Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you think

(14 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 13-Jul-20 17:04:10

It feels too close ( in family terms) to me, I wouldn’t be happy about it.
The more far flung the gene pool the better.

Thistlelass Mon 13-Jul-20 17:00:04

I worked with someone (social worker) who had married her cousin and had a child so ... The relationship did not work out. No issue with second cousins here. Strange things happen in this life. I also knew two Sunday School teacher cousins who were married with a wee girl - when I was a child ( only realised when a bit older). Nice people.

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 20:51:01

The increased chances re health problems are very small for 2 cousins marrying. It increases if keeps happening in each generation.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jul-20 18:16:16

No problem with me it wouldn’t horrify me

Sussexborn Sun 12-Jul-20 18:13:17

A friend at college had moved from the north to the Sussex coast because of the outrage in her family when she and her cousin fell for each other. She lived with him and her parents in a caravan park. I guess there is a higher possibility of inheriting some health problems but otherwise I don’t think it matters.

Loislovesstewie Sun 12-Jul-20 18:10:05

I never fancied any of my cousins ! And there is an issue where first cousins keep marrying generation after generation as some illnesses are more likely to be found, but it is possible to have testing to find out if it's likely to happen . The gene pool becomes smaller,obviously.

kircubbin2000 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:59:46

My son lived with his for 5 years before finding out .They were both so horrified that they broke up.

sodapop Sun 12-Jul-20 17:56:51

My only concern would be for any genetically transmitted illnesses which could possibly be a double whammy in this case. I don't know if blood tests are still required in USA.

Smileless2012 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:46:55

It wouldn't be an issue for me.

Hithere Sun 12-Jul-20 17:32:00

No biggie

Grammaretto Sun 12-Jul-20 17:14:33

A young American friend of ours married her first cousin. Again it is or at least, was quite legal.
Seems odd to me. Their wedding invitation showed them playing together in the playpen.

It used to be extremely commonpace in my family in the 19th century. My gt grandmother married her first cousin and in their family several others married 1st cousins too.
I imagine it was something to do with money or perhaps they were all a bit weird! (no-one else would have them?)

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:05:11

It's legal. Not a problem!

Summerlove Sun 12-Jul-20 16:51:52

As I know and grew up with most of my second cousins, I find it odd.

However, if you don’t grow up together as a close family, I can see how it would happen easily

ninathenana Sun 12-Jul-20 16:49:16

A book I'm reading is about the relationship that is struck up between second cousins i.e. the off spring of two cousins. They have only recently met as his immediate family have lived in US for years.
This has caused a stir in the small town where she grew up and several members of both families still live

I'm curious to know how you would feel if it was your family. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Second cousins are fairly distant.