Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone here had the Shingles vaccination and would you recommend it.

(33 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 30-Jun-20 11:22:54

Yesterday I took a phone call from our doctor’s surgery asking if I wanted to go in for a shingles vaccination. I said I was self isolating so wouldn’t go in to surgery at the moment but might consider it later. I had chickenpox as a baby (all the doctors came out to see the spots all over my head) so guess I could get shingles, that is if I ever get to hug my 2 GC. My husband wasn’t asked if he wanted the jab. Is it something only women get, surely not?
I don’t like having vaccinations so anyone know how effective it is? I know shingles can be very painful.

MawB Tue 30-Jun-20 20:46:40

Apparently shingles can occur if you are run down. That's when mine came on (see above) - I was in bed recovering from bronchitis
Exactly Dinahmo - I just meant to highlight that a lot of older people think they can catch Shingles from their grandchildren if they get chickenpox.
Sorry I was very unclear.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:31:20

Sounds awful Urmstongran. Your poor Mum. I'm happy to have the vaccination. Too young right now though.

Urmstongran Tue 30-Jun-20 20:08:02

My lovely mum suffered with post-herpetic neuralgia after shingles for some 8 years. Poor lady had some very bad days. She used to keep calamine lotion in the fridge to apply liberally to one side of her face (she said she looked like Phantom of the Opera). The damage left her permanently with no feeling in one half of her lips - completely numb and on good days she used to apply her lipstick and comment goodness knows where I’m spreading this!

Deedaa Tue 30-Jun-20 19:54:42

My dear doctor rang me one day and said "Good news! You are now 70 and you can have the Shingles jab!"

I didn't that either being 70 or having an injection was my idea of good news grin but I went along anyway.

By the way anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't have the shingles jab because it's a live vaccine.

GrannySomerset Tue 30-Jun-20 17:46:17

I fell between the two age groups offered the jab a couple of years ago so paid to have it at our local pharmacy (£170 if I remember rightly) because as DH’s career I can’t afford to get shingles. No side effects and peace of mind so a good investment.

Vickicop Tue 30-Jun-20 14:26:52

I had the shingles vaccination a few years ago with no side effects. Last year I did have shingles BUT just the rash, no pain. I would definitely recommend the jab as my mother had pain on and off for years after she caught th evirus.

Dinahmo Tue 30-Jun-20 14:21:21

MawB

25Avalon you don’t get shingles from chickenpox but you can get chickenpox from shingles.
Shingles is very nasty, it can cause years of pain, it can damage your eye sight, it I can be a nightmare particularly for those with a compromised immune system.
The vaccination has no side effects.
Nobody likes vaccinations, but that is not a reason to miss one which is recommended.

My understanding is that chicken pox is an herpes virus which stays in your body, so if you had chicken pox as a child the virus is there.

Apparently shingles can occur if you are run down. That's when mine came on (see above) - I was in bed recovering from bronchitis. We had two kittens who were on the bed and so at first I thought they had fleas. However, my OH had met a friend the day before I pointed the spots out to him and he recognised it. So I went to the GP and it was shingles, caught fairly early.

Also, cold sores are an herpes virus.

Dinahmo Tue 30-Jun-20 14:13:21

Definitely have the jab. I had shingles in my late 30s, around my waist. The most painful thing at the time was painting on the medication. I was still getting the occasional twinge 2 years later. Not too bad.

BUT my OH got it last year. At first, he just had pain in his shoulder and so we thought (including his doctor) that he had pulled a muscle. It was nearly a week later, one Saturday morning, I noticed the rash and took him off to a & e. The doctor on duty recognised it and he had various tests and was given the appropriate medicine. This was January 2019 and he still has post herpetic neuropathy. He has had and still has various pain killers. We have spent quite a lot of money on magnetisseurs, reiki, etc etc (we're in France). He's had capsaicin patches (at the hospital) and has just had the first of two courses of botox injections. He is still in as much pain (although not all the time) as when he first had it. He uses a tens machine at least once a day and also has cold packs which he also uses every day.

