Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Eat Out to Help Out?

(83 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 09-Aug-20 16:52:15

Has anyone participated in this scheme yet? Seems to be a success so far, from what I've read.

Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for lunch at Westfield, Shepherds Bush, to give it a go - all hands to the pump! ?

ginny Mon 10-Aug-20 22:16:23

Used the scheme 3 times. Lunch with 4 year old DGS.
Lunch with DD1 and DGS 17.
Dinner with DH. All local restaurants and all outside tables.
Will be using it again on Wednesday evening.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-20 22:25:39

Haven’t eaten anywhere that’s taking part yet ?

harrigran Mon 10-Aug-20 23:20:01

No I haven't been out for a meal. We are ordering restaurant food which is delivered to the house.

Esspee Tue 11-Aug-20 07:05:15

Ate out last night for the first time since lockdown. Not a pleasant experience so we intend to go back to ordering and collecting.

Lucca Tue 11-Aug-20 07:33:55

Esspee

Ate out last night for the first time since lockdown. Not a pleasant experience so we intend to go back to ordering and collecting.

Out of interest, why ? Was it the food or the Safety aspect ?

Ellianne Tue 11-Aug-20 07:44:00

Ate out again last night this time in a pub on the patio. I wouldn't advise it compared with our lovely lunchtime experience in a restaurant garden. Far too much circulating by both staff and customers. It was the ordering of 2 or 3 drinks throughout the meal that created extra traffic, plus the need for the toilet with the extra liquid intake, and also people going to check the specials board inside. I will be back to the restaurants next week.

LullyDully Tue 11-Aug-20 08:21:09

We went to a pub with a garden yesterday with family. We had to read the menu on our phones, decide what to eat and photograph the symbol on the table. This ordered the food and it was brought to the table. All very slick . There were portable toilets outside also.
Not much choice on the menu however. I had fish and chips rather than a healthy salad!

I must say if just the two of us had gone I wouldn't have managed the technology. Thank goodness for the young.

Franbern Tue 11-Aug-20 08:48:37

Went to the indoors dining area of a local chippery. They always offer a lot more than just fish and chips. Took two of my daughters and three primary school aged gchildren.
It was a good experience. They have reduced the number of tables in there -this means that we were not at all close to other diners. All menus were paper and disposed off once we used them. Lovely waitress, in mask, condiments all in those little sachets. Sanitiser available. As we only had soft drinks with our meal (me - a pot of tea), it meant our bill was 50% discounted. Left the normal amount of 10% of the bill for the waitress.

Aepgirl Tue 11-Aug-20 09:56:46

My bother is that in the end it’s we who pay taxes that will have to pay this back.
I really don’t think it should be available in fast food outlets.

Bella51 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:14:53

Yes we use it. It's very good here in N I and a lot of cafés and hotels are participating.

Topcat7 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:15:13

Yes used it twice now in 2 different cafes one in Milton Keynes and one in Basingstoke. I would have gone to these places anyway but it is nice to get 50% off your bill. Both places excellent in following the guidelines.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:18:18

Aepgirl

My bother is that in the end it’s we who pay taxes that will have to pay this back.
I really don’t think it should be available in fast food outlets.

Whilst I sort of agree with you inasmuch as fast food is not particularly healthy and goes against healthy eating guidelines.

The fast food industry employs many thousands of people, if these places go out of business these folk will loose their jobs.

Justwidowed Tue 11-Aug-20 10:25:59

Yes I've used it 3 times up to now and another one today.Everywhere has been fine and all adhering to the guidelines.Preston is
back in lockdown so pubs and restaurants may have to close if the numbers don't decrease.
It has really cheered me up not having to cook for myself every night.My hips don't agree but September will be time to start a diet

TerriBull Tue 11-Aug-20 10:28:51

We've done it twice, on an outside terrace, tables a good distance apart. We may do it again today, but it's so damn hot again! have to see how bearable that would be given we've got wall to wall of this sunshine and it's very intense right now!

Speldnan Tue 11-Aug-20 10:54:13

I bought a takeaway coffee to drink outside with a friend and we got 2 for one which I’ve wasn’t expecting. Not going to any restaurants with my partner though as I wouldn’t feel safe sitting inside surrounded by strangers, far too many people to come into contact with and just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Pippa22 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:06:53

I took my grandsons for an ice cream at the cafe in our local park and got 50p off each one. That was nice, but spent ages explaining to the children about the Boris scheme !

nipsmum Tue 11-Aug-20 11:10:15

Not possible here in Aberdeen. We are back to grade 2 lockdown. All food outlets and pubs are closed again meantime.

glammanana Tue 11-Aug-20 11:12:21

We enjoyed our second experience dining out on the scheme last night and was very pleased with the experience,all staff and customers kept to social distancing we where very impressed and the bill should have been £65ish so at just over £30+ plus tip it was a bargain.We are planning on using the scheme until the end of the month.

aonk Tue 11-Aug-20 11:17:50

We ate out at a nearby pub last night. Lovely shady garden and not crowded at all. We’re happy to use this scheme and hope it will help those on holiday in the UK and also the businesses concerned. We have friends who run a lovely bar and restaurant and I know how much they have struggled over the last few months. It’s a family concern and the only source of income for 3 households.

ExD Tue 11-Aug-20 11:23:34

We don't eat out for health reasons, (mine). Never have, and don't think ever will.
I feel kind of 'left out' and wonder why 'eating out' has been chosen for this special treatment. It's kind of 'unequal' to give this to people who can afford meals out or are in a position to enjoy them and to ignore the unfortunate few who are unable to indulge.
Thousands/millions of old people just can't afford it anyway.

B9exchange Tue 11-Aug-20 11:29:46

We did well last week, holiday cottage in beautiful area (not the sea!) and we could have morning coffees, lunches and dinners all half price, up until the end of the Wednesday. Then we thought we had better start cooking for ourselves!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 11-Aug-20 11:31:55

Would have liked to have had a coffee out last week when on holiday, and sit at an outside table, but my husband is terrified of catching it, and completely refuses to consider eating out at all. He is also worried about delivered takeaways. He doesn't have any underlying health conditions, other than being a bit overweight, but is a real worry wart!

Suzan05 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:43:02

We haven't been anywhere yet, supermarket shop and prescriptions are delivered. DH on steroids and I take a BP tablet so can't see us eating out or doing anything else for a long time. We haven't seen anyone since early March.

lefthanded Tue 11-Aug-20 12:02:32

We’ve eaten out twice last week and once this week, in three different places. Each time we were impressed with the way the establishment handled the additional hygiene requirements. Even one which was little more than a “greasy spoon” was disinfecting tables and chairs between customers. To be fair, we probably would have gone to the same places anyway - even without the discount.

icanhandthemback Tue 11-Aug-20 12:17:51

My son is making the most of it! We have some places booked for places we wouldn't normally be able to afford but they are towards the end of the month.