Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son’s wedding dilemma.

(143 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sun 23-Aug-20 14:57:45

Could I please ask for your advice.
My son is getting married at the end of October. This will be the final family marriage and the only one after his fathers death. My husband (His father) attended the wedding of our other two children and I feel I really should attend. I have only been out of my house once since beginning of March as I am at risk health wise. There will be only 30 people in total, but a lot of them are nurses. This son has been absolutely wonderful to me since my husband’s death and I could not have managed without him so I really feel I would like to support him. We are a small family and our side of the venue will be very empty. He has said it is totally my decision. Any thoughts please.

justwokeup Mon 24-Aug-20 19:17:23

Bluebellwould don't worry about the nurses as they are in an occupation where they are probably as well-protected as anyone can be, and the environment hygienic as it can be. I agree with silverlining48 though, do have some outings before then so you're not feeling overly worried on the day. Have a wonderful time, you deserve it.

Lucca Mon 24-Aug-20 19:13:17

Enjoy your day, with your mask and social distancing regardless of nonsense in last post

Lucy2 Mon 24-Aug-20 19:05:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Milo27 Mon 24-Aug-20 18:55:29

Go please xxx

Candelle Mon 24-Aug-20 18:53:24

The type of person who would take the time and trouble to write to you personally with such an ill-judged and thoughtless (nay, sick) mail is a very troubled person.

Please take heart that the author of such a mail is jealous of your wonderfully happy day and just wants to spoil your well deserved happiness.

Don't let them.

You have many wonderful memories of that special day. They don't - which is why they want to spoil yours.

Don't let them!.

silverlining48 Mon 24-Aug-20 18:51:04

Your outfit sounds lovely and wishing you and yours a wonderful day bluebell.

Bluebellwould Mon 24-Aug-20 18:48:42

Thank you all again for your kind supportive posts. Marydoll, I am so sorry you got such a horrid message. Don’t let the messenger ruin any more of your time. Name and shame if you like, it might save someone else from being hurt in the same way.
My point about there being a lot of nurses at the wedding was the raised risk of infection from them as they deal with patients.
My outfit is a lilac dress with dropped hem at the back, which I will wear with a navy jacket and shoes, and tie a matching ribbon on my walking stick, and matching face mask.
It should make for some interesting photos to look back on, won’t it?

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 18:36:00

Marydoll I hope you reported this person- how low can anybody get?

You have had one helluva year being in hospital, becoming extremely ill from the side effects and almost not making it. I am very well aware of RA, not personally but professionally and that life is not easy for you on a good day.

There are many of us who are behind you and this person should be named and shamed.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Aug-20 18:06:31

Marydoll I'm astounded at the cowardly, underhand and ill informed pm you've received. What a peevish and sly message that was. I personally know that you didn't leave your house for the whole time that you were shielding. I also know that had it not been for you immediate family getting your medication and food supplies, you wouldn't have had them. You have nothing to feel bad about Marydoll. You who sent the pm on the other hand, have much to feel bad about. And ashamed. And embarrassed. You're a disgrace. angry

silverlining48 Mon 24-Aug-20 17:52:25

marydoll I am really sorry that you have had this unpleasantness which has upset what must be a rare day out. How very unkind some people can be. Do not let this nastiness spoil your memories of what sounded like a wonderful wedding day.
I hope she, if it is a she, feels totally ashamed of herself.

catherine123 Mon 24-Aug-20 17:36:26

Have a wonderful day have a little trip out first to get used to outside and enjoy the day.

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 17:33:15

What a stupid, ill-informed, ignorant and cowardly PM that was Marydoll !
I hope the author is still reading this thread and if so I hope she realises what a monumental error of judgement she is guilty of.
Sneaky doesn’t come close.
She should be permanently barred for completely going against the principles of GN - not to say common decency.
????????????

Curlywhirly Mon 24-Aug-20 17:29:58

Marydoll I am astounded. That anyone would go to the trouble of private messaging you with such a nasty message is just beyond me. You stand out as one of the most kind, thoughtful and welcoming GN members and do not deserve to be admonished in any way. What a thoroughly sad and unpleasant person she must be. I know it is difficult, but try to ignore the message, you have so many friends on this site, I can't think she has. thanks

tickingbird Mon 24-Aug-20 17:28:40

I can’t understand why you would allow this venomous person to remain anonymous. Whoever she/he is needs to be named and shamed. What a piece of work. I don’t understand why you replied explaining yourself either - I wouldn’t give them my time. Just nasty. Please don’t give them another thought.

