Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has your Neighbourhood changed

(38 Posts)
H1954 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:02:35

Specifically, has your immediate Neighbourhood changed during lockdown? We are a mix of ages, some with young families and some retired etc, at the start someone set up a social network page to enable everyone to check on each other but also to ask for help if required.

This all worked very well to begin with but now seems to have soured somewhat.

There now appears to be a bully culture developing, a couple of individuals are turning people against each other to the point of certain very elderly couples who have known each other for decades no longer associate and it's so sad.

One person in particular is really manipulative and wastes no time in passing derogatory remarks online against others for no apparently reason.

I keep my distance to be honest; if a question is asked directly to me I will respond and will genuinely help out if anyone is struggling. On the whole I find the dynamics have morphed into several cliques and there is no community spirit left.

Is this happening around you?

Sparklefizz Fri 10-Jul-20 10:42:48

I live in a cul-de-sac of 6 houses and everyone was lovely and friendly when I moved in 24 years ago, but the whole dynamic has changed as lives have moved on.

There have been 2 divorces, 3 deaths and selling up. Two people have moved a new partner into their homes and the friendliness and sociability has disappeared. The house nextdoor to me is now rented out to a young couple who have friends round for BBQs and ignore social distancing, and a young family who moved into the house that was sold are very quiet and keep to themselves.

We used to have a monthly Girls Night for all 6 female residents in the Close, drinks parties, coffee mornings etc etc but over the last 10 years, nothing. People, including the new residents, do say hello if we pass in the street but that's all.

Craftycat Fri 10-Jul-20 11:02:26

We moved her in 1998. It is a cul de sac of about 40 houses.
It is & has always been a very friendly community & we have regular street parties & look out for each other.
It used to be mainly older people & when we moved in with 2 teenage boys I think it raised a few eyebrows but they were good lads & never caused any problems.
Now it is very mixed & we have a lot of young couples with small children & babies.
We keep in touch with group chats on Whatsapp etc & if you ever need anyone to feed your cats, take a parcel in or borrow a hammer you don't have far to look.
I think we are very fortunate & I love our road.
Unfortunately they are trying to build a small new estate on the fields at the end of the road & are trying to use our road as the entrance to it- so no more quiet cul de sac!. This has galvanised us even more & we have all pulled together to object to this. We have no problem with the houses but they already have an access from another road where they have bought & intend to pull down a house to provide access so we just do not see why they need another. They are also trying to get permission to use our road as access for all the construction vehicles etc that they will be using to build the estate.
We are worried that if they get the go ahead -& our council are hopeless- then our lifestyles will change dramatically.
Hopefully sense will prevail but it is a trying time for us all.

inishowen Fri 10-Jul-20 11:42:47

Our neighbourhood has improved. We moved here when everyone seemed to have teenage children who played football on the street, and were generally loud! Now they're all grown up and visit with their own little children. Peace at last.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Jul-20 12:07:52

Nobody's any different to what they've always been here. All acknowledge you just the same as always. Nothing's changed.
Always been quiet and still is. No wonder there's been 109 enquiries about a flat here !

It's a mixture of quite expensive private housing and rentals and those renting have been here for quite some time so not a quick turn-over by any means. Lucky really. It's a good mix

Suzan05 Fri 10-Jul-20 13:04:25

No change here. We live in a cul de sac, no one bothers with anyone else and it hasn’t changed. Our neighbours on one side speak when we see them but it isn’t very often.

Aepgirl Fri 10-Jul-20 16:07:37

I have to say that our ‘end’ of the road has been absolutely delightful during lockdown.,I have spoken (at distance) to neighbours I have never met before, and word gets round if anybody has a birthday and we gather outside their house to sing Happy Birthday - nothing rowdy, and we disperse immediately afterwards. We have even started to have quizzes, from our own front gardens, occasionally.

Kim19 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:12:07

Much improved in my area. I've learned the names of a couple who've been here for years but seldom seen because they were working. It's also a joy to see the wee ones out on their bikes etc., now that the traffic has virtually disappeared. We also had a pretty successful street party organised by the younger mums. All good methinks.

etheltbags1 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:24:17

We all keep ourselves to ourselves, I'm usually at work but over lockdown I've noticed more. The normally quiet guy next door had meltdown last night after a row in the family, he tried to put a garden seat thro the window ending with police being called, the next few houses sit out smoking cannabis , one family run an illegal business. I never knew anyone lives until I was on furlough. Btw all these families are working or retired all very respectable on the outside but underneath all coping with their lives the best way they can at the minute. One if the cannabis users is a health worker.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 21:26:54

No change here , no one knows no one, it’s a main road a really long road about 700 houses or more I know my next door next door neighbours to say hello to and that’s it, not had any community spirit no one checked if I m ok but then I would have been shocked if they had, I could be dead a week and no one would know well thats not true of course because my daughter is in touch every day at least once or more
I think you’re lucky to live in a street where you know people

Chewbacca Fri 10-Jul-20 22:00:38

I've only lived here for 12 months and so was still getting to know my neighbours and the area before lockdown began. Someone started up a neighbourhood Facebook and invited everyone to join. During lockdown there were posts every day offering assistance to those who needed it; lawns mowed, prescriptions collected, shopping done etc. Many people took the opporti7to have a sort out in the garages, lots and garden sheds and they then put a notice on Facebook that everyone was welcome to go and look through their discarded stuff and take anything that they could make use of. I personally was given a lovely garden swing hammock chair and cushions, garden table and chairs, books and plants. This weekend, we're having another "garden party", in a different neighbour's garden, something that began over the VE Day celebrations weekend and has continued once a month.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Jul-20 22:02:53

Note to self: proof read before posting

opporti7to opportunity to
lots lofts

POBCOB Mon 13-Jul-20 13:13:12

Too many short term rented properties in my area now which is a shame but even before it was only when we seen people that we stopped to chat and with everyone dashing off to central London to work that wasn’t often. Now that we are early retirees we are moving soon so hopefully the community will be a little more active.