Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone dipping their social & cultural toes back in the water?

(74 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 05-Sep-20 11:27:12

Next week my dance class restarts and I've booked to see the Kimono exhibition at the V&A - might also go to an outdoor cinema if the weather holds up!

Bazza Sun 06-Sep-20 10:08:52

So agree with you Kitty! When we were in total lock down I was desperate to go somewhere, but now we can I almost can’t be bothered! I feel I must force myself to make the effort or I will just mentally atrophy.

Molli Sun 06-Sep-20 10:09:43

We’ve done a few EH sites, nice and open, and also ate out at a local farm shop that did pizzas mon Mon-Wed during August. DH doesn’t like wearing a mask so we struggle in some environments. For those who are in choirs though it is ok to sing. Lots of research has been done and the risk is not as great as had first been thought regarding droplet transmission. Same for wind instruments. So bands and orchestras can now rehearse. 2m rule still applies though. I was worried about that re getting back into school and teaching music but New guidance that came out a week or so back has made it clear it’s ok to go ahead ?

Jen777 Sun 06-Sep-20 10:25:17

I joined this site five minutes ago and I'm already hooked! I'm taking my first major day out next week visiting The Newt in Bruton, Somerset. Very keen to see friends again. Living on my own, I yearn for 'same space' conversations and interaction. Zoom is wonderful but nothing compares to connected, albeit socially distanced, communication

Grandmabeach Sun 06-Sep-20 10:25:54

First visit indoors since March was to the Dentist last week. All very safe - wait outside until appointment, hand gels everywhere, everything cleared from reception area, staff wearing head covering, masks, face shields and disposable gloves and aprons. No mouth wash but nurse did an excellent job with mouth vac. Nurse was also busy cleaning everything for next appointment before I had left the room.

Venus Sun 06-Sep-20 10:51:34

I wish my dance class would start up. Still waiting to hear. I have been to the local pictures which was great, and had quite a few lunches out. I've done a bit of entertaining but it's all quite muted at present. I hope
they would hurry up and find a vaccine for this horrible virus!

rowanflower0 Sun 06-Sep-20 11:06:30

I have been to several National Trust gardens, but you have to book a timed slot online now - so what non-members do to visit, I can't imagine! I have also had two one-to-one lessons with my Bob Ross painting instructor in her garden studio and completed two fabulous oil paintings. My WI, and my several U3A groups are not functioning yet, but we had several lunches on the 'eat out to help out' scheme, and also took my sons to a restaurant one weekend.

polnan Sun 06-Sep-20 11:09:51

I am fortunate as my church has been having services for the last 4 weeks or so.. all very well organised, masks will be worn,
no singing, by I sing with my mask on anyway, can`t not!

deep cleansing, even got communion,, well organised also

Home Group, just going to meet for the first time tomorrow,
Craft Club, well natter club really, also meeting at the church.
other than that...

luluaugust Sun 06-Sep-20 11:31:50

Yes art group is starting up, much discussion on mask wearing, we do paint but we chat a lot as well. U3A also starting but don't think we will go to the monthly meetings for the time being, we are now in their older bracket.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 06-Sep-20 12:03:37

I've only had a couple of outings - 2 motorcycle rides with my ladies' riders group, which by virtue of road safety was definitely socially distanced! Apart from the couple of weeks at our caravan, that's been it. We are NT members but find the prospect of having to book a timed visit, rather than the spontaneity of a visit because we get up and the sun's shining and at our own pace means that's a non-goer for us. Likewise anything involving loathsome mask wearing is not on the agenda, so no high street browsing or stopping for coffee in the process. Our swimming pool has not opened again so apart from the weekly trolley dash, and being in the garden, no change for us from full lockdown.
What does worry me is the mixed messages from our city council, on the one hand sending out an email in the early hours of this morning (yes really!) warning us not to go to crowded pubs etc this weekend (think they are somewhat late with that!), yet on the other hand continually posting adverts on Facebook exhorting us to return to city centre pubs, restaurants and shops..... Duh!

GreenGran78 Sun 06-Sep-20 12:26:21

Welcome, Jen777. I warn you that time simply disappears once you start to read GN. It’s good to read other peoples’ opinions, and they are (mostly) a friendly, helpful and sympathetic group.
Most of my regular activities are still on hold, right now. I have been out for a family meal, and we are having another today. I’ve visited a few friends for garden chats, and joined in some Zoom choir rehearsals. I find these very frustrating, and not at all helpful, but it’s nice to be able to wave to everyone!
I hope that we start to get make to some kind of normality soon. I also find that a ‘can’t be bothered’ feeling is creeping in, with regard to making an effort to do things. I need to get a grip, but other things are on my mind right now.

