Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DVLA notifications

(15 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 19:49:18

I've just realised, in a mad panic, that my Road Tax for the year was due. I hadn't received any notification through the post, as I usually do, and so checked online. It had expired on the 1st September shock. I've renewed it now, via their website but I wondered if the hard copy notifications were no longer being sent out. Anybody know?

J52 Wed 09-Sep-20 20:06:21

I’ve just had one, so yours probably got lost in the post.

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Sep-20 20:15:18

Chewbacca I’ve renewed mine online in recent years and they don’t send out a paper copy. Presumably because police etc can access it instantly online.

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Sep-20 20:19:35

Apologies J52 it looks like I’ve contradicted you as our post crossed. I’ve renewed mine online for at least 3 years and have never received anything in the post. I just make sure I save the email.

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 20:45:38

Well, if the police check my car now on the DVLA website grannywannynanny, they'll think it's still untaxed until the website updates! I've put a reminder in my phone to double check before the end of each August from now on.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 20:48:36

I renew online every year but I still get a hard copy reminder

Bellanonna Wed 09-Sep-20 20:53:28

Yes I get a postal reminder even though I renew online. Chewy it does sound as though yours just never got to you.

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 20:56:34

Maybe they're all "working from home" too Bellanonna and can't get to the post box!

Bellanonna Wed 09-Sep-20 20:58:35

You could well be right there! ?

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Sep-20 21:04:48

Chewbacca I’m sorry I’ve just realised I misread your post and I thought you were asking if you would receive something in the post after online renewal. Everyone please just ignore me, it’s one of those days ?

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 21:16:42

No worries Grannynannywanny! I've been having several senior moments myself just lately, hence forgetting my Road Tax renewal! grin

SueDonim Wed 09-Sep-20 21:24:02

We each get a reminder a few weeks before the renewal is due. It has a reference number you use on the DVLA website to pay.

I’m sure I’d never remember if I didn’t get a memory jog!

east12 Wed 09-Sep-20 22:32:23

I have just had my reminder.

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 22:37:15

I received a paper reminder that I don't have anything to pay and if I didn't go online to pay nothing I'd have to pay a fine. I then received an email informing me that I'd paid nothing and was, therefore, taxed for another year. confused

Georgesgran Thu 10-Sep-20 01:14:18

DH and I decided to pay our road tax to DVLA monthly. His is £22.75 and mine’s £17.50. I think the ‘interest’ charge is a minimal amount, just a few pence each month.
Means we can’t ‘forget’ to pay it and helps to spread the cost. We do the same with out TV licence.