Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How to get rid of an obscenely large no. of bags for charity?

(34 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Wed 05-Aug-20 09:17:12

Everyone in my family has had a massive clear-through & this has resulted in 36 sackfuls to go to charity. All the local charity shops are no longer accepting donations & due to covid, Traid & British Heart Foundation are no longer coming out. Any other ideas how I can pass this stuff on?

Callistemon Wed 05-Aug-20 14:48:37

Luckygirl there is a Waring and Gillow dinner service for sale on Ebay for £390.

Of course, it is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. ?

Daddima Wed 05-Aug-20 14:50:56

One of my neighbours works for a homeless charity, and is happy to take donations. Our village foodbank takes clothes now also, and I’m sure the Social Work Dept would be able to point you in the right direction.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Aug-20 14:57:23

This thread just shows that local charity shops have different needs and rules! A friend works in one near me and told me never to worry about whether clothes are saleable as they make a lot of money from selling on any surplus textiles. And they do a great trade in books as well.

There’s no excuse for giving them soiled goods of any sort though.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Aug-20 15:08:39

Luckygirl, I was given the job of finding 120 sets of vintage china (side plates, cups and saucers) for my DD2’s barn wedding reception 10 years ago today. smile It took me ages, trawling car boot sales and charity shops. They came in for a couple of other celebrations too. I eventually got rid of them last year. My friend’s charity shop took the lot and I was really surprised that they were all snapped up within a week!

Callistemon Wed 05-Aug-20 16:40:25

I was told by a volunteer that Russian people have bought a lot of vintage china from local charity shops here.

Apparently it is very collectable in Australia too.

Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 17:02:43

Callistemon - thank you for that info.

Callistemon Wed 05-Aug-20 18:01:34

And, as Maggiemaybe said, very popular for weddings here too, but mismatched, so I've heard.

Unfortunately there are no weddings at the moment.

MerylStreep Wed 05-Aug-20 20:49:37

luckygirl
Apologies if my post wasn't clear Re clothing. The company we use ( for rag) accept shoes and bags.
Most of our rag is re-sorted and sold on to African countries and Eastern Europe.
I think my sex toys together with the fluffy handcuffs, and gimp mask trumps Marydolls long johns ?
We knew we had a buyer for the handcuffs and mask ?