Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is 75 young or old?

(107 Posts)
kittylester Tue 01-Sep-20 19:28:05

DH, at 75, has just restarted doing his volunteer driving for RVS, mainly driving people for radiotherapy.

Today, he drove a chap who said he was unsure whether it was worth having treatment at his age for a normally easily treatable cancer, hes 75!

So, is 75 young or old?

Tanjamaltija Wed 02-Sep-20 11:09:29

When you are a teen, 40 is old. When you are 70, 40 is young. That's all there is to it.

annifrance Wed 02-Sep-20 11:16:16

At lockdown my DS said I should be careful as I was 70 and old. When I indignantly repeated this to DD she said well you are old. No I'm not. Well what are you then? I grudgingly said getting on a bit. I'm sticking with that. And practising being a Rock Chick.

AuthorJune Wed 02-Sep-20 11:18:01

I'm only 2 years away but it does depend on outlook. Always try something new if it's something appealing. Never say never but remember one does break easier the more mature one gets. A little like a mature cheddar. It becomes a little crumbier!

jaylucy Wed 02-Sep-20 11:48:10

I can remember a time when if people reached their 70s before passing away, that was classed as "a good age" but nowadays 75 is a bit more of a spring chicken!
Lets face it - with us all now not being allowed to retire until at least 67, being 75 is nothing.

Keeper1 Wed 02-Sep-20 11:54:37

I think it is outlook. I am 64 and there are loads of things I would like to and places I would like to see and new friends to be made.

My husband is 63 and he is looking at when we move it will be our last one?!? Not me

Seajaye Wed 02-Sep-20 12:25:42

Like many things, it depends.. IMO 75 for many people in otherwise good health is just 'older' than those younger than this. It is only 'elderly' if coupled with 'frail'.

sodapop Wed 02-Sep-20 12:35:35

That's brilliant Bijou keep on with the Guinness its clearly doing you good. I hope you have many more happy years with us here on GN.thanks

I think its all relative too, I move the goal posts every year so of course 74 is not old !! I still can't believe all those years and experiences have passed but good and bad that was my life.

Callistemon Wed 02-Sep-20 12:40:08

Bijou I know someone older than you and I reckon that it's Guinness that keeps him going!

Theoddbird Wed 02-Sep-20 12:42:41

75 is older...not old

threexnanny Wed 02-Sep-20 13:02:47

We had a relative who volunteered in various retirement homes as she felt sorry for the 'old dears'. She continued till she was about 90 and didn't ever stop to think she was in fact considerably older than some of the residents.

Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:35:35

I am 76 and definitely don’t feel old. I had a very successful knee replacement a couple of years ago.

I had given up sewing some years ago when my husband was ill but I was asked to make masks, which I have done, and that rekindled my interest so, sewing machine now busy. I am busy turning a spare bedroom into a designated sewing room and can’t wait for my daughter and partner to come at the weekend to build the IKEA unit that is sitting in its boxes in the hall.

BlueSky Wed 02-Sep-20 13:36:30

That's great Bijou you are clearly doing something right! Cheers! ?

Chaitriona Wed 02-Sep-20 13:40:53

I would say today in your sixties you are in late middle age. In your seventies you are in early old age. In your eighties you are in middle old age. Ninety and above you are in late old age.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:46:44

Greetings Bijou. flowerssmile

HannahLoisLuke Wed 02-Sep-20 14:04:15

I'm 76 so of course it's young! ?

bluebirdwsm Wed 02-Sep-20 14:18:25

Whether 75 is old for someone I think depends a lot on that person's physical and mental health, life experiences and family situation, or their degree of isolation from society and/or people who care.

Luckily for me I am 71 and feel just fine. I don't feel old at all, am fit and healthy apart from niggles [arthritis in hand/insomnia]. Inside I feel in my 30's. I am active, do lots of gardening, walking, DIY, all my own cooking, reading and feel very happy seeing sons, grandchildren and a great friend regularly. And I do look after myself.

I feel for those who don't feel so good and feel old at my age. A lot of it can be attitude of mind but a lot is down to luck and we know how random life is. I enjoy every day knowing that for many it changes in a minute.
Bijou ...much respect to you.

dogsmother Wed 02-Sep-20 14:24:07

Bijou....I want to be like you!
There’s so much living to be done yet, and I’m only in my sixties currently do my decorating. I’m painting my stair case well the hand rails and spindles and hallway at least.
Also plan on doing what I can for as long as I can. Hats off to you ?

TwiceAsNice Wed 02-Sep-20 14:33:34

No I don’t think 75 is articulately old especially if you are well. I am 67 so not there yet

I work 2 days a week and walk as much as possible. I do everything I could do when younger and hope to continue to do so for ages yet. Use it or lose it though. Some people in their 50’s are old just because of their attitude

TwiceAsNice Wed 02-Sep-20 14:34:05

Particularly sorry auto change

Bluecat Wed 02-Sep-20 15:35:13

I was re-reading the wonderful "Diary of a Provincial Lady" recently. My favourite character, apart from the main one, is old Mrs Blenkinsop who is master of what is known today as humblebragging:

"People say, she adds deprecating, that just her Smile does them good. She does not know, she says, what they mean. (Neither do I.)"

However, I was disconcerted to realise that old Mrs Blenkinsop - invariably referred to as "old" - was 66, ie a year younger than me. That was written in 1930. It could just be comic effect, I suppose, but it is never suggested that she isn't genuinely old. I wonder if old age was reckoned to begin earlier then. My mother said that her grandmother always dressed in black from head to toe and seemed ancient, even when she could only have been in her 60s.

Bluecat Wed 02-Sep-20 15:37:12

"deprecatingly". Damn auto correct.

Supergran1946 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:37:44

I am 74 years old and my fitbit is my saviour. I sign up each year for the “Walk 1000 miles a year challenge”. Last year I walked 1600 miles, and when I took my car for its MOT I had only driven 1400 miles !!
My motto is dont act your age, act your shoe size. In my case I act like a 5 year old. Life is for living.

Herbie9 Wed 02-Sep-20 16:07:42

Bijou Congratulations - I wish you many more years of health and Guiness. I remember receiving a birthday card a few years back (I'm now 85) saying "You've still got it - trouble is nobody wants it! Found it both funny and true!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 02-Sep-20 16:21:24

I'm 68, but the same thing applies really. You are old at 68 or 75 if you have become narrow minded, or if you are in ill health, although many people do manage to keep a happy outlook even if they are ill.

I try to keep abreast of new ideas and not allow myself or DH just to sit watching TV all day.

I know that if serious illness or a handicap is in my future, I will be cross with myself for wasting time now, while I still can do things.

TanaMa Wed 02-Sep-20 16:56:35

Luckily we are not all born with the longevity gene or the country really would be overrun!! I am one if the lucky mid 80s who still mows the lawn and strims all the long grass areas. I live alone since losing my DH so do everything. I dread the day when I may become 'old'!!