Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How come.............

(23 Posts)
kittylester Fri 18-Sep-20 20:09:55

sodapop

Lemonade scones kittylester tell me more.

I never drink tea and hate making it for other people as I don't think I get it right.

Just flour (and I used gf!!) double cream and lemonade. Google it - it's magic.

Pittcity Fri 18-Sep-20 19:14:25

DH makes a lovely cup of tea but never drinks it himself.

seacliff Fri 18-Sep-20 18:36:43

I never drink tea either.

But it's the same with coffee. Same type. Sometimes it's pleasant enough, and other times it REALLY goes down well, absolutely delicious.

Sark Fri 18-Sep-20 18:27:46

Urmstongran you are right..in times of sadness tea is definitely needed.
I remember once when we were all sitting around following a bereavement my Mum who is famous for making a bad cup of tea decided to make a pot.
As she poured it some one said 'Janet ..that tea hardly has the strength to get out of the teapot!!'
Made us all laugh which was nice

welbeck Fri 18-Sep-20 18:22:06

the cup that cheers.
esp when made by a.n. other.

sodapop Fri 18-Sep-20 18:02:07

Lemonade scones kittylester tell me more.

I never drink tea and hate making it for other people as I don't think I get it right.

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-20 16:58:49

I've just made our 4th cup of the day - it was perfect! So were the homemade lemonade scones to go with it!!

Niobe Fri 18-Sep-20 13:03:31

And why does the cup of tea the nurses make for you just after you’ve had a baby taste so bloody good??

EllanVannin Fri 18-Sep-20 12:56:46

I call my step-D's tea--pneumonia tea--because it's too weak to come out of the pot. It's horrendous grin

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-20 12:39:23

janeainsworth

kitty here is Barbara Pym on the subject of the vagaries of tea-making (from Excellent Women)

That could be it, jane. Or how well you've slept!! grin

My point wasnt really about how you make it but even when making it the same every time doesn't produce the same result.

Though when you get a really good one, it is fabulous!

Auntieflo Fri 18-Sep-20 11:38:23

We like Earl Grey tea, weak and black, made in a pot, with 1 teabag.
It is odd that sometimes the tea has more 'body' than at others.

But, if I am volunteering, I do enjoy a mug of builders tea!

janeainsworth Fri 18-Sep-20 11:32:20

kitty here is Barbara Pym on the subject of the vagaries of tea-making (from Excellent Women)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Sep-20 11:22:15

I make the most dreadful tea, fortunately GrandpaGravy is a tea expert so my morning cuppa (in bed every day we have been together) is always welcome brew

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sep-20 10:42:00

I've just had a cuppa! It's one of life's mysteries, I think. I only have whole milk left at the moment and the tea tastes too creamy as I normally have skimmed milk. I like tea very dark and my toast light.

Grannynannywanny Fri 18-Sep-20 10:40:37

I prefer making it in a preheated teapot even if it’s only for one. My grandmother always made hers in a teapot then sat the teapot on the hob to stay warm.
That method went horribly wrong when my dad bought her one of those insulated plastic looking teapots in the 70’s. She melted the new fangled teapot on the hob.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Sep-20 10:34:08

A comfort drink. Even the making of it in times of upset “shall I put the kettle on?”. Soothes the mind.

Squiffy Fri 18-Sep-20 10:30:54

I always remember my Uncle saying, "After warming the pot, take the pot to the kettle, not the kettle to the pot" - all to do with the temperature. I'm not sure that his split-second timing would have made that much difference though!

Greenfinch Fri 18-Sep-20 09:27:35

And why is it sometimes hotter than others although the kettle always reaches boiling point ?

Spangler Fri 18-Sep-20 09:22:53

My wife says much the same. She prefers my tea to her own. Personally, I cannot stand tea, either the smell or taste. But I have always made it the same way. Heat the cup with boiled water, return water to the kettle, reheat the water until boiling fiercely, pour onto tea bag in the heated cup.

Of course could always try making it the way that American lady did it by warming up a mug of water in the microwave and adding in an abundance of milk and sugar.
You might well have had a thread on that, it was before my time on Gransnet.
www.insider.com/american-tiktok-user-made-british-tea-reactions-2020-6

Funnygran Fri 18-Sep-20 09:08:18

Same tea bags, same water, different cup of tea. I’ve found that if I’m the slightest bit heavy handed with the milk my tea tastes completely different. DH drinks his black for that very reason.

trustgone4sure Fri 18-Sep-20 08:39:58

I had this conversation with my Dh just recently and i have decided that it must be down to the tea itself.
Be it bag or loose.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Sep-20 08:36:08

I share your frustration kitty! How is it Himself always makes a better cuppa than I do?
?
#lazygran

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-20 08:27:03

if I make a pot of tea exactly the same way each time sometimes it is a really 'good cup of tea' and other times it isn't? confused