Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wigs for hair loss

(65 Posts)
JuliaM Wed 15-Jul-20 14:24:22

Recently, since going through the menopause, my already fine hair has started to thin and come out in handfuls everytime I brush it. Its now got to the stage that my scalp is showing through all.over my head, and its suprisingly chilly sometimes unless l wear a hat, which is not very practical indoors when out for meals, or attending clinics ect. Im now considering trying a wig, but being as they are so expensive for anything other than a dressing up party type wig, im rather nervous of making one big mistake that the shop will not accept back for an exchange or refund. Do any other Gransnet members have a similar problem, and if so, how do you deal with it please?

Bluecat Thu 16-Jul-20 15:38:06

I have always had thick hair until I started on a daily cocktail of medication for my heart. Now it seems to come out alarmingly. I am assuming it is a side effect, though I don't know if it is just due to getting older.

I don't have any personal experience of wigs, except as a beholder, but my advice would be to get the very best you can afford. We have a very nice woman in our U3A who sometimes wears one and sometimes doesn't. I don't know why, as I can't see anything wrong with her own hair. Maybe she just wants a change. Unfortunately, it isn't a very good one and seems to perch stiffly on her head like a hat. I would definitely try to get the most natural-looking one possible. I know that this is obvious advice but the quality does seem to vary considerably.

Caro57 Thu 16-Jul-20 16:01:19

Have a look at YouTube - Look Fabulous Forever, Tricia did a video around a wig she purchased during lock down, lots of helpful, supportive tips

Kayjay Thu 16-Jul-20 16:16:23

My hair is genetically fine and thin then, when I started taking steroids for a medical condition a couple of years ago, it just got worse. It was affecting my life, so much so that I didn't like going out as I felt so embarrassed. A friend of mine mentioned that her sister wore a long wig since having chemo, and recommended a local lady who supplied and fitted them. After a free consultation, she ordered three wigs for me to try and I chose a petite synthetic one from Ellen Wille which I then had cut and styled. What a game changer. For the first time in years I felt confident and looked amazing (for me!!). I'm now on my third wig (all the same style) and wear it all and every day. Don't hesitate - go for it!

narrowboatnan Thu 16-Jul-20 17:44:13

How do you stop them (the wigs) from moving on your head? Or coming off altogether at an inoportune moment?

Also, if you have your own hair still but fancy a wig to ring the changes, how do you stop it from showing around the edges?

Serious questions. I need to know these things.

JuliaM Thu 16-Jul-20 19:11:00

Crafty Granny, yes, Idohave regular full blood screenings done, including the Thyroxine levels as partofmy Diabetic check ups, but thankfully they appear normal. My new wig is from the online Uk based Simply Wigs store, and is made by Gisella Mayer. the old style wigs of years ago were indeed quite heavy and sweaty, and always had that tell tale circular stitch of hair at the crown, my own Mum bought one of these in the 1980s after having a mastectomy that left her struggling to style her own hair and lift her arms up propperly. The latest modern ones are much lighter, have better fitting types of caps, and now come in a choice of sizes, no longer a ' One size fits all! The company that I have bought mine from do an excellent detailed video of all the different features of each wig, including a view of the inside of the cap and all its features. The part that I did struggle with was choosing the correct colour, an actual swatch or sample of the hair shades would have been much more acurate and easy to choose from than rather taking 'pot luck' on a computer screen!

Musicgirl Thu 16-Jul-20 20:37:36

Just a thought but have you had your thyroid tested recently? Hair loss is one of the most common symptoms of an underactive thyroid. Hope you get the answers and treatment you need.

Musicgirl Thu 16-Jul-20 20:38:33

Sorry. Only just seen your comment directly above.

sharon103 Thu 16-Jul-20 21:49:06

As Nagmad2016 said you can buy a colour powder to hide thinner places and partings where the scalp shows.
I colour my hair and use it in between colouring when the roots show through.
My sister has used a spray cover up but says that it made her hair sticky.
I use W7 cover up hair root camouflage kit It comes in a long case with a block of colour powder, a double edged brush and a long mirror on the lid.
It is brilliant. I highly recommend it and it really does make the hair look thicker. I but mine from either Ebay or Amazon. Costs vary but can range from £4.99 upwards. Usually free postage.
Colours include, light brown, medium brown, dark brown, blonde and black.
Make sure you buy the powder compact and not the Pen which they also make. I bought one once by mistake and didn't like it.
I have no connection with this company, This is my review of the product.

LullyDully Fri 17-Jul-20 08:20:11

narrowboatnan. toupe tape and oil silk fabric bought from simply wigs on line.

MaryXYX Fri 17-Jul-20 16:14:58

This thread seemed to go off topic quite quickly so I don't know if anyone attempted to answer the question. I simply went to a wig fitter and discussed possibilities before buying one.

Kayjay Fri 17-Jul-20 21:22:24

narrowboatnan I use a velvet adjustable wig grip headband. You can tuck your hair up underneath as I do and it won't show. If you prefer, you can use a wig cap too, but my hair is so fine I don't need one. Lots of info on YouTube and also check out similywigs.co.uk. Hope this helps.

easered Tue 11-Jan-22 23:59:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Daisydaisydaisy Mon 14-Feb-22 12:48:01

Hi there
My hair is begining to thin and I found a lovely Lady on You Tube...search Sugar Puff and Fluff....Nuska(spelling?) often wears wigs including Marilyn Monroe glam ones.Nushka feels it's entirely normal and doesnt think twice about wearing one .
I would def think about wearing hair pieces that clip in all because of this ladies advice.smile

allidog Mon 11-Dec-23 19:17:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.