Squiffy Mon 24-Aug-20 17:21:48

Marydoll What an awful thing to happen and to you of all people. I hope that you can put it behind you and just remember the special day. flowers

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 17:18:04

Espee, people who know me, know that I always try to be kind to other posters, so this has taken the feet from me.
However, I wouldn't sink that low, by naming her. She knows who she is.
What I will say is that she is a regular poster.

Nortsat Mon 24-Aug-20 17:11:14

Marydoll also meant to say ... great response ?

Nortsat Mon 24-Aug-20 17:09:20

Oh Marydoll, I don’t know what to say ... how dreadful.
I hope you report the OP to GNHQ for unsolicited, nasty PMs. It’s just bullying and it’s beyond inappropriate.

I am so sorry another GN behaved in this way to you. I loved the details and photos of your DD’s wedding, that you were kind enough to share.
I am also very sorry that this bullying behaviour spoiled the lovely trip your DH had planned.
I know you know there are lots of GNs who only wish you happiness and lovely, comfortable days ? ? (flowers and cake from me) ?

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 17:08:07

Marydoll, I am shocked that someone would be so underhand, cowardly and vicious.

flowers

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 17:07:09

Yes, I would go Bluebellwould, you can take all the recommended precautions.
If you don't you will feel miserable on the day and feel regrets afterwards.

grannysyb Mon 24-Aug-20 17:00:46

Marydoll, so sorry to read that, what a nasty pm to you, absolutely unbelievable and what a wonderful response from you to that person, I agree with Esspee, name them.

Esspee Mon 24-Aug-20 16:55:15

Marydoll. Name them.

Seakay Mon 24-Aug-20 16:52:23

go, have a lovely time, distance, wear a mask that matches your outfit!

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 16:46:19

I would like to share with you all, this upsetting PM, which I received this morning from a regular poster, after posting on this thread.

The contents of the PM, which the poster hadn't the courage to post publicly on here follows:

This needs to be said.

"My wonderful SIL has explained to his family that he does not want to put me at risk by asking them and although upset, they understand why they can't come." - the writer quoting my post.

I was shocked when I read the above, swiftly followed by disbelief at your accounts of expeditions to the shops days after the wedding. No risk of covid then?

If I were the groom's mother, I would never forgive you for excluding me from my son's wedding. It doesn't say much for him either.

This was my response.

My SIL's parents died a long time ago, so it would be difficult to come to the wedding. I'm sure they were there in spirit!

Most of my SIL's family live in the USA and all their flights were cancelled due to Covid, so there was no chance of them being there anyway

As I have been shielding since 15th March, my family have rigorously followed the guidelines and stayed out of my home. I have had no physical contact with anyone since the middle of March.
In fact no-one has been inside of my home, apart from my daughter and that was only for the first time last week. I was supposed to be in a bubble with my son and granddaughter, but we didn't go ahead with it.
So absolutely no risk of spreading COVID

As for your jibe at my SIL, this is the kind and caring man, who put his life at risk every week and queued along with drug addicts (who would not maintain distancing) to ensure I got my many medications. He is the best thing that ever happened to my daughter

As for my shopping expeditions, I think three visits to a supermarket in over five months, AFTER Shielding ended isn't excessive by anyone's standards! However, I do NOT need your permission to make the best of the time left for me.

FYI, according to the GOVSCOT shielding letter I received, I was allowed out to the shops after the 31st of July.
However, my husband and I only made our first visit to the supermarket in five months a week AFTER the wedding, that was only because my daughter was on honeymoon!

There were only SIX people at the wedding, my husband and I, the bride and groom and my son and future DIL.
My DIL, SIL, Son and future daughter in law, all self isolated prior to the wedding to ensure it could go ahead and to keep me safe.

As time is running out for me, due to my comorbidities, it was my daughter and her husband, who suggested getting married in our garden, rather than wait another year, in case it was too late.
They followed all the Scottish Govt. guidelines to the letter and the local Registrar was happy with all the proceedings

How dare this mean spirited poster suck the joy from what was a wonderful day.
My SIL's family are over the moon that their brother is now married and happier than he has ever been.
My daughter has already booked a venue for next year, so that ALL friends and family can celebrate together, when it is safe to do so.

Life is tough enough for me just now and to attack me like this in a PM, (cowardly manner) , without even knowing my circumstances.

I would like to thank this poster for ruining what was meant to be a lovely day out today, to a quiet part of the coast with my husband, planned by him to lift my very low spirits. ?

Next time, get your facts right. I won't be sinking to the level of naming and shaming you, but you should be ashamed!

Molli Mon 24-Aug-20 16:43:08

Go and create happy memories. It sounds like it will be an intimate affair.