Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Coming back to the UK after 45 years living abroad.

(145 Posts)
kittylester Fri 31-Jul-20 09:56:47

Not sure if this is in the correct place but I know there is a wealth of info out there.

What would someone's position be in the above situation as far as benefits, pensions, health service etc are concerned?

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Anniel Sun 09-Aug-20 02:49:22

My parents took us to Australia when i was 14. I had no say but i kept my British passport and after a career in public service in PNG we returned to UK in 1975. I feel no shame whatsoever returning to my homeland. My father gought in the war and i was still able to work in UK as was my British husband. We contributef as much if not more than some of the people making nasty comments here. Kitty was asking for relevant information but some of you have to jibe at her family. Do you feel the same about yhe Romanians camping in central London or the many thousands of illegal immigrants flooding here? I for one have every sympathy for people living under an evil discriminatory govt in South African govt. These people face persecution just like yhe Syrians and Iraqis arriving in UK. I feel some comments are absolutely distasteful and lack any compassion. I wish you and your family all the best Kitty. Pay no attention to nasty remarks.

Fennel Fri 07-Aug-20 12:24:59

We had SA friends when we lived in France, they still had a family and business in SA. They went through all the hoops to get french citizenship, and as soon as they had that they moved back to SA. Maybe they came to France to get citizenship as a safetynet?
He had a french name.

Callistemon Thu 06-Aug-20 23:02:04

When I went to Australia last year a lot of South Africans had recently emigrated there, mostly Afrikaans farmers I think.

kittylester Thu 06-Aug-20 21:56:54

They do live on the property of their daughter and her husband. The thing is, everyone needs to keep working as the country is in such a state.

NfkDumpling Thu 06-Aug-20 21:39:49

South Africa is a beautiful country Kitty, I can understand why your DB would have stayed when the opportunity arose. I do hope they find a way to keep safe and he manages to stay with his children out there. Coming home will be very difficult and confusing for him after living there for so long. Can he and your SiL move in with one of their children?

kittylester Thu 06-Aug-20 20:51:41

CountessFosco

Yes, but we HAVE come back, after 44 years of absence.

But, as I said, they are not intending to come back - I was wondering what would happen IF they did decide to.

loopyloo Thu 06-Aug-20 19:43:42

Perhaps it would be better to stay in SA and hire people to care for the gentleman. Paying for care in UK , say in a dementia unit is about £1,000 a week at least.

CountessFosco Thu 06-Aug-20 18:56:51

Yes, but we HAVE come back, after 44 years of absence.

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 13:59:34

Thank you Countess for your offer but my op was a question about if they came back.

CountessFosco Wed 05-Aug-20 13:15:30

Looked in my inbox just a moment ago, but there is no message from you. Perhaps you feel you are best off dealing with this delicate situation yourself. But otherwise, here to help.

Callistemon Mon 03-Aug-20 16:52:03

GagaJo

Callistemon

Daftbag unfortunately that story was repeated many times over, to many who opposed Mugabe whether black or white.

Was it a true story Callistemon?

I don't know about that particular one, Gagajo, but I do know of others.
Perhaps I wasn't clear, I meant events like that did happen and not just to white people.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 10:39:06

*Ramaphosa

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 09:29:28

And there were great hopes for Cyril Ramaprose (sp) and that isnt going well either.

GagaJo Mon 03-Aug-20 09:12:51

SilentGames

You don’t see much on the media about what has been happening in SA and the farmers. Dare I say certain posters on here would probably say they got their come uppance. Black or white skin isn’t the evil, it’s those who thrive on power. Mugabe is not exactly democratic is he? I think some of the third world countries have such corrupt leaders and ready to kill their own people.

Mugabe died last year.

GagaJo Mon 03-Aug-20 09:11:28

Callistemon

Daftbag unfortunately that story was repeated many times over, to many who opposed Mugabe whether black or white.

Was it a true story Callistemon?

Linda369 Sun 02-Aug-20 19:42:17

We moved back to the UK from Botswana over 20 years ago. Then Daughter could not attend college immediately unless we paid overseas rates for 2? years so she had to wait to do her A levels. Hubby had continued to pay National insurance whilst we were overseas so now his pension is OK. Getting credit to furnish our home was very tricky because of course we had no financial history here but we also had no debt which did not seem to count for anything. We got there eventually but first 2 years were very hard.

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 15:08:56

SueDonim Sun 02-Aug-20 14:58:39

It’s been legal to hold both American and UK citizenship for some time now. My son has had dual nationality for 15+ years and his children are also dual-nationals.

SilentGames Sun 02-Aug-20 14:53:05

You don’t see much on the media about what has been happening in SA and the farmers. Dare I say certain posters on here would probably say they got their come uppance. Black or white skin isn’t the evil, it’s those who thrive on power. Mugabe is not exactly democratic is he? I think some of the third world countries have such corrupt leaders and ready to kill their own people.

CountessFosco Sun 02-Aug-20 13:54:38

Countless Afrikaans-speaking farmers have been robbed, looted, burned and raped in the recent past. Going a similar way to Zim.

maddyone Sun 02-Aug-20 11:40:23

daftbag
What a terrible story. All those years providing care to other people, and then that terrible ending.

GagaJo Sun 02-Aug-20 11:14:50

EllanVannin

----------> I had no time for Mandela.

Is this a quote, or is it what you believe EV?

Because if it is what you believe, I would say that it isn't for white people OR non SA to say whether he was good or bad. He was revered by black SA's. That is the important thing.

kittylester Sun 02-Aug-20 11:08:09

Lovely post daftbag, thank you.

DD2 is married to a white Zimbabwean so I can relate what happened to his relatives to that story.

Daftbag1 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:01:02

Having responded to the OP with information, now I will put something TRUE f o reward to those who believe that OP 'has a cheek thinking they can get help......'

10 years ago, I worked in charitable housing for older people. The LA contacted me to ask that I could help. The story......

Mrs X moved to Rhodesia as was in 50's as a missionary with Mr X, encouraged by British govt. Lived there for nearly 50yrs in rural areas providing medical care (husband), & teaching Mrs X, along with other missionary staff as & when. Rhodesia was their adopted home, they had their children there, because of their remote location, politics and change pretty much passed them by and they were adopted by the local residents.

Until everything changed. In 2006, a group of men arrived in the settlement, the locals were terrified and hid the British couple (now in their early 80's), & a visiting nurse (58 yrs old), were dragged out of their home. The husband was tied to a pole and forced to watch as several men raped his wife and the visiting nurse. When both women lost consciousness, Mr X was murdered.

The nurse subsequently died but Mrs X survived and returned to UK. She had nothing, just the memories both good and bad. She was entitled to nothing as a 'foreigner', hence the LA approach to us. We rehoused her and arranged for grants to cover living costs.

Her case was perhaps extreme, but she was one of many to whom the Government had made promises having encouraged them to moved abroad in the first place.

No entitlements? Maybe but these people were not alone. I believe that this forgotten generation should be helped. There are plenty of residents who have never paid a penny of tax or ni contributions and they get help. All British passport holders should be entitled to the same help when residing in Britain.

MawB Sun 02-Aug-20 10:49:40

The U.K. is a very different place from 45 years ago though isn’t it?
I think the culture shock including absence of friends who may have died, moved to other areas or with whom one has just lost contact would take a lot to overcome especially in one’s later years. I know BIL really doesn’t cope but tries to ignore the aspects which he doesn’t like.
Ex-pats can get caught in an uncomfortable limbo and I don’t envy them.