Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone dipping their social & cultural toes back in the water?

(74 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 05-Sep-20 11:27:12

Next week my dance class restarts and I've booked to see the Kimono exhibition at the V&A - might also go to an outdoor cinema if the weather holds up!

SunnySusie Sun 06-Sep-20 20:42:28

I went on a Blue Badge history tour this morning, half the normal numbers and outside so it felt fine. Went back to the gym as soon as it opened. All the doors and windows are open and the equipment spaced out so I had no worries. Also been to the hairdressers twice, the dentist once, ate out to help out four times and have been meeting friends in the local pub garden.

I would love to go to London to museums or art galleries and would be happy to take the train, but not sure what to do when I arrive. Which is safer, tube, bus or taxi?

M0nica Sun 06-Sep-20 22:33:55

Been out for several meals
Went away for the weekend, 2 nights in a B&B
Met up with family
Done a 2 day Car boot sale as a seller.
Planning another break in self-catering accommodation
Doing a sewing course in 2 weeks time; 6 of us in COVID protected setting
Resuming Tai Chi at the end of the month, either outdoors or in a very drafty hall. All members of my group are retired.

I am more likely to be killed on my way to and from these events than I am to be seriously ill or die of COVID.
I always wear gloves when out and always wear a mask if I am not in a large field or uncrowded street.

M0nica Sun 06-Sep-20 22:36:02

Oh yes, also had 2 hair appointments and once to the beautician for an eyebrow tint and shape.

Riverwalk Mon 07-Sep-20 06:55:49

I would love to go to London to museums or art galleries and would be happy to take the train, but not sure what to do when I arrive. Which is safer, tube, bus or taxi?

Obviously a taxi would be safer as you'd have it to yourself - but IMO that's not necessary as the tubes and buses are half empty, at the moment.

honeyrose Mon 07-Sep-20 09:27:40

Welcome to GN Jen777 and, yes, it’s great, but can take up a fair bit of your time if you really get into it! I only joined about 2 months ago and love it too. Some interesting topics and good conversation!

I have started to go out and about again. Although I know I should be giving the shops and restaurants/cafes my custom, I don’t want venture into my nearest big city (10 miles away) as I used to. No desire to - but I have been to local restaurants, cafes and shops with DH and/or friends. Felt very apprehensive at first, but confidence gradually increased. Still observing social distancing as much as possible. I love cinema, but can’t imagine going there for a while even though they’re are open. Also I adore theatre, but don’t think that’ll be happening for a while. I’ve met friends for coffee a few times at local cafes and it’s been extremely therapeutic to meet in person. I’m not a fan of FaceTime and prefer meeting up to a telephone call, wherever possible, but have of course used both during the lockdown. Have a few days in Norfolk in a month’s time and really looking forward to that. Also looking after 2 and half year old twin GC again, which is wonderful - life is gradually returning to normal. Can’t even contemplate the thought of a major second wave, so let’s hope we can get through autumn/winter and beyond “safely”. Looking forward to visiting some National Trust properties soon too. I’ve so missed normal life! Also been to doctor/dentist/hairdresser/library. We are being as careful as we can be - face coverings and hand wipes when needed!

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 09:35:44

Apologies for a long “copy and paste” but the DT often hides most of an article behind a firewall. I think it addresses many of our underlying fears about going out and about beyond the immediate “comfort zone” And why many of us are even finding it hard to summon up the energy or desire to do the things we have been prevented from doing by lockdown

Since restrictions eased, we’ve been encouraged to get out and about more, and we’ve even been offered incentives to do so. Despite this, many people are staying at home

A recent survey by Ipsos MORI on behalf of King’s College London concluded the public are still sticking to earlier “stay home” advice “to an extraordinary degree”. Forty-one per cent of the 2,254 UK residents surveyed said they’d not left home during five or more of the previous seven days, and one in seven hadn’t left home at all during the past week.

Fifty-two per cent said their greatest concern was fear of contracting Covid-19, more so than the threat to the economy; while 50 per cent thought it acceptable to home-school children until a vaccine is available. The poll is dated late May, so figures may have changed over the summer. None the less, it’s clear that fear is keeping many of us at home .

In a paper just published in The Lancet, Prof Edgar Jones at King’s College London draws parallels between the threat posed by Covid-19 and the aerial bombings during the Second World War, as both of these events exposed civilians to sustained dread.

In both cases, people downplayed the threat initially, then when things escalated they retreated to the safety of their homes – and during the Blitz this was despite availability of deep shelters which were considered safer. Jones refers to a “deep psychological sense of being protected at home” in both situations .

When we endure a continuing threat, why do we feel such a powerful desire to stay at home, even if logic tells us that’s not necessarily the safest or best option?

