Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone doing ‘Sober October’? I can’t decide ... ?

(98 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 01-Oct-20 21:19:03

Well, I’ve not had any wine or a G&T yet. So I can decide tomorrow!

What put me off (I’ve done ‘dry’ January before and once gave up alcohol for Lent - 48 days!) is someone once said it’s the people with a ‘problem’ who embrace this nonsense as moderate drinkers know they don’t need to do it anyway as they are more sensible.

What do you think?

allule Fri 02-Oct-20 18:48:13

Another Aldi wine fan here. The only snag I have found is when my total price for six bottles is below the £30 needed for free delivery smile

Esspee Fri 02-Oct-20 18:05:01

My OH is doing it as a way to cut down on calories. I am assisting him by finishing off all his wine so that he won't accidentally forget and have a glass.
I am helpful like that.?

lefthanded Fri 02-Oct-20 15:55:04

I shall be doing “Sober October” - absolutely, completely, no alcohol at any time during the month.

Oh by the way, did I mention that I am teetotal?

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:53:46

We just decided not to have alcohol during the week. Being doing that for years. If we're on holiday or a special occasion that's OK. Its actually ended up with me not being bothered either way if I have a glass at the weekend or not but I do like a glass of wine with a meal out. DH enjoys his wine and can look forward to it at the end of the week.

Kate1949 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:14:58

Oh yes ,*vegansrock*. I remember telling a non-drinking friend that I had a couple of glasses of wine most nights. She was horrified. Well, I'm 71. I'm OK. Every time I speak to this person she had a cold, chest infection, aches and pains or something or other. I never have any of the above. My life has been difficult and I find it hard to relax. I enjoy a couple of drinks. Before anyone says 'alcohol isn't the answer' I know but a little of what you fancy does you good.

Kate1949 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:01:27

No twinnytwin it's not just you. We have a few drinks most nights too.

Alioop Fri 02-Oct-20 14:01:02

Don't drink so maybe I should do the opposite....now giving up chocolate that would be the one for me. I always have a good stash of it in the cupboard.

Mollygo Fri 02-Oct-20 13:48:47

Love the sponsor idea but I drink so infrequently I’d have trouble finding sponsors. I used to have a red wine if we went out for a meal but that hasn’t happened for so long now.
We have shared a few cans of cider on really hot days this year but that’s about it so I probably would be ‘dry’ this month anyway.
Good luck to all those who are doing Sober October, whether they feel they need to or not.

parkersheen Fri 02-Oct-20 13:08:22

There have been so many restrictions this year I certainly don't want to self-impose another one! My once a week wine night keeps me sane!
Also - I'm fairly new to GN - what is the Argy? Or is it a secret meeting place for GNers 'in the know' lol wink

homefarm Fri 02-Oct-20 13:06:57

Don't know at all
I don't drink, never have, it all tastes so horrible.
But the best of luck with sober October to all of those do give up

songstress60 Fri 02-Oct-20 12:59:34

I don't drink at all, and I think UK has the worst binge drinkers in Europe, so I think alot of people should look at their drinking habits.

Liz46 Fri 02-Oct-20 12:57:33

Good luck Buttonjugs. Let us know how you get on. We have been drinking more, largely out of boredom as we have been shielded and have not had a social life.
We started soberish October yesterday. I was chatting to one of my daughters on the phone earlier and she seems to think I have not got it quite right!

Applegran Fri 02-Oct-20 12:55:37

I used to drink wine, and some other alcaholic drinks, just a bit, but many years ago realised I didn't actually like them! I felt liberated when I decided to stop! I realise it is different for others.

JaneRn Fri 02-Oct-20 12:53:38

One glass of wine every evening with my dinner, the occasional single malt. Switch to Campari in the summer or when family or friends visit on a hot day "cheat's" Pimms. Just as good as the real one and a lot cheaper. Have used this recipe for years and never had any complaints!

Buttonjugs Fri 02-Oct-20 12:43:20

I had already stopped drinking last month because I am a problem drinker and mainly because of my weight health etc. I have vowed not to drink until Christmas. When I told my son he said ‘Good luck with that.’ It’s almost as though he has no faith in me!

Jaxjacky Fri 02-Oct-20 12:19:52

I’m not going to stop for October, small treats during this time are cheering. But I will make a donation to Macmillan.

Mapleleaf Fri 02-Oct-20 11:35:22

Will I be doing refraining from any alcohol in October? No, not completely. ?

Craftycat Fri 02-Oct-20 11:32:18

Not a chance- we need something to get us through this horrible period. A couple of glasses of wine & the odd G & T will do the trick!

Dwmxwg Fri 02-Oct-20 11:27:43

I’m in. Always do dry and red (exercise every day) January too. Have found my body is less forgiving of a bit of indulgence as I get older ?

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 02-Oct-20 11:25:20

Don't drink much, but don't blame anyone for not wanting to be sober this October the way things are!!

twinnytwin Fri 02-Oct-20 11:23:34

Oh my word, is it only me and DH that have a few drinks almost every night. Never done any of the sober months either. DH birthday this month, so dry October out of the window. My parents always drank every day, my Dad until he died aged 92, my Mum until she went into a care home aged 90. The grandkids are collected every school day around 6pm and we celebrate with a glass of white wine and a can of beer.

Urmstongran Fri 02-Oct-20 11:21:38

Oh I didn’t know that schnackie.

Once when I did dry January I collected sponsors at the hospital where I worked for a good cause. My colleagues knew how much I enjoyed my wines so they gave generously and altogether stumped up over £300.
?

schnackie Fri 02-Oct-20 11:18:41

May I just point out that the campaign is to raise money for the Macmillan organisation, not to really change drinking habits. smile

Urmstongran Fri 02-Oct-20 11:10:07

MawB2

As somebody said....
Stuff sober October, I’m on a bender till December. wine

That made me giggle Maw !
?

NanaPlenty Fri 02-Oct-20 11:04:47

I don’t know about sober october - I need to stop eating so much. This virus has thrown everything for me (or maybe it’s just an excuse). Everything in moderation seems sensible .