Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hairdresser communication?

(45 Posts)
Quizzer Sat 29-Aug-20 11:48:30

Does anyone else have trouble communicating with hairdressers? I obviously don't speak the same language. I have short very straight hair which I am told is difficult to cut. Recently asking a hairdresser not to cut my hair too short at the back, not above my hairline, resulted in just that, which developed into a grey frizzy regrowth after a week. On another occasion, the hairdressers suggestion to 'give it a lift' with the tongs resulted in a complete Shirley Temple! I have tried taking in the photograph of the style I want but this seems impossible to copy.

CorneliaStreet Wed 02-Sep-20 06:23:21

A good hairdresser will do their best to copy the style you want, so this one wasn't that good, I suppose. I really suggest looking for another one, there are people that really listen to their clients.

JennyNotFromTheBlock Wed 02-Sep-20 06:20:50

Maybe you better change the hairdresser then? I've met people like that: they never listen to you and they never try to do the thing that you've said you wanted. They just cut your hair and dye them in whatever way they feel is right. That's how I got my hair dyed way darker than I wanted- and the hairdresser just told me that the color is the same to the one at the picture that I've shown her. It was not! I've chosen that color through hours of recoloring my hair in Photodiva and then I even printed out the photo and showed her as the example- but no. I was angry and right now am looking for new hairdresser, so...

MagicWand Tue 01-Sep-20 14:11:30

Quizzer, I agree with Mollygo, tell them what you want, not what you don't want.

It's a classic mistake that I've made loads of times. DH once asked me what I would like for a significant birthday, I said I would like something like a weekend away and I didn't want anything like a watch. Guess what I got? Yep, a watch!

I suggest, when you find your new hairdresser, you think about what you are going to say before you go to keep your instructions positive, try to take a picture as a guide but on the understanding that your hair may not look exactly the same. Good luck!

sparklingsilver28 Sun 30-Aug-20 22:20:56

Three years ago I moved 300 miles from my previous hairdresser of 40 years, who had cut my hair every six weeks. I have always like the Judy Dench look but whenever I asked new hairdresser for it I came out looking as if losing my hair. Since lock-down not able to have it cut for almost five months. During that time it had grow and surprise, surprise, was fluffy and holding shape well which I loved. Returned to the hairdresser's and she expressed surprised at how good my hair looked. I told her, I wanted a simple trim - looks great.

Azalea99 Sun 30-Aug-20 21:07:51

I was growing my short elfin haircut to achieve what I would call a Purdy. Explained this to the young hairdresser who said she knew exactly what I wanted and described it to me. She then went on to do the exact opposite. I paid, fumed and then after a few days made a further appointment to see her. I didn’t keep the appointment. Very petty, but revenge nonetheless. For the last few years I’ve had a wonderful hairdresser, thank goodness!

dustyangel Sun 30-Aug-20 19:55:39

Oh what a timely thread! I had my hair cut about ten days ago you by the owner of the salon I usually go to. “Do you want it the same as last time?” she asked and I said yes, completely forgetting that she hadn’t cut it herself since last year. Instead of a short shiny bob I’ve got short thinned layers that haven’t improved now I’ve washed it myself. I keep telling myself that it will grow!

Daftbag1 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:48:35

I understand OP completely, I HATE going to hairdressers with a passion. For a start there's the chitter chatter, I've explained over and over that I prefer to just think, but the minute I get sat in that seat, it's 'have you planned your holidays'?

Then the hair......I have a bob, it's easiest for me to manage, 'no I don't want a choppy one with layers', I say, so what does she do? Yup, choppy layers! 'No please don't make it short at the back, into a longer front, I've got a low hair line and it ends up looking like pubic hair on my neck' I plead, so pubic hair it is. In the end I curse under my breath, and say prayers whilst determined it's the last time........until the next time.....deep sighs!

greengreengrass Sun 30-Aug-20 18:32:06

there. my spelling or punctuation is not improving with age...

greengreengrass Sun 30-Aug-20 18:31:31

Worst hairdresser I ever had cut my ear with the scissors and it bled. Yes, really. I was quite young at the time and considered myself lucky to get out of their alive.

True story.

Grannygrumps1 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:18:17

Lol.... not had a bad hair day but have had bad hair all of my life. Hairdressers normally don’t have a clue with my hair. It’s slow growing. Curly on one side and wavy on the other. It’s really hard to get it looking good. I tried a new hairdresser a short walk from me just before lockdown as a neighbour said she is happy to do a dry cut. So I walked down to the shop with damp hair that I had just washed. It was almost dry when my lady cut it perfectly. I joked with her that now I had found her I hoped that she didn’t go out of business. Bless she’s still there and has cut it perfectly a second time after lockdown had lifted. Better still she only charges £15:00.