Your home is an important source of reassurance and self-expression. Enjoy these qualities, but don’t allow them to swamp your logic. Balance time at home with time going out safely. The latter will develop your self-confidence and sense of agency, while the former offers safety, identity and security.

I particularly identify with the final paragraph but it can be a struggle.

trustgone4sure Mon 07-Sep-20 10:20:50

No i`m not,i heard on the radio and read in the paper that Covid cases are creeping back up.
Iv`e gone this far so won`t risk it.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Sep-20 10:20:58

Do you mean a ‘paywall’ Maw? That sounds a bit dangerous!
??

Riverwalk Mon 07-Sep-20 12:41:36

MawB2

In a completely deserted railway carriage apart from me for a day out in London and visit to Tate Modern.
?

Did you go to the Warhol Maw or just a general mosey around?

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 13:23:28

Urmstongran

Do you mean a ‘paywall’ Maw? That sounds a bit dangerous!
??

Oh oops! I knew it sounded wrong! blushblush

Happy Anniversary! ??

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 13:25:22

Riverwalk

MawB2

In a completely deserted railway carriage apart from me for a day out in London and visit to Tate Modern.
?

Did you go to the Warhol Maw or just a general mosey around?

I went to the Warhols.
Interesting and so easy to see with restricted numbers. Being only 5’2” I suffer at popular exhibitions by 6’6”rugger players with front row shoulders invariably standing in front of me!

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 14:14:08

Could be fun though Maw....

HannahLoisLuke Tue 08-Sep-20 18:36:44

Went to Wales for a long weekend with the family. Noticed that very few people were wearing masks in enclosed spaces.
We ventured into a pub for a quick drink on Saturday evening where the locals were watching the England/Iceland game. The shouting and the fact we were served a drink in a glass with lipstick decided us to leave pronto!

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 20:40:14

Went to Wales for a long weekend with the family. Noticed that very few people were wearing masks in enclosed spaces.

It is compulsory on public transport in Wales but they are not mandatory elsewhere.
Welsh people are not ignoring the rules.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 20:41:33

Welsh people are not ignoring the rules.

Well, some may be but masks are not mandatory in shops etc.

Riverwalk Fri 11-Sep-20 07:09:13

It was such a joy to return to my dance class - although really am hopeless! I just about managed the rapid cha-cha steps to the tune of Copacabana but when Latin hip and body motions are introduced I'm aware of being an old English granny grin

The Kimono exhibition at the V&A is excellent for anyone thinking of going - the reduced crowds in the museum as a whole made it all very comfortable and safe.

janeainsworth Fri 11-Sep-20 07:23:09

I’ve had my hair done in Fenwicks in Newcastle - they have made significant changes to the store layout so there’s much more space between the displays. There weren’t many other people anyway.
Then I went to the William & Evelyn de Morgan exhibition at the Laing Art Gallery - pre-booked, well organised one-way route through the galleries & felt very safe.
Played tennis with friends & afternoon tea in the garden,

I’m not sure about our next venture. MrA is still reluctant to go to restaurants or stay anywhere, and I appear to have agreed to 3 nights’ camping in the Lake District at the end of September shockhmm

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:06:08

Mark Drayford, First Minister in Wales has declined to make masks compulsory (other than public transport which obviously sometimes crosses the border with England) as he reckons the science doesn’t add up.

I’ve been wearing a mask when in close proximity to others since lockdown began (along with other hygienic habits) and haven’t waited to be instructed on best practice. We all need to take the measures we feel best protect us rather than what individual governments proscribe, especially as they can’t all agree.

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:34:43

Pantglas2

Mark Drayford, First Minister in Wales has declined to make masks compulsory (other than public transport which obviously sometimes crosses the border with England) as he reckons the science doesn’t add up.

I’ve been wearing a mask when in close proximity to others since lockdown began (along with other hygienic habits) and haven’t waited to be instructed on best practice. We all need to take the measures we feel best protect us rather than what individual governments proscribe, especially as they can’t all agree.

Did you mean this to be on this thread Pantglas ?

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:49:45

As HannahLL had mentioned the breaking of (none existent masks) rules in Wales, Maw, that my reply was pertinent?

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:58:55

Oh sorry, I hadn’t seen that, I was just going by the thread title.

grannysyb Fri 11-Sep-20 10:19:06

My upholstery class started yesterday in the community centre. We all took our temperatures, took sanitiser, wore masks and were socially distanced. It was really lovely to see everyone again. We have also been out for a couple of meals , and had family round.

Cabbie21 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:31:28

We had planned to go to an outdoor antique fair tomorrow but now DH does not think it is safe.
Trying to decide what else we can do.