SO HAVE THE JAB. And tell your other half. Apparently it is a lot worse in older people. In fact I've heard of elderly people being given morphine because the pain is so strong.

westendgirl Tue 30-Jun-20 14:07:11

As soon as I was eligible I had it. There were no side effects.I wouldn't hesitate , go ahead . !

BlueBelle Tue 30-Jun-20 14:03:45

I had both shingles and pneumonia Jabs when I was offered them at age 70
No side effects at all
My friend who also did have the shingles jab has just had a severe case in her head and face so it’s not foolproof but I thought it well worth having it and glad I did I think it’s a chance in a million to get it after having the jab
You can go to the doctors and hospitals now it’s all very safe so no need to put it off
Is your husband under 70 ? it’s not a gender thing but an age thing

Gajahgran Tue 30-Jun-20 13:54:51

MawB if have had chickenpox you can get Shingles. When you are infectious with Shingles you can pass it to someone else as Chickenpox. I had Chickenpox as a child and apparently it goes into your nerves and can return as Shingles usually when the body is under stress.
I would advise the OP to have the inoculation if she can as it's extremely nasty. I had it in my head the pain was terrible and I ended up with eye damage.

Tigerdove Tue 30-Jun-20 13:24:51

The shingles vaccination does NOT give you immunity from shingles but it does mean if you do get it the effect is considerably reduced

Lucca Tue 30-Jun-20 13:15:39

Quite simply why would you not have it ?

MawB Tue 30-Jun-20 13:02:58

25Avalon you don’t get shingles from chickenpox but you can get chickenpox from shingles.
Shingles is very nasty, it can cause years of pain, it can damage your eye sight, it I can be a nightmare particularly for those with a compromised immune system.
The vaccination has no side effects.
Nobody likes vaccinations, but that is not a reason to miss one which is recommended.

Nanof3 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:57:52

Definitely go ahead. I had it and the pneumonia jab about a year ago and had no problems but it gives me peace of mind as my late MIL had shingles and said it was so bad she felt suicidal.

vickymeldrew Tue 30-Jun-20 12:57:43

You say you ‘don’t like having vaccinations’. Is there anyone on this site who actually likes having vaccinations ?

Sparklefizz Tue 30-Jun-20 12:52:37

Does the Shingles vaccination give lifelong immunity?

TwoWolves Tue 30-Jun-20 12:44:49

My great auntie caught shingles when she was in her 40s. From that, she went on to develop post-herpetic neuralgia, the worst case the doctor had seen, apparently. The condition and the treatments for the condition caused thinning of the skin, so exposing nerves on her head and forehead - and she lived with this until her 80s. It was dreadful. It was a particularly bad case, but if you can do anything at all to lessen the risk of getting it, then go ahead.

Witzend Tue 30-Jun-20 12:41:39

Yes, I had it, once I was eligible. No side effects here.
I did have shingles a few years ago, not nearly as badly as some people have it, but it was still painful and unpleasant for a couple of weeks. I was fit for nothing but lying on the sofa with a book or TV.

I succumbed to it when extremely tired and run down with a stinking cold on top, after a very hectic period, so in any case shall do my best to avoid that combination in future.

eazybee Tue 30-Jun-20 12:37:25

I had the shingles vaccination with no apparent side effects two years ago. I had (a )shingle in 2010, unpleasant, and was under the impression that I couldn't catch it again: untrue.

annsixty Tue 30-Jun-20 12:35:48

Absolutely, go for it.

avitorl Tue 30-Jun-20 12:35:27

I've had with no after effects so would say definitely have it done.

Grandma70s Tue 30-Jun-20 12:32:27

I had the vaccination the moment I became eligible. I had seen my parents’ neighbour suffer pain for years after she had the illness. I had no side effects. I hope it works!

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:27:11

I accepted when I was offered it a few years ago. No side effects and definitely no regrets.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:21

Shingles is horrible. I remember the awful pain my dad was in when he got it on his face - and he was told he was lucky not to have had lasting damage to his eyes. DH had the shingles vaccination last year with no problems at all, and I would have it now if I was offered it.