Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Experience with aluminium venetian blinds?

(8 Posts)
sandelf Thu 08-Oct-20 19:18:46

We have wooden venetians (not made to measure - just 'best fit' we could find when we moved). There is nothing awful about them, but I think I'd like to change to venetian slim blinds. If properly made to measure would they:- cut out as much light as the wooden ones (which are pale cream), I think they would be lighter (so easier to draw up and cords break less often), and would draw into a smaller stack. Can anyone comment - pros, cons, preferences?

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-20 19:35:09

We changed from vertical fabric blinds to silver venetian. I like them so much better.
We got them from a company called, blinds2go.
www.blinds-2go.co.uk
They have a calculator thingy, where you put in your measurements to fit your window exactly. They weren't expensive at all.
One was damaged on arrival, but we sent a photo and it was replaced quickly, with no quibble.

PinkCakes Thu 08-Oct-20 19:38:36

We've got them in the kitchen. We got them from Wilko, never had a problem.

crazyH Thu 08-Oct-20 19:51:04

Yes, I have the Silver, horizontal blinds- they look nice, cut out light when closed, light to pull up and easy to clean. I had them from a local Blind Supplier and Fitter. I would advise to get it locally - they will measure, bring you a Sample book, you choose, and then they measure and fit them for you. Unless you have a very handy husband/partner, I would opt for the fitting service.

Doodle Thu 08-Oct-20 19:58:01

crazyH easy to clean, not mine ?
We have Venetian blinds on 5 windows in our flat and I am fed up with them. As blinds they work well but I absolutely hate cleaning them, particularly the narrow ones. They get so dusty. I have tried all the gadgets but I get worn out reaching up to clean each individual slat.

crazyH Thu 08-Oct-20 20:20:06

Doodle?
Yes true, easy for me to say, because someone else cleans them. ??

Doodle Thu 08-Oct-20 20:24:49

Ah... that’s the answer ?

harrigran Fri 09-Oct-20 15:32:37

I bought two of these blinds for my kitchen from John Lewis. I am very pleased with them, very lightweight but are effective at keeping the sun out.