Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Who Gives A Crap

(60 Posts)
TheFrugalPiggy Fri 02-Oct-20 15:11:41

Does anyone here use Who Gives A Crap for their toilet roll needs. This isn't linked to me panic buying or hoarding loo roll. I'm just trying to support smaller businesses and the environment. We currently use Andrex Quilted so I'm looking for similar.

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 02-Oct-20 19:53:50

Thanks for the confirmation that Andrex is from the UK. As well as the environmental issues, I don't really want to support the Chinese economy over our own - anymore than I already do through other products!

moggie57 Fri 02-Oct-20 20:07:04

What's wrong with soap and water.you HSE this in the bath .what's different outside the bath

moggie57 Fri 02-Oct-20 20:07:25

Use

lemongrove Fri 02-Oct-20 21:27:02

Why buy Chinese when you can buy British? Nothing much better than Andrex anyway.

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Oct-20 00:51:55

moggie57

What's wrong with soap and water.you HSE this in the bath .what's different outside the bath

It's loo roll moggie ? ...not sure I fancy it in the bath...

mumofmadboys Sat 03-Oct-20 06:51:16

I read an article the other day about a family who don't use loo roll. They are trying to stop producing so much waste . They use squares of rags/ old clothes, place in a bucket and wash and recycle. I thought it was interesting and I admire their care for the environment. They said they keep a loo roll for visitors in case they are not happy with the alternative arrangement.

Juliet27 Sat 03-Oct-20 07:04:44

The company says ‘ We donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for those in need.’

Calendargirl Sat 03-Oct-20 07:26:43

NotSpaghetti

My daughter used to buy this and gave us one roll to "try at home".
We are used to Andrex and I'm afraid it wasn't so soft, irrespective of what it's made of. Not even as soft as the not-so-nice Andrex version.

We have all got a bit ‘soft’ over the years haven’t we?
Come on, I bet most of us GN’ers were brought up on good old Izal!
Our bums were made of sterner stuff back in the 50’s and 60’s.

??????

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 08:30:30

Ethical Wins:

All paper - 100% forest friendly bamboo, sugar cane or recycled paper rolls (you get to choose too) and the wrappers are paper, printed with soy inks

Charitable company - they have donated over $1 mil to sanitation and hygiene projects through charities like Wateraid

No bleach - or inks or dyes so your bottom is safe from questionable chemicals

Saving water - by using quick grow plants and eco-friendly materials

Avoiding greenhouse gas emissions - through using sustainable materials

Fair factory - their Chinese production factory gets inspected regularly by the company and a third party to ensure good conditions for employees and the environment

Wins for Your Back Pocket:

100% money back guarantee

Double length rolls mean they should last longer

Megs36 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:05:52

Went shopping this week, young assistant looking exasperated at empty loo roll shelves said loudly IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOUR BUM, I thought this would make a lovely poster in shop windows.......??

May7 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:35:00

I'm with you furret the ethical and charitable side far outweighs it for me and my family.
Weve been using this company for a while. The toilet rolls are strong and you dont need as much. Yes they are a bit pricier but ethical purchases usually are. They last twice as long as Andrex and they get delivered to your door. You control the amount you need and when you need it.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 03-Oct-20 12:05:28

Can those who say they don't want to buy because it comes from China put their hand on their hearts and say they have NOTHING that isn't made in China. iPads, laptops, phones, vacuum cleaners etc.

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 12:20:15

I prefer to wash after wiping so no need for reams of paper.

Lucca Sat 03-Oct-20 12:36:42

T M I

annsixty Sat 03-Oct-20 12:40:12

Will bidets make a comeback?

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Oct-20 12:48:37

Barmyoldbat no I can’t say I have nothing made in China. I shouldn’t think many, if any, of us could.
I am trying to keep it to a minimum. I grew up in HK from age 5 until I came over here to college. I am so appalled at what they have done to the ex colony and boycotting their products when I can is my only weapon.
I am totally aware that it may be futile but I will do it anyway.

MerylStreep Sat 03-Oct-20 12:59:15

Barmyoldbat
There are some items that I need but have no choice ?
Where I do, and even though they cost more, I will buy from these people.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 03-Oct-20 14:19:42

Pamela j, I can understand your reason for not buying anything made in China, it is hard. I don't buy anything that comes from Israel as I have strong beliefs on what happening out there.

Grammaretto Sat 03-Oct-20 14:42:54

I am another who prefers eco friendly where possible but since so many things are made in China all I can do is question the suppliers .
A friend who personally boycots Chinese goods for different reasons. (Tibet) finds it hard to buy British and often can't afford to.

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 15:45:20

This is not a Chinese company. It is Australian. You’d be amazed just what is manufactured in China.

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Oct-20 16:51:09

Furret I’m not sure that I would be amazed. Seems like most things are.

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 18:20:57

Perhaps not! But many would be.

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 21:54:28

A soak in a warm bidet is soothing for people with IBS

JuneRose Sat 03-Oct-20 22:35:42

They use it at work it's fine. I didn't know it was from China.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-20 00:35:33

Furret yes, it's an Australian company but the paper IS manufactured in China.

Chinese suppliers can wrap our rolls in paper, get 400 sheets on small rolls and pack them into boxes of 48. Western producers had non-flexible, automated production lines
... from the company's blog.