MawB2 Sun 06-Sep-20 12:39:41

In a completely deserted railway carriage apart from me for a day out in London and visit to Tate Modern.
?

gillyknits Sun 06-Sep-20 12:40:58

We went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park last week. Restricted numbers and booked in advance. Lovely scenery and lots of sculptures to suit all tastes. Lots of fresh air meant we all slept really well.
Going back to my Pilates class next week. I have been doing it alone for the whole of lockdown so Im looking forward to meeting friends (social distancing of course!)

mrswoo Sun 06-Sep-20 12:56:54

I started back at Zumba Gold four weeks ago. You have to book a (very limited) place each week. I was a bit apprehensive the first week but it is well organised and because the numbers are restricted it feels very safe. I've not eaten out in a restaurant chiefly because DH and I are both on Slimming World and are determined to continue to lose weight. We were doing Zoom meetings during lockdown but have been back at live group meetings for a month now. Again, it feels very safe with restricted numbers at each meeting. Mind you having to keep shoes (and clothes)on to be weighed was a bit of a challenge at first as it added the odd pound - most of us had weighed ourselves naked at home during lockdown!
It feels good to be getting back to "normal" life

Kim19 Sun 06-Sep-20 13:26:27

Eaten outdoors twice recently. Fully thermalled!! It was so good to spaciously meet up with acquaintances rather than zoom. I've also had one evening meal indoors. This establishment handed out an A4 sheet of the pandemic 'new practices'. Very clear. So far so good! I would certainly return to both establishments and I have a couple more in my vision. Softly....softly.....

annep1 Sun 06-Sep-20 13:32:06

We went food shopping on Friday for the first time since March. We have been to NT properties. Husband plays guitar and sings with a group in a friends garden. I go for walks with a friend. Thats it. Oh and chat at a distance with friends on caravan site.
I don't feel brave enough to eat out or do anything indoors. The virus is still here.

annep1 Sun 06-Sep-20 13:33:14

.......But I hate living like this I want back to art and U3A and clithes shops.

annep1 Sun 06-Sep-20 13:33:46

clithes clothes!

Blinko Sun 06-Sep-20 13:49:43

We've been out walking with friends for several weeks now and have also had a couple of restaurant meals. I'm hoping to start Pilates with a friend in October. We're proceeding with caution, but trying to get things in before Winter and dark evenings.

Nvella Sun 06-Sep-20 13:52:14

Started swimming a few weeks back. It’s lovely and very well organised

silverlining48 Sun 06-Sep-20 14:08:27

I have actually put my toe in the water as had a very quick paddle at a beach a week ago. Other than that returned to walking group being careful, but looking forward to a few days away next week. It’s been my ‘ something to look forward to’.

MawB2 Sun 06-Sep-20 14:18:24

Made it under the wire!
(No idea who the people are.)
All set for an afternoon of kulcher- but what a treat to get togged up and GO OUT

Fennel Sun 06-Sep-20 14:52:48

A sad occasion - an outdoor funeral last Friday - of the old lady my friend and I used to visit in the old age home. She was 94 and died of natural causes.
But it was good to see many old friends outside, most of whom have been indoors since lockdown. In spite of the funeral sadness it was quite uplifting. Especially the short speeches family members made about her. She was a lovely lady.

Abracadabra Sun 06-Sep-20 15:13:37

Riverwalk

Next week my dance class restarts and I've booked to see the Kimono exhibition at the V&A - might also go to an outdoor cinema if the weather holds up!

Thank you so much for posting about the Kimino exhibition, I will definitely be booking.

I’ve been out and about a lot, following all guidelines of course. Not “venturing” but ADventuring! On Friday, we went to Hampton Court as we are members of the Royal Historic Palaces so it was good to use our membership again. I cannot describe how fantastic a day it was, we loved every minute and of course it is spacious enough to allow a good number of socially-distanced visitors. The Palaces are really struggling, as I imagine are most in this sector sad. As with everywhere we have been to, they followed regulations closely and we felt very safe.

We also sat by the River Thames and are looking forward to returning with a picnic and walk along there. We had a lovely pub meal with the tables well apart and orders taken at your table either by an app or staff wearing face shields / masks. Many tables also had Perspex shields at the sides. It must be costing pubs a fortune.

My friend has been posting pictures of a near-deserted London, as was her train from the Midlands. Hotels in London are still very low in price though only, it seems, for this month before they rise again.

We also took Holy Communion in Westminster Abbey - my first indoor church service for months as we have been part of online church to allow others to go physically. Not everyone has easy access to the internet and numbers have to be limited. I do miss our church gatherings though!

It is lovely to read of people’s experiences. I think - I hope - we will never take these things for granted again because they can so easily be taken away. I do hope the arts and cultural attractions will be able to survive this - they hold a vital part in our history and society

Lucca Sun 06-Sep-20 16:21:05

People talking about wanting classes to restart makes me feel a bit guilty as I have said no to re starting teaching my class. I can’t face doing zoom as it isn’t great for my subject (and one of my students is blind.) The room we used is v small so same space would not work.
We keep in touch on what’s app and hopefully in the new year.....if my brain is still up to it!

netflixfan Sun 06-Sep-20 18:26:02

We went to Tate Liverpool last Sunday, our first trip out to a cultural thing. Enjoyed it so very much, even had tea and cake in the cafe! It was well organised and felt safe.