability, chronic illness or anything which means they can't have their own way 100% of the time?

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 11:22:05

There are so many wonderful places in the world that I'd love to visit that couldn't choose. I doubt I'll ever get to any of them now.

Froglady Mon 29-Jun-20 11:22:57

I'm raring just to have a change of scenery - since lockdown I don't think I have travelled further than 2 miles from my flat. When I decided just to drive into the Yorkshire Dales and spend some time in Kettlewell, the rain hammered down for the next few days, so that was out. Just want to escape and see somewhere different!

trisher Mon 29-Jun-20 11:27:18

Before lockdown I was looking at holidays and places I had missed out on. Wavering between a visit to Italy , Spain and Greece, I was thinking of one in May and another in September. Well we know how that worked out! Pleased I didn't book. Now I'm not sure. I love Monastery Stays for Italy, but I think it's just too risky.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:32:16

I'm not raring to go as I can 'have a good time' at home.
There's no guarantee that it's going to be great and crowds aren't good at the best of times.

I've got a weekend away booked for mid October but I'm not sure I'm really looking forward to it.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 11:32:54

I feel as if I need to go somewhere, but not too far, or risk becoming a happy hermit.

BlueSky Mon 29-Jun-20 11:51:57

My DH has his case packed (metaphorically) while I can't even contemplate the idea of holidays abroad, as much as I enjoy them and as much as I want to see my overseas family again. He's a risk taker and I'm a risk avoider! And no we are not one of those types!

GillT57 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:57:12

For the first time in a long time, we didn't have anything booked further than our trip away in March which had to be cut short. Strangely, I have not been hankering to go away, possible because I am lucky enough to have a lovely garden to sit in and friends and some family close enough by for safely distanced meets in the garden occasionally. As to when we will go away again; we have discussed it theoretically, and agree that we would be worried about getting somewhere overseas and then find ourselves trapped there due to another outbreak. Insurance is another issue. So, we will think again next year.

paddyanne Mon 29-Jun-20 11:57:55

We haven't had a break of any kind since 2011 ,my daughters health problems meant she needed practical support with her 3 children and its been ongoing.The lockdown is the nearest we've had to a holiday because her husbands contracts have all been cancelled and he's home instead of wandering the world.
Thankfully he's loving being there and being a husband and dad for longer than the 2 days a fortnight .Result is we can relax .With our own cntracts being cancelled too its given us a trial of retirement and we might decide not to go back to work when things are back to a new normal.No intention of holidaying anywhere ,home is fantastic

MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:03:16

So, if people do go abroad for a holiday, what is happening about cancellation/health insurance? Surely the cost has gone through the roof due to Covid.

Puedo3 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:16:48

I think holidays abroad are out of the question at the moment. My daughter and I have a big joint birthday celebration planned in October. We are keeping everything crossed that it will be able to go ahead! smile

Davida1968 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:18:50

GillT57 has put my views into words, exactly!
Not going anywhere now, though we so wish we'd been able to go overseas (would be there now) to see DS & family, whom we haven't seen for two years.

larry5 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:26:58

We have had to cancel two holidays, one in May and one in August. Both would have been to France.

Today my sil asked us for dates for next year as I normally look after my dgs but sil will need to take some time off to look after him so needs to book time off. Dd is a teacher so can’t get time off in term time and we like to go away during term time so it is quieter. There is no guarantee that we will be able to go as we both come into the vulnerable category.

Lucca Mon 29-Jun-20 12:51:37

Isn’t it a tad judgmental to talk of people being “obsessed” with holidays in Spain etc ?
Liking a a foreign holiday is quite normal in my view.

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jun-20 13:20:51

I’m not raring to go anywhere right now. But might well be if I were doing a stressful job and bringing up a family and counting the days till we could get away from it all for a couple of weeks of well-earned break. sad I feel sorry for the younger generation, who may never have the chance that I did to travel. And for those with family abroad - I hope you get to see them soon.

MawB Mon 29-Jun-20 13:45:18

As a secondary teacher I often came up against conflicts between the public exam timetable and parental holiday dates.
Some parents were incensed that their childwere not permitted take their French oral or whatever at a different time because it clashed with their holidays. Some parents required us to devise and mark revision courses because their children were missing the 2 weeks before an A level. As for the skiing holidays which impacted the mocks, the less said the better!
While I appreciate that some employers can be inflexible in their holiday rotas or allocation, I was bemused that their children’s academic success came a long way second.
The “right” to an annual family holiday did not even exist in my childhood - yes, if you could afford it you went away but in periods of economic downturn where I lived there was also the “days out” option, now trendily rebranded the “staycation”.

GillT57 Mon 29-Jun-20 13:52:30

Agreed Maggie, it is easy for us, we are retired, and health permitting we can pick up our travels next year, and can travel at very short notice, but for those who are at home 24/7 with small children to be educated and entertained all day I truly understand how the anticipation of a holiday could be very important.

Cabbie21 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:03:24

We would have been going to a cottage in Wales next Saturday but that is of course cancelled. We have no plans to book anything at the moment. DH is shielding and will continue to do so for some time yet.
My daughter runs a holiday cottage in the country and has had no bookings, though seaside cottages are getting booked up rapidly. Her place is Self contained and is ideal for a quiet break, with country walks in a pleasant in crowded area.

Ellianne Mon 29-Jun-20 14:11:16

Callistemon, Bluesky, sorry I said "those types", it would have been better to have worded it "people who enjoy those types of holidays." Just not my cup of tea!

When can people actually get away on package holidays, is there a date? I thought I heard Priti Patel saying don't all rush to book