Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Heard over the garden fence this summer....

(79 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Fri 14-Aug-20 09:28:20

Inspired by a funny MN thread about what you heard over the garden fence during lockdown.

I'll start, I heard a corker: 'It's like a thong - only smaller'. I am confusedhmm at what could be smaller than a thong? grin

What have you heard?

jenpax Mon 17-Aug-20 22:09:13

I love the Neil Armstrong one too! I also decided that I chose to believe it Seadragon ?

HiPpyChick57 Mon 17-Aug-20 11:15:39

This happened before the lockdown
We were all sitting outside on the decking in my db’s back garden which has a lane behind it.
A passer by was well into a conversation on his phone the other side of the fence.
“I love you more”...”no I love YOU more”
On the count of three we all shouted “NO I LOVE YOU MORE”
Two words were his reply... the second of which was OFF!
Such fun!

Spangler Sun 16-Aug-20 23:06:05

When one our neighbours was overheard saying: "When does she arrive?" My wife said in a low voice; "I thought that's what posh girls did!"

Took me all morning to work that out.

Back in the late seventies, the mini series: "Jesus of Nazareth" was being screened. My sister-in-law's 12 year old was staying with us for a few days. She was watching the nativity scene intensely, and then said: "I wonder if she has a boy or a girl." Born in Essex that one.

Blinko Sun 16-Aug-20 21:56:02

seadragon

Totallylost

Not sure if this was ever proven, but still makes me laugh

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous “One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind” statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.”Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky” statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors’ bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, “Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You’ll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”

I really, badly want to believe this!!! In fact I have decided. I will!!

Me too!

Oh Gawd, these are all hilarious!

Here's one overheard on a ramble: You can hold it but you can't lick it.

...referring of course to an ice cream...

phoenix Sun 16-Aug-20 18:42:20

MaryTheBookeeper

Inspired by a funny MN thread about what you heard over the garden fence during lockdown.

I'll start, I heard a corker: 'It's like a thong - only smaller'. I am confusedhmm at what could be smaller than a thong? grin

What have you heard?

Just a thought, there is a form of underwear called a "string", might it be that that they were referring to?

Although for the life of me I really can't see the point of it! confused

Teddy111 Sun 16-Aug-20 18:24:15

I think Maeve Binchy said about two Irish schoolgirls.One whispered 'Are you a virgin'? the other said 'Oh no,not yet'.

timetogo2016 Sun 16-Aug-20 10:02:17

Well to be honest Carl,it`s a bit like a willy only smaller.
Every time i see my neighbour i chuckle,i try not to but.......

Knittynatter Sun 16-Aug-20 09:41:56

SueEH

Poppyann1... or as we used to say in Lancashire “I haven’t laughed so much since granny got her left tit stuck in the mangle” ??

Gosh I’m from Lancashire and have never heard that!! ??

SueEH Sun 16-Aug-20 09:23:27

Poppyann1... or as we used to say in Lancashire “I haven’t laughed so much since granny got her left tit stuck in the mangle” ??

SueEH Sun 16-Aug-20 09:21:54

I used to work in a cafe and one day as I was wandering along wiping tables etc I went by a couple of elderly ladies chatting.... just as one of them said “Of course she couldn’t get to the shotgun so she had to use her tights”!
I just about scrubbed the surface off the next table hoping to, er, overhear the rest of the conversation but they both sat pondering into their tea ?

Poppyann1 Sun 16-Aug-20 00:13:21

Oh dear ladies I've not laughed so much since my gran fell off bus.

Ninarosa Sat 15-Aug-20 23:48:28

Two very well turned out ladies having tea in M and S cafe. First one said" I abhor waste ", her friend , nodding violently exclaimed " I agree, there's an awful lot of good meat on a chicken wing".

Candy6 Sat 15-Aug-20 23:02:32

I just love the Neil Armstrong one and would love it to be true ?

Longdistancegrnny Sat 15-Aug-20 22:09:43

When I was young and my older siblings were teenagers, we had a neighbour who was a keen gardener, but also given to loud sneezes...a sneeze, a blow of the nose and then he would often shout 'Can any of you come and help me find my eye?' - they would disappear through the hedge and search for his glass eye, which he took out and wrapped in his handkerchief whilst gardening!

Luckygirl Sat 15-Aug-20 21:53:30

I've related this before, so apologies to veteran members.

OH and I had just moved into a small village and he started as a GP in the neighbouring village. I should say that my OH was remarkably skinny.

I was sitting on the bus on my first trip to town when I overheard two ladies in the seat behind discussing the "new young doctor."

"Poor man looks as though he could do with a proper meal. I don't know what his wife can be thinking of."

ginamat Sat 15-Aug-20 21:36:39

When I had my first child I was waiting in a cubicle to see the Doctors when I heard them talking. One said to the other " Oh my God that Mrs Smith is here again, she nearly had me on the bed with her last time". And it wasn't me!

annsixty Sat 15-Aug-20 20:44:03

Sorry about that, just when typing, a beautiful Persian cat came into my house and starting attacking my lovely Molly.
I had to chase it out and settle her.
It was a very pretty cat but unknown to me.

annsixty Sat 15-Aug-20 20:40:07

I do apologise if this is TMI but jyust

harrigran Sat 15-Aug-20 20:17:59

Sorry, but the Neil Armstrong story is not true, the stpry was started by a stand up comic. In the 90s Neil himself referred to this as a joke.

Caro57 Sat 15-Aug-20 19:21:17

Dental floss

Chall6q Sat 15-Aug-20 19:07:51

Lindy, that has made me laugh out loud. Seriously funny@

netflixfan Sat 15-Aug-20 18:08:37

Two references to scouse accents. Honestly! Why us? other accents are funny too!

sweetcakes Sat 15-Aug-20 17:53:54

This thread is the best. I've had some sad news today and this has cheered me up no end, especially the one about Neil Armstrong. Thanks Ladies ?

Oldbat1 Sat 15-Aug-20 17:53:03

Overheard in accident and emergency behind the magic curtains. “Now tell me how you managed to get the action mans arm stuck up your nose”

Urmstongran Sat 15-Aug-20 17:52:29

Behind a teenage Scouse lad in a queue at a pub Carvery - his plate full to the edges with meats and roasties (good lad!) - ‘ay mam, I’ve got no space for me veg’.
?