Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son’s wedding dilemma.

(142 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sun 23-Aug-20 14:57:45

Could I please ask for your advice.
My son is getting married at the end of October. This will be the final family marriage and the only one after his fathers death. My husband (His father) attended the wedding of our other two children and I feel I really should attend. I have only been out of my house once since beginning of March as I am at risk health wise. There will be only 30 people in total, but a lot of them are nurses. This son has been absolutely wonderful to me since my husband’s death and I could not have managed without him so I really feel I would like to support him. We are a small family and our side of the venue will be very empty. He has said it is totally my decision. Any thoughts please.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Aug-20 14:58:45

Go and enjoy yourself

Granniesunite Sun 23-Aug-20 15:04:08

Yes go. Keep to the rules even if others don't but don't miss his special day. Enjoy it.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-20 15:07:59

Yes, I would go.
You can keep to the rules for your own safety, I'm sure.

The fact that a lot of the guests are nurses should give you extra reassurance.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-20 15:08:28

Go!! I couldn't miss it.

Greenfinch Sun 23-Aug-20 15:10:54

Yes , definitely go. I think you would be miserable and regret it if you didn't.

ginny Sun 23-Aug-20 15:11:27

Definitely go. Just take sensible precautions.

geekesse Sun 23-Aug-20 15:17:38

Oh, do go - you’ll regret it forever if you don’t. Wear a mask, carry hand sanitiser, stay 2m away from other guests etc, but don’t absent yourself from this major milestone in your son’s life, especially as this will be the first wedding without his Dad.

rafichagran Sun 23-Aug-20 15:17:56

Go and enjoy yourself.

SueDonim Sun 23-Aug-20 15:20:12

Go! Make sure you follow all the current advice for your area and then enjoy your day. smile

lemongrove Sun 23-Aug-20 15:21:44

I agree with all, you should go and try and enjoy it.

DiscoGran Sun 23-Aug-20 15:35:14

Definitely go.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 23-Aug-20 15:42:41

You must go but take all reasonable precautions. If you don’t, you will regret it.

Grannynannywanny Sun 23-Aug-20 15:43:30

Another vote to go from me. Follow distancing guidelines and have a wonderful day!
Perhaps if you’re feeling a little anxious your son could discreetly mention to the other guests in advance of the big day and they’ll pay extra attention to give you a wide berth.

fevertree Sun 23-Aug-20 15:44:02

Absolutely go.

I doubt very much you will catch Covid at your son's wedding. Do the basics (handwashing, sanitiser, mask...).

Bluebellwould Sun 23-Aug-20 16:02:17

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I will go and enjoy it. Many thanks.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-20 16:20:39

Have the happiest of days. smile

silverlining48 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:20:52

Go and enjoy bluebellwould. How could you not. Suggest before the date you have a little trip or two out even if it’s just around the corner, in preparation for your sons big day.

Luckygirl Sun 23-Aug-20 16:24:06

I really do think you should go - these are difficult times and we all have to make our own judgements about these things - and it an be hard.

But, I really think you might regret it if you do not go - you can take all the steps that everyone has suggested to make it as safe as possible - it is all any of us can do at the moment.

I wish you a joyous day. smile

SusieB50 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:30:47

Go go go ! You will have a wonderful time , just keep washing your hands and no hugs and kisses ,although I have to admit that I’m hugging family now . I couldn’t bear to miss my son’s wedding especially as his father won’t be there ?

tinaf1 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:38:50

Yes do go , as long as your sensible , you will regret it if you don’t.
Hope it all goes well and you have a lovely day ?

eazybee Sun 23-Aug-20 16:40:52

You must go; I am sure you will enjoy every minute, and you would feel terrible if you were forced to miss your son's wedding, particularly the ceremony, which nothing can replace.

sodapop Sun 23-Aug-20 16:44:16

Same here, hope you all have a lovely day Bluebellwould be sensible with usual precautions and it will be fine.

Bluebellwould Sun 23-Aug-20 17:19:51

Thank you all. I’ve just ordered my outfit!

Madgran77 Sun 23-Aug-20 17:22:02

Definitely go. How exciting waiting for the outfit to come!!