Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Knickers.

(58 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 13-Jul-20 12:01:20

I really need some new knickers.

I like high leg, plain white cotton ones. Size 10-12. Not frumpy, but not skimpy.

My existing ones are P.....x, (well known brand). They have been very good, but have not bought any for a while as I bulk bought last lot.

Looking online however, the reviews for hopefully the same ones are not encouraging, the usual- thinner material, flimsy, just not the same quality as previous.

Any suggestions or recommendations please?

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 13:48:50

I flukily bought a 3 pack of M&S high waist pants 2 years ago. I found they were perfect so went back to get more and they were on 3 for 2 so I bought more. What luck. I'm still happy with them and they wash like new. Bet I'd never find them again though.

Tweedle24 Sun 19-Jul-20 12:06:28

Sloggis for me too Although, I have been partly converted to the Giggle Knickers mentioned onhere

Alexa Sun 19-Jul-20 11:27:35

Pride and dignity, ladymuck, are moveable feasts.

ladymuck Thu 16-Jul-20 11:01:17

How standards have dropped, Alexa! Where has our pride and dignity gone?

Alexa Thu 16-Jul-20 10:58:43

Buttocks are much displayed now. In my mother's day it was rude to show the gluteal cleft.

DanniRae Thu 16-Jul-20 10:31:11

I'm in the 'As long as they are clean I don't give a flying f* club!' grin

Nannylovesshopping Wed 15-Jul-20 21:48:20

I’m in the got to match club?

lemongrove Wed 15-Jul-20 20:23:25

Freeandeasy

Me too lemongrove black, white and nude (for under white trousers) for me too. Like you, they all have to match.

We’re a dying breed Free grin

GrandmaMoira Wed 15-Jul-20 19:36:29

I used to buy high leg but now find full briefs more comfortable and also look better if wearing something tight or stretchy. I use either M&S or Sainsburys, Sainsburys being sized a bit larger.

grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:31:38

Knicker if you can have it singularly!

grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:30:43

I like high leg and high waist but you can't seem to get both in one knickers. Anyone know where they can be found?

Freeandeasy Wed 15-Jul-20 18:37:24

Me too lemongrove black, white and nude (for under white trousers) for me too. Like you, they all have to match.

DanniRae Wed 15-Jul-20 13:44:44

M & S for me always. I have plain black midi ones and silky and lacy, black, midi ones depending which ones I grab out of the drawer. I also have white ones for when I am feeling in a white underwear mood - don't ask!! wink

Nonogran Wed 15-Jul-20 12:30:44

Sloggi cotton ones everytime for me with some higher waisted M&S silky nylon ones occasionally. I like the smooth feeling my silky nylon ones allow when pulling on a pair of fitted trousers!

lemongrove Wed 15-Jul-20 12:20:22

M&S for me.I used to buy Sloggi but prefer the M&S ones.
True, not the thicker cotton they used to be ( no cotton is as thick as it was) but still pretty and reasonable quality after many machine washes.I only buy in three colours, white, black and nude to match my bras ( I have to wear matching!)

Davida1968 Wed 15-Jul-20 11:55:22

Another vote here for Sloggi maxi knickers. I've had mine for years and I find they wash/wear well. They're 95% cotton with 5% "Lycra Elastane" - for stretch. So comfy!

glammanana Wed 15-Jul-20 11:32:29

Same here EV I have 2 x new packs of knicks in my hospital bag all ready if ever needed .
My mum used to always buy Ethel Austin all cotton double gusset they resembled wind socks.

EllanVannin Wed 15-Jul-20 10:43:10

This is what I miss buying. Each time I went to Asda food shopping I used to throw a couple of £4.50 packs in the trolley so I'd built up quite a collection. Just ordinary cotton 12/14 size as providing they're new/clean, who cares ?

I wash them in a 60 degree wash so their lifespan is shorter than would normally be in a cooler wash---hence the many packs that I used to buy. I've probably got 4 or 5 packs of 5 left in my drawer.
I've definitely got a thing about new knickers grin If I was ever taken into hospital ? This is what I think about.

henetha Wed 15-Jul-20 10:13:56

Sloggi for me . Comfortable and supportive. And they do them in colours now as well as black and white.

DanniRae Wed 15-Jul-20 09:55:39

BlueSky - grin

Nanna58 Wed 15-Jul-20 09:16:46

Nude pants hard to find now, but vital for under white trousers, will use some of the places mentioned to track down!!!

BlueSky Wed 15-Jul-20 08:30:45

Danni at least she was wearing them! grin

DanniRae Wed 15-Jul-20 07:30:22

Further to the post about white knickers showing through white trousers. A while ago I met up with someone I know in the supermarket. She is rather a boastful woman and our conversation consisted of her telling me all the wonderful things her family have done. Eventually she ran out of steam and after we said goodbye I watched her walk away with her white with a blue floral design knickers clearly showing through her white trousers. Ashamed to say that it amused me no end - especially as she is fond of tight trousers - not a good look when you have a huge backside!!

craftyone Wed 15-Jul-20 07:19:46

They look professional, with stretch satin binding around the edges, can also be made in stretch lace with a cotton gusset. A good use for tired t shirts

Puzzler61 Wed 15-Jul-20 07:19:19

I found ideal knickers from Bon Marche, well priced, and then they were discontinued. So it’s back to M&S.
They start off a suitable shape, but after many washes they seem to go out of kilter - but perhaps it’s the shape of my derrière that is the cause ! ?