PennyWhistle Sun 30-Aug-20 14:41:28

I last had my hair cut in January - and it is getting very long! My hairdresser is not yet coming to customer homes, and I am not confident enough to go to her, so I will wait a little longer. Guess who has a fringe cut with her own scissors smile

sodapop Sun 30-Aug-20 12:48:11

If you ever have your hair cut in France don't ask the hairdresser to cut it short. They do take you at your word. grin

jaylucy Sun 30-Aug-20 12:45:17

Ask anyone that you see with a short haircut where they go to have it cut - not easy these days, I know but at the very least try somewhere else from where you currently go.
I find when they do the first consultation usually before your hair is wet, I explain how I would like it cut and why and if there is any change to that, they discuss it with me before proceeding.
I always find that the back is the hardest bit to dry yourself as you can't see what you are doing and hairdressers use products that you probably don't have at home.
Just stick to your guns - if it is not as you want, complain !

Jillybird Sun 30-Aug-20 12:28:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lancslass1 Sun 30-Aug-20 11:57:28

I have a photograph of a beautiful Joanna Lumley presumablywhen she was just staring out before the Purdey haircut .
It is exactly the style I want.
I took that to a new hairdresser and she did it exactly the same way although I did not look quite as glamorous as Ms Lumley!
I would tell my previous hairdresser what I wanted and she wouldn't take a blind bit of notice.
Fortunately she decided to retire and I moved on.
A lot of hairdressers are scissor happy I think.

Schumee Sun 30-Aug-20 11:48:54

I have taken so many pictures over the years and in my experience have never looked anything like the ones in the photo even those out of hairstyling books.

Joesoap Sun 30-Aug-20 11:44:47

I have short cut hair and go to my stylist every four weeks,my own stylist had a baby and is now on leave,the other lady in the salon now cuts my hair ( they are only two in this little salon) I was dubious at first about this lady cutting but she does it exactly as I want it cut,she has now done it for six months and I would love to keep her, but dont want to offend my own stylist.Undecided what to do.

Craftycat Sun 30-Aug-20 11:14:39

Exactly why I changed from a salon to a home hairdresser- who was actually someone I knew from a crAFt group. I go to her house & we have a chat & a cuppa while she does exactly what I ask for unless she has a great suggestion - which she often does- & we try it out for change.
It is also a lot cheaper.

moonbeames Sun 30-Aug-20 11:13:57

I will be more careful next time. I am going to look around for a new hairdresser. My hair had grown into a longish bob with a feathery fringe. It was nice, I was sick of it so I took a picture of a pixie cut into the hairdresser and asked her for that. Well, I should have said not too short, boy is it short. I am fortunate (if you can say that) we are in lockdown at the moment, I hope it grows out a bit in the next few weeks. It sits permanently straight up all over my head. I have to wet it down in the mornings. It was cut about two weeks ago so is looking a bit better. Watch what they are doing would be my advice, she chopped the blazes out of it. Charged a bomb for it as well. hmm

Graygirl Sun 30-Aug-20 11:13:56

Next time you see a person with a good short cut, get nosey ask where they go and if it's what your thinking of can you take a picture. That's how I found mine, most people will be flattered.

crimpedhalo Sun 30-Aug-20 11:03:12

I followed a few hairdressers on Facebook. Some post photos of clients before and after styles, colour, cuts etc. I took the plunge and messaged one and had a cut, followed by hilites on another day.

These are my tips....it's your hair and you 'know it'
I do not hold long conversations when having a cut, trim or restyle but keep an eye on what is going on
I frequently pause the cutting to check on progress

Jens Sun 30-Aug-20 10:51:54

I have dead straight, now silver, short hair. I live on
Isle of Man, Maybe they do things a bit differently.
I go to a unisex hairdresser, it’s actually a barber, but it’s a lady doing the cutting. I wash it that morning. Walk in, wait, gets cut in 20 minutes flat, it’s fantastic, costs me a tenner.
No washing, colouring, gooey stuff.
Love it.

kittypaws49 Sun 30-Aug-20 10:51:04

This is why my husband now cuts my hair , sometimes with better results than others.
I gave up on my old stylist because he was often rude, once he told me that if I ever walked in with long grey hair ( I was still colouring it at that time ) he would throw me out ! Another time , after he'd cut my hair and left the junior to dry it, he proceeded to heap compliments on the young woman he was working on, " Oh you're so beautiful, what a fantastic face etc " . This really made me feel like I was on the scrap heap. A hairdresser should make all their clients feel good.
So, if you're not happy for any reason, change them !

Riggie Sun 30-Aug-20 10:35:34

When I moved away from my then home area I would do a regular visit to visit family and my wonderful hairdresser. Sadly he emigrated overseas and that was too far...sad

Since then the best cut I had was when I was temporarily away from home for a few weeks and I went to one of those walk in, see whoever is free type of places!

Mrsdof Sun 30-Aug-20 10:25:31

I have very short choppy hair with an undercut which I love. I went on Pinterest to find some styles I liked, printed off the pictures and took them into my hairdresser (of 5 yrs standing) and said that is what I would like but appreciated my hair was probably different and if he could do his best. I am very happy with the result. I have fine hair but lots of it and also a double crown to contend with but he did an excellent job. As suggested previously ask friends/strangers where they get their hair done and give them a go. Good luck! smile