Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What constitutes a "fall"?

(130 Posts)
phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 20:31:11

Hello all,

Is a "a fall" different to falling/slipping over?

I always thought that having "a fall" was associated with elderly people?

Yesterday I slipped on some mud while shifting some heavy bags of slate chippings, landed on my arse bottomblush

Did I fall, or have " a fall* confused

NanTheWiser Tue 27-Oct-20 11:08:08

I had a “slip-up” just this morning! Outside my local supermarket, I slipped on a wet manhole cover, my foot went under and my leg folded underneath me. Fortunately no damage done as far as I can see, apart from a slightly aching leg, but you think the worst as it happens, hoping you haven’t broken any bones.

That follows the slip on the stairs a few weeks ago, which resulted in a trip to A+E to have a cut head glued.

Must take more water with it... grin

MamaBear20 Wed 28-Oct-20 02:03:41

Thanks for the laughs with some wonderful stories ladies! I am sorry to anyone who was hurt falling and I hope you healed quickly. I’ve always disliked the phrase “had a fall”, and yes it is most definitely a term used for frail elderly people. If you’re not at risk of breaking a bone when you hit the ground, people will say “she fell.” There seems to be a seriousness added to the situation when someone “had a fall”.
Also need to add, and I hate to burst bubbles here, but 60 is only middle age if you live to 120. Embrace the golden years ladies! ❤️

Hetty58 Wed 28-Oct-20 02:16:54

MamaBear, we never apply 'frail elderly' to ourselves do we? It's always other people!

Fennel Wed 28-Oct-20 17:29:07

re breaking bones - another problem of old age is osteoporosis. fragility of bones.
This can actually cause falling as a bone bends or snaps. or happen as a result of the fall.
You can have a bone density test to see if you're vulnerable for this, and if you are, take medication which helps. Also regular walking and carrying heavy bags of shopping !