Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Washing electric blanket

(9 Posts)
travelnan Wed 23-Sep-20 10:14:29

I have just washed my electric blanket as per instructions but it does not seem to be heating up as it should, it only gets warm. Any thoughts?

Teetime Wed 23-Sep-20 11:53:14

erg!!! I wouldnt have done it {hmm}

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:10:11

I wash mine after every winter. Never had any problem at all.

Elegran Wed 23-Sep-20 12:11:05

I don't know why it only gets warm, but I definitely would be VERY careful that it was absolutely dry before using it. I remember a tragic case in the papers years ago - newly-weds were living with parents, and had washed an electric underblanket before replacing it when it was almost dry, and going to bed. It was still plugged in but turned off at the plug. Mother-in-law plugged a vacuum in at the same double switch and accidentally switched on the blanket - which electrocuted them.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:13:13

Mother in law was hoovering whilst couple were in bed!!! Very weird.

Elegran Wed 23-Sep-20 12:16:38

Don't know why! It was a long time ago and I may have the details wrong - but I do clearly remember it said that the blanket was plugged into a power point on the landing, outside the bedroom, and something else was plugged in and switched on. Houses had fewer power points then.

Elegran Wed 23-Sep-20 12:17:39

Hoovering the stairs and landing, I think, not the bedroom! You can carry being houseproud a little too far.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:49:44

??

Roses Wed 23-Sep-20 13:26:17

I would not feel safe using it again after it's been washed