Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grumpy old men

(9 Posts)
mumofmadboys Sun 27-Feb-22 00:03:25

Can you talk to him about it Joesoap? Is he aware he is doing it or has he got into a bad habit? Let him know how it makes you feel.

Skydancer Sat 26-Feb-22 18:42:36

I sometimes call my DH by the name of Victor Meldrew. The worst is in the car. He goes on and on about other drivers and how useless they are. He likes to complain about anything and everything. It's his nature. I've learned to ignore it.

Rosiecat Sat 26-Feb-22 18:36:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosalyn69 Thu 30-Jul-20 14:12:24

I have one of these. He morphed on retirement and lock down has made it worse. He’s a real soul sucker at times. Thank goodness for dog walks and at least now I can take myself out and leave him to it.
I don’t think he knows he’s like it.

Bluebellwould Thu 30-Jul-20 13:43:10

You cannot change his behaviour, you can only change yours. Do something different, I used to start humming or whistling which really annoyed him. Go into another room, go to the loo, anything at all to break his momentum. You are not responsible for his moods so don’t take on the burden of guilt and there’s nothing that says you have to listen or fix them. Good luck.

Rufus2 Thu 30-Jul-20 13:36:10

we are all getting grumpier)!
BlueSky Please speak for yourself! I'm not! grin
Remember; "Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute!"

Soozikinzi Thu 30-Jul-20 10:32:07

My husband is like this I call him the joyshredder if you’re feeling chirpy that day he has to bring you down. To be fair my husband has had 2 strokes and a TIA and is on medication for depression. Do you think your husband is depressed?

BlueSky Thu 30-Jul-20 10:29:59

Has he always been like that Joesoap? If not I guess it's to do with the lockdown plus natural ageing (we are all getting grumpier)!

Joesoap Thu 30-Jul-20 09:23:33

I would like advice from GN,s please.I have a very grumpy Husband,who every morning when I get up, starts complaining or moaning about something, sometimes he moans about something he was upset about the previous day, he cant let things go.I am so fed up wtih his behaviour day after day, my days are spoilt from the beginning.He has to be right about everything,and will argue until I give in, it is so depressing always being in the wrong.Any suggestions from someone in the same position would be appreciated.