Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone here had the Shingles vaccination and would you recommend it.

(32 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 30-Jun-20 11:22:54

Yesterday I took a phone call from our doctor’s surgery asking if I wanted to go in for a shingles vaccination. I said I was self isolating so wouldn’t go in to surgery at the moment but might consider it later. I had chickenpox as a baby (all the doctors came out to see the spots all over my head) so guess I could get shingles, that is if I ever get to hug my 2 GC. My husband wasn’t asked if he wanted the jab. Is it something only women get, surely not?
I don’t like having vaccinations so anyone know how effective it is? I know shingles can be very painful.

grannysyb Tue 30-Jun-20 11:27:26

I had it, didn't notice any after effects. You are only offered it if you are a certain age, nothing to do with gender.

shysal Tue 30-Jun-20 11:31:20

Yes, it is being offered to certain age groups at a time. I had it with no side effect.

tanith Tue 30-Jun-20 11:35:58

I had on November along with the pneumococcal vaccine with no problems.

NanTheWiser Tue 30-Jun-20 11:36:51

Definitely have it! Shingles is a horrible disease to get, and if you can avoid it, so much the better. It's only offered to certain age groups, so do take up the offer (I've had the vaccination, no problems after).

Sparklefizz Tue 30-Jun-20 11:37:20

A relative had the Shingles vaccination, and later actually caught Shingles, but had no pain with it at all (I understand that it can be very painful) and only knew he was actually suffering from Shingles because he had the rash...... so I guess the vaccination meant he had it much more mildly than might have been the case.

annodomini Tue 30-Jun-20 11:49:19

A poster in the surgery waiting room alerted me to the fact that I couldn't have the jab if I was over 80 and, at 79, this was my last chance. So I asked for it and - lo and behold - there was an appointment available that very afternoon. I had no after-effects. My sister has had shingles and sometimes, in times of stress, she has a recurrence of symptoms. Definitely have the vaccination.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:21

Shingles is horrible. I remember the awful pain my dad was in when he got it on his face - and he was told he was lucky not to have had lasting damage to his eyes. DH had the shingles vaccination last year with no problems at all, and I would have it now if I was offered it.

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:27:11

I accepted when I was offered it a few years ago. No side effects and definitely no regrets.

Grandma70s Tue 30-Jun-20 12:32:27

I had the vaccination the moment I became eligible. I had seen my parents’ neighbour suffer pain for years after she had the illness. I had no side effects. I hope it works!

avitorl Tue 30-Jun-20 12:35:27

I've had with no after effects so would say definitely have it done.

annsixty Tue 30-Jun-20 12:35:48

Absolutely, go for it.

eazybee Tue 30-Jun-20 12:37:25

I had the shingles vaccination with no apparent side effects two years ago. I had (a )shingle in 2010, unpleasant, and was under the impression that I couldn't catch it again: untrue.

Witzend Tue 30-Jun-20 12:41:39

Yes, I had it, once I was eligible. No side effects here.
I did have shingles a few years ago, not nearly as badly as some people have it, but it was still painful and unpleasant for a couple of weeks. I was fit for nothing but lying on the sofa with a book or TV.

I succumbed to it when extremely tired and run down with a stinking cold on top, after a very hectic period, so in any case shall do my best to avoid that combination in future.

TwoWolves Tue 30-Jun-20 12:44:49

My great auntie caught shingles when she was in her 40s. From that, she went on to develop post-herpetic neuralgia, the worst case the doctor had seen, apparently. The condition and the treatments for the condition caused thinning of the skin, so exposing nerves on her head and forehead - and she lived with this until her 80s. It was dreadful. It was a particularly bad case, but if you can do anything at all to lessen the risk of getting it, then go ahead.

Sparklefizz Tue 30-Jun-20 12:52:37

Does the Shingles vaccination give lifelong immunity?

vickymeldrew Tue 30-Jun-20 12:57:43

You say you ‘don’t like having vaccinations’. Is there anyone on this site who actually likes having vaccinations ?

Nanof3 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:57:52

Definitely go ahead. I had it and the pneumonia jab about a year ago and had no problems but it gives me peace of mind as my late MIL had shingles and said it was so bad she felt suicidal.

MawB Tue 30-Jun-20 13:02:58

25Avalon you don’t get shingles from chickenpox but you can get chickenpox from shingles.
Shingles is very nasty, it can cause years of pain, it can damage your eye sight, it I can be a nightmare particularly for those with a compromised immune system.
The vaccination has no side effects.
Nobody likes vaccinations, but that is not a reason to miss one which is recommended.

Lucca Tue 30-Jun-20 13:15:39

Quite simply why would you not have it ?

Tigerdove Tue 30-Jun-20 13:24:51

The shingles vaccination does NOT give you immunity from shingles but it does mean if you do get it the effect is considerably reduced

Gajahgran Tue 30-Jun-20 13:54:51

MawB if have had chickenpox you can get Shingles. When you are infectious with Shingles you can pass it to someone else as Chickenpox. I had Chickenpox as a child and apparently it goes into your nerves and can return as Shingles usually when the body is under stress.
I would advise the OP to have the inoculation if she can as it's extremely nasty. I had it in my head the pain was terrible and I ended up with eye damage.

BlueBelle Tue 30-Jun-20 14:03:45

I had both shingles and pneumonia Jabs when I was offered them at age 70
No side effects at all
My friend who also did have the shingles jab has just had a severe case in her head and face so it’s not foolproof but I thought it well worth having it and glad I did I think it’s a chance in a million to get it after having the jab
You can go to the doctors and hospitals now it’s all very safe so no need to put it off
Is your husband under 70 ? it’s not a gender thing but an age thing

westendgirl Tue 30-Jun-20 14:07:11

As soon as I was eligible I had it. There were no side effects.I wouldn't hesitate , go ahead . !

Dinahmo Tue 30-Jun-20 14:13:21

Definitely have the jab. I had shingles in my late 30s, around my waist. The most painful thing at the time was painting on the medication. I was still getting the occasional twinge 2 years later. Not too bad.

BUT my OH got it last year. At first, he just had pain in his shoulder and so we thought (including his doctor) that he had pulled a muscle. It was nearly a week later, one Saturday morning, I noticed the rash and took him off to a & e. The doctor on duty recognised it and he had various tests and was given the appropriate medicine. This was January 2019 and he still has post herpetic neuropathy. He has had and still has various pain killers. We have spent quite a lot of money on magnetisseurs, reiki, etc etc (we're in France). He's had capsaicin patches (at the hospital) and has just had the first of two courses of botox injections. He is still in as much pain (although not all the time) as when he first had it. He uses a tens machine at least once a day and also has cold packs which he also uses every day.

SO HAVE THE JAB. And tell your other half. Apparently it is a lot worse in older people. In fact I've heard of elderly people being given morphine because the pain is so strong.