Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

PayPal question re lending money

(5 Posts)
DeeDum Sat 04-Jul-20 10:28:29

Hi
I've been lending my brother money using friends and family on PayPal around the last fiveyears
Can someone tell me how I can get the total as he wants to start paying me back
But stupidity neither of us are sure of total amount?
Is there away I can trace just the payments to him?
Thanks x

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:56:48

Log onto your account.
Two ways to find what you want,

At the top you will see ACTIVITY. Click on that and choose ALL TRANSACTIONS.
You can look back as far as you want.

Or
On home page on left is INSIGHTS - choose MONEY OUT (view transactions).

Your brother could do same - but he would look at MONEY IN.

Sending you two images to show you the above.

Elegran Sat 04-Jul-20 13:06:36

You say " using friends and family on PayPal " Do you mean the individual loans are scattered around, using other people's accounts? If so, I don't know how you did it, but tracing the sums and adding them up would be a nightmare. Does he have a Paypal account that family and friends have helped you put money into, or have you sent money to these people, who then handed money to your brother? I don't understand the mechanism.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 04-Jul-20 18:00:53

Elegran

There are two options with PayPal when sending money to someone:

1. Friends and family - no paypal fee smile
2. Business transaction: Buying item or service - charged paypal fee 2.9% and this comes out of what you send.

Difference is that Paypal will help with refunds if there's a problem with what you have bought and the person/company won't give a refund or replacement. The fee covers this.

They won't help if anything when you opt to tick the "friends and family" box.

I should imagine that's why DeeDum used that option. Her brother wouldn't have got all she was lending him with the other option. e.g. Lend £1000 as a business transaction and the receiver will receive £971. Same applies when he pays her back. He'll have to tick the 'friends and family' option.

Elegran Sat 04-Jul-20 18:06:49

Thanks, woodmouse I don't use Paypal much and didn't know that.