Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What colours are fashionable for clothes this autumn?

(112 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Sat 05-Sep-20 16:31:37

I've put on a whole load of weight with lockdown & now the temperatures are dropping I need a few new things to wear but I've no idea what colours are trendy. Any ideas?

Magnolia62 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:14:10

I own nothing blue. It has never suited me. I like dusky pink and cerise but don’t possess any clothes in those colours. I loathe salmon pink, again because it does nothing for me. I suit autumnal colours, greens and oranges, maybe crimson deep reds and mustard. Not that I own a lot of clothes as I wear them until they die!

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 23:21:26

I am still looking for red wine tops and cardigan. Preferably Shiraz red.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Sep-20 23:16:41

As soon as Coffee Drip Brown comes into fashion, I'm stocking up!

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 23:01:49

Marydoll

You could either follow the trends and look awful, if you don't suit the colours or wear what suits you and look good.
It's a no brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes!

I remember when a putrid green/yellow was 'fashionable' - didn't suit anyone and must have been designed by
misogynist!

Juicylucy Mon 07-Sep-20 21:19:41

All fashion houses are starting to bring out there autumn winter range so that will give you an idea what colours are in this year. Good for you keeping up with what’s in and what’s not, girl after my own heart.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Sep-20 21:18:06

Nothing back from the OP after over 100 replies?

Could this inane thread have been started to wind us up? I’m beginning to think so.

In fact I’d go so far as to say the style of the OP reminds me of someone... I’m trying to work out who.

GreenGran78 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:45:05

Just who are the fashion police that dictate what people should wear? I buy what catches my eye, and what suits me. I don’t care what others think about my clothes.

123kitty Mon 07-Sep-20 20:30:50

Stop worrying about the colours and lose that added weight

Marydoll Mon 07-Sep-20 20:03:37

You could either follow the trends and look awful, if you don't suit the colours or wear what suits you and look good.
It's a no brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

Diggingdoris Mon 07-Sep-20 20:00:36

I'm a 50 shades of blue lady. An occasional red, turquoise or lavender. I know what suits my colouring and am not bothered with what colour is in fashion.

Chris0 Mon 07-Sep-20 19:27:50

Wear what colour pleases you. Dress for yourself not for fashion

wetflannel Mon 07-Sep-20 18:24:17

Phoenix I agree about wearing what colour you like with grey\white hair. I had my hair cut really short when my roots starting emerging, now it is a silvery blonde and I can get away with bright colours.

AGAA4 Mon 07-Sep-20 17:10:46

I am in blue and turquoise today and my wardrobe is full of those colours with the odd splash of dark peach with lime green trimmings.

phoenix Mon 07-Sep-20 17:00:14

When I gave up the dye (red) and embraced the grey, I discovered colours that would previously been off limits, violet, mustard among others!

It's not just your skin tone, if you have changed your hair colour during lockdown then that might affect colours that suit you.

Hymnbook Mon 07-Sep-20 16:20:40

I've just bought a bright yellow sweater.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 07-Sep-20 16:05:53

I really go by what I feel comfortable in first and foremost, I know what things suit me and what doesn’t, that goes for colours too, so I usually wear burgundy’s navy’s browns taupes and monochrome with a bit of leopard print some days,

Unigran4 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:59:53

Browse through some of the clothing catalogues on line (J D Williams, Witt International, Marasota, etc) and see what colour predominates in these.

Dinahmo Mon 07-Sep-20 15:34:34

honeyrose

I don’t bother too much with whatever colours are in fashion as I just wear what suits me. I had this Colour Me Beautiful (not that I’m beautiful!) colour analysis and also style analysis about 30 years ago and I still wear the soft muted autumnal shades (with a bit of bending the “rules” occasionally) and that stands me in good stead. My skin tone is probably about the same as if was then, although hair now coloured and body shape DEFINITELY altered (so I have to allow for a bigger tummy!). I do quite like lime green, but not a vibrant lime - I do love lemony yellow though which is more my colour. Blue is not really my colour. Bluebelle - I love the word “bilious” - always makes me smile for some reason!

I had a Colour Me Beautiful analysis back in the 80's. I was a spring which meant peaches, apricots, creams, none of which were in fashion. Also no dark colours which was annoying as I'd just bought a very dark navy suit, which I loved. Prior to my consultation I'd worn moss greens and rusty reds because being a red head I thought that's what I should wear but I had very pale skin so totally the wrong shades for me. I have several scarves which help if I'm wearing something too dark for me.

Serendipity22 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:24:32

Mustard, ruby red ( rust ) beige and brown are the colours that I have seen ( and are in my wardrobe hahaha ) ohh and camel.

Roll on Autumn, my favourite season smile

Coggers94 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:18:33

I wear whatever colours I want whether it's summer or winter.

Sparklefizz Mon 07-Sep-20 14:51:25

phoenix

Who knows or cares? Just wear colours you like and that suit you! If they are both, then double win!

Impossible, though, if the shops/fashion has deemed otherwise.

honeyrose Mon 07-Sep-20 14:40:24

I don’t bother too much with whatever colours are in fashion as I just wear what suits me. I had this Colour Me Beautiful (not that I’m beautiful!) colour analysis and also style analysis about 30 years ago and I still wear the soft muted autumnal shades (with a bit of bending the “rules” occasionally) and that stands me in good stead. My skin tone is probably about the same as if was then, although hair now coloured and body shape DEFINITELY altered (so I have to allow for a bigger tummy!). I do quite like lime green, but not a vibrant lime - I do love lemony yellow though which is more my colour. Blue is not really my colour. Bluebelle - I love the word “bilious” - always makes me smile for some reason!

Dinahmo Mon 07-Sep-20 14:33:40

Does it matter? Wear what you like and what suits you.

March15 Mon 07-Sep-20 14:31:23

I heard that red was a colour of the moment, and paisley patterns are on trend. I like to be aware of the new colours, etc, but like others have said, if they don't suit your colouring, try something else!!

kathyd Mon 07-Sep-20 13:58:53

I'm wearing black jeans, scarlet jumper and an orange cardigan. I have just been told how nice I look.