Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old? Me? Don't be silly.

(90 Posts)
Spangler Fri 04-Sep-20 09:28:03

kittylester started a thread: "Is 75 young or old?" It kick started some great responses. It would seem that the word old, is more of a generic term than an actual definition, so, if you are brave enough, lets see those geriatric wrinkles.

Here's what 74 looks like. It helps if the photo is grainy like mine, hides a multitude of sins.

Shropshirelass Sun 20-Sep-20 09:28:04

I am 67 years young. When I see reports on TV about elderly people and then they are only 62! WHAT! My mother is 98, now that is old. I don't have an old lady haircut, I am not grey (naturally I might add) nor do I wear old lady clothes (I am tall and a slim size 12). I am comfortable with myself.

OPgrndtr Sat 19-Sep-20 14:40:58

My DH says I think like a 40yo, but my 65yo body won't let me do those things.

rocketstop Fri 18-Sep-20 14:58:35

You all look damn fantastic, not one of you looks your age.Crikey we're all lucky to have survived thus far.We are a celebration of ourselves ! flowers

Mistyfluff8 Fri 18-Sep-20 06:56:52

Mentally I feel young and No facial lines at 71 but my body feels it’s age as I’m not so speedy as I used to be

CarrieAnn Thu 17-Sep-20 16:21:06

My friends son asked his mum,who was about 40 at the time,if they had stage coaches in Ireland when she was little.I'm lucky,I don't have any wrinkles,but since my last surgery I have not much hair,but I look O.K.when I'm wearing my wig.I'm seveny four but most people think I'm in my fifties which is really nice.
'

BrandyGran Thu 17-Sep-20 10:05:35

Got my ears pierced at 72 yrs! Had enough of the old ladies look of clip ons. Now several years later am still enjoying shopping for colourful clothes.

Spangler Thu 17-Sep-20 08:05:45

Thank you all so much for your responses. What a lovely lot of photos and so many positive replies.

Lulubelle500 Wed 16-Sep-20 13:59:51
This thread seems to have turned the anonymity of Gransnet into something more like Facebook today!

Facebook is alien to me, never seen it. I do hope that this thread hasn't put you off posting, everybody's input counts, it's what makes Gransnet.

Sharman Wed 16-Sep-20 13:24:09
I'm 94 and I'm not old, never have been. Mind I look a bit older than I did last year as my hair is now grey for the first time because I haven't been to a hairdresser since February. Doesn't stop me dressing and acting quarter my age, though.

Well done Sharman, 94. There's a pictorial joke somewhere, I must try and find it for you. It depicts Pope Benedict, the one who retired. There's a photo of him with the caption: "I'm 85, I must retire."

Then you see a photo of our queen, like you, she's 94. And the caption on her photo reads: Wuss!

LullyDully Thu 17-Sep-20 07:58:24

I think it hit me I may be getting a bit old when both my sons are over 40.........are they middle aged?

hereshoping Thu 17-Sep-20 07:23:53

Where did the years go? I wish they'd come back.

Rufus2 Thu 17-Sep-20 02:49:03

but like Toffeesmum I still have an eye for the young men!
Taichinan That's what I like to hear! grin
Now when do we get to the next part of the proceedings where you all saunter nonchalantly down the catwalk in your latest bikini outfits!? (The intelligence questions can wait!) shock
As advised, I need to make the most of my later years!
Good Health!

Taichinan Thu 17-Sep-20 01:20:23

I shall be 79 on the 29th and lucky to have inherited 'young genes'. I don't look my age - whatever that means? - and I still teach tai chi. I'm slower than I used to be and become tired more easily, but like Toffeesmum I still have an eye for the young men!

OmaforMaya Wed 16-Sep-20 23:42:40

I'm 71 and I certainly don't feel old.

Pinkrinse Wed 16-Sep-20 19:58:59

Early 60 s - definitely young at heart!

Cid24 Wed 16-Sep-20 19:37:44

Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional .
I choose the latter! ?

p1nkpr1ncess Wed 16-Sep-20 18:35:13

Taken 3 years ago on my 60th (I'm 63 tomorrow)

Greciangirl Wed 16-Sep-20 16:54:29

I’m 75, and my son has just had his 50th birthday.

I congratulated him and remarked that he was half a century old. Not sure if he appreciated it though.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 16-Sep-20 16:16:35

64 in November and acting my shoe size and not my age. I may grow older but I'll never grow up, etc etc!

Dowsabella Wed 16-Sep-20 16:06:55

A few years ago, a friend of mine went to see his GP for a health check to see if he was fit enough to go to Base Camp at the foot of Everest. The doctor checked him over, and said his health was good enough, but perhaps as he was getting older it wasn't the best holiday destination.
"What do you mean?" asked my friend. "I'm 25!!"
In puzzlement, the doctor replied, "No, you're well past 70 now!"
My friend tapped his forehead, saying "Ah, but I'm only 25 in here!"
He went to Base Camp and had a wonderful experience

queenofsaanich69 Wed 16-Sep-20 15:56:09

I’m 74 this month but don’t feel old in my head,very happy with this age,I have enjoyed the last 14 years as a Grandma & done all the things I wasn’t allowed to do as a child,with them——lots of fun !Now with Covid things have changed.

Rosw Wed 16-Sep-20 14:56:46

I’m getting old as disgracefully as I feel like on the day. 73 & feel 40

Patsy429 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:35:51

I did a radio interview yesterday, only some fun phone-in thing, and when I played it later I couldn't believe how I sounded. I don't consider myself old at 71 but when I heard myself laugh I was horrified. I laugh like an old lady! When did that happen?

Ashcombe Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:28

I’m 70 and DH is 71 and we’ve been married for five years. We knew each other at school so he will forever be my handsome fifth former whilst I’m his third form girly. (Friends Reunited has a lot to answer for!) This photo was taken last month.

Sheilasue Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:18

I keep saying it, age is just a number. It’s how you deal with old age, I am 75 and I keep myself busy, walking, reading, housework and meeting friends.
Make the most of your later years.

BelindaB Wed 16-Sep-20 14:24:37

Wrong name BlueSky - it is actually pronounced LOVELY. Got it? Joanna Lovely.

Try arguing with that.

Lulubelle500 Wed 16-Sep-20 13:59:51

This thread seems to have turned the anonymity of Gransnet into something more like Facebook today!