Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Candles

(61 Posts)
kittylester Sun 11-Oct-20 17:40:22

For our wedding anniversary a friend face us a molton and brown candle. I have never used candles before but I love it.

However, I looked at the price and was shocked.

So, can anyone suggest some lovely candles or some where to get Mokton & Briwn candles at vastly reduced prices.

And, which 'flavours' do you like?

Sweetchile Mon 12-Oct-20 23:13:58

Try Wilko candles their lime and mint is lovely. I found the Sainsbury lavender and geranium help when you have after migraine headaches too.

Gucci101 Mon 12-Oct-20 20:45:47

I agree that Jo Malone candles are one of my favourites, recently I bought a candle and diffuser from Chase and Wonder definitely recommend also they smell amazing and last a while too.

Chewbacca Mon 12-Oct-20 20:41:12

I was just looking at the St Eval candles on Saturday Mimo, they are lovely but at £7 for 8 tea lights, they're a bit expensive. I love their cucumber ones, really does smell fresh and clean.

Chewbacca Mon 12-Oct-20 20:37:50

And John Lewis sells them too Rosiebee

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Oct-20 20:05:41

Rosiebee Waitrose and Amazon have them.

kittylester Mon 12-Oct-20 19:36:56

Rosiebee

Does anyone know where I can get a Price's Cooks candle from? I remember them being recommended to get rid of cooking smells. Thought I could use one in kitchen after doing a stir fry or fried fish.

Sainsbury's sell them. They are Chef's candles - presumably one has to be a very good cook to use them - which seems counter intuitive!'grin

Rosiebee Mon 12-Oct-20 19:30:10

Does anyone know where I can get a Price's Cooks candle from? I remember them being recommended to get rid of cooking smells. Thought I could use one in kitchen after doing a stir fry or fried fish.

BlueSky Mon 12-Oct-20 19:13:54

Off to Aldi then! smile

jerseygirl Mon 12-Oct-20 17:12:18

Yankee candles. They do some lovely ones at christmas.

Caro57 Mon 12-Oct-20 16:47:25

Aldi - leave some for me! grin

MissElly Mon 12-Oct-20 16:08:50

For long lasting, gorgeous natural scents my absolute favourite candles are Max Benjamin. They cleverly do replacements so you just finish a candle, you can buy another in cardboard and just pop it into the old glass container. Less cost and less waste! Also use the diffusers which are great as you have the fragrance in your house even when you can’t leave the candles on. Love Neom too but very pricy. So happy to have found these as I love subtle fragrance in the house and like others here, can’t stand overpowering chemical scents.

Markoni40 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:25:47

I use melts instead of candles. Purchased on Etsy some very nice and inexpensive organic beeswax melts and it goes for ages... so long that I actually trashed them in order to change the scent. Really recommending..

Atqui Mon 12-Oct-20 14:37:47

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/home-fragrances/best-non-toxic-candle-paraffin-free-wax-cotton-wick-soy-natural-a9603136.html

Atqui Mon 12-Oct-20 14:32:18

Oh thanks NotANanna .Imwas trying to think of that make- Neom- but they are fearfully expensive.However it depends how often and how long you burn them . I also like Neals Yard - also expensive but presumably not so toxic as the cheap ones.

NotANana Mon 12-Oct-20 13:10:17

I do like Neom. They seem to burn “clean” and not leave a smoky residue on the glass container.

tanith Mon 12-Oct-20 12:49:38

I don’t have candles in the house the toxins they produce are harmful and I find they make a house feel stuffy never have the plug in thingies either.

Purplepixie Mon 12-Oct-20 12:48:52

I hate candles and the horrible smells that they give off just send my sinuses into overdrive.

varian Mon 12-Oct-20 12:45:39

Waitrose do some unusual scented candles, such as Tomato Vine, the scent of perfect fresh tomato.

Mimo Mon 12-Oct-20 12:40:32

Aldi and currently B&M are doing very similar to the Aldi ones. £3.99 together with room diffusers. No 4 is a direct copy of malone and no 3 is lovely wild fit and cassis. None have that nasty chemical smell. Of course I love malone and white co esp winter however if you want the most stunning fragrance, The St Eval Candle co. My fave is sea salt. The bay and rosemary smells like Sunday roast. They use natural fragrