Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gut instinct

(28 Posts)
Missfoodlove Fri 28-Aug-20 22:07:02

We are due to go away tomorrow to stay with a relation in a holiday cottage. There will be 7/8 of us.

I really do not want to go, I have a really bad feeling about it.

If it was just me I would make an excuse and stay home but my husband is very keen.

It’s only two nights then we go to an hotel just the two of us.

It got me thinking have any gransnetters had a similar feeling and trusted your instincts?
Or perhaps you ignored the instinct with disastrous consequences.

janeainsworth Fri 28-Aug-20 22:14:13

Is this Covid-related or something completely different?

If it’s Covid-related, I would feel exactly the same as you.

If it’s not Covid-related, I’d try to work out why I felt like that and come to a rational decision. I don’t act on instinct.

Chewbacca Fri 28-Aug-20 22:16:59

Always trust gut instincts. They're there for a reason.

welbeck Fri 28-Aug-20 22:19:47

could you cut out the cottage with so many people and just go to a hotel where it will be just you two. or stay home until yr booked hotel is due.
or is yr husband set on this jamboree.
are they his relatives. does he know how you feel.
i think you need to confide in him.

LauraNorder Fri 28-Aug-20 22:22:17

Is it a big roomy cottage? Can you have all the windows open? Is there a good outdoor space for eating? Are your housemates responsible types who'll respect handwashing and distancing rules?
If so then go and enjoy yourself.
If not then I wouldn't go especially as you are already feeling anxious.
Really has to be your decision, sorry that's not helpful, good luck.

merlotgran Fri 28-Aug-20 22:26:49

You do realise that any infection you pick up at the cottage could be passed on to others at the hotel?

sharon103 Fri 28-Aug-20 22:38:03

Go with your gut instinct. Can't tell you why.

BlueSky Fri 28-Aug-20 23:15:25

More than once. Last time we went abroad it was after the terror attacks and I didn't enjoy it one bit. In fact it put me off going anywhere, as it happens we haven't been able to go since because of Covid, wouldn't want to be going anywhere at the moment.

TwiceAsNice Fri 28-Aug-20 23:20:32

If it’s “Covid panic” I’d try and see if you think you can make it work safely.

If it’s a feeling of dread that you can’t explain that’s your instinct working overtime and I’d think twice about going. It’s been with you for thousands of years for a reason and it’s worth listening to.

Illte Fri 28-Aug-20 23:33:29

The only times I've not listened to gut instinct I have very much regretted it. Usually about people rather than trips like this though.

Are you sure it's not your logical mind telling you that mixing four or more households in a cottage and then going on to a hotel with lots of other people is not really a good idea?

maddyone Fri 28-Aug-20 23:38:44

It’s very difficult, isn’t it? I understand the feeling of dread, I suspect it’s Covid related, but you don’t say. I think you need to tell your husband because if you do go, he needs to know how uncomfortable you’re feeling about it. Think about the journey, are you travelling by car, in which case you’re safe in your own car. Assuming you’ve not been asked to transport anyone else though. Then think about the destination, is it in an area of low transmission? Where are the others coming from? Do they live in areas of low transmission or high transmission? How large is the cottage? Will you be able to socially distance inside the cottage? Can everyone agree on house rules about sanitisation? Could you take and wear masks indoors?
If you still feel nervous after considering all those points, don’t go.

harrigran Sat 29-Aug-20 08:47:17

I believe in trusting your gut instincts, if it doesn't feel right for you don't do it.
DH has avoided some very serious disasters by using his instincts, 7/7 in London was one and Mumbai was another.
My mother was saved by changing her mind at the last moment, a neighbour offered her a lift to out patients but she took a taxi. The neighbour had a stroke at the wheel of the car and crashed the car.

Liz46 Sat 29-Aug-20 09:26:34

Follow your instincts.

Ellianne Sat 29-Aug-20 09:31:39

It seems a bit late in the day for instincts to suddenly enter into it. What were your original gut feelings at the time of booking? I would maybe stick with them. To me, first instincts are right, not mind changing niggles.
Was this booked before or after covid? Would love to know what you did today.

Sparklefizz Sat 29-Aug-20 09:31:52

The gut is our 2nd brain. I believe in trusting gut instincts. They are there for a reason.

Missfoodlove Sat 29-Aug-20 09:38:58

We’re on our way?.
It’s not really C19 related as everyone has been really cautious.
It’s something I cannot put my finger on.
It may more to do with relationships than health.
I’m just not sure.

Ellianne Sat 29-Aug-20 09:42:02

Good luck. Fingers crossed, at least the weather is ok.

timetogo2016 Sat 29-Aug-20 09:42:07

I go with my gut instinct 99% of the time and it`s never let me down.
You have it for a reason.

MawB2 Sat 29-Aug-20 10:16:36

I think one of the consequences of lockdown is that it has made many, if not most of us, uneasier and less confident of going out or staying away. Remember when you were a child and had butterflies before a holiday or an outing?
I hope OP’’s “gut instinct” proves no more than this and that the weekend away belies her premonitions.

BlueSky Sat 29-Aug-20 10:49:18

Definitely Maw I actually felt uneasy before Covid, perhaps after the terror attacks, but thinking of it I've never really enjoyed leaving the house for any length of time. Just before Covid I used to enjoy planning a holiday but not too keen on carrying it through.

Chewbacca Sat 29-Aug-20 12:00:33

I used to enjoy planning a holiday but not too keen on carrying it through.

Same here. I get swept up in the discussions and planning and booking of the holiday but as the day looms closer, I actually dread it and always wish I hadn't got drawn into it again.

honeyrose Sat 29-Aug-20 20:49:07

Hope all goes well for you, Missfoodlove. These things often turn out better than you’d hoped.

LauraNorder Sun 30-Aug-20 20:45:12

Day one in the holiday house. Hope it's going well and your gut feeling has evaporated. Hope all the relations are behaving well. Do come back on next week and tell us all about it.

Missfoodlove Wed 02-Sep-20 19:32:49

Home now!
Got home to a smelly kitchen as the fridge has died and we have a bat in our wifi box, it’s chewed through the cables so no wifi?.

Nothing untoward on the break thankfully.

Smileless2012 Wed 02-Sep-20 19:46:14

There you are then Missfoodlove perhaps your gut instinct wasn't wrong after all. Glad that the break went well and that the two problems you had when you got home didn't spoil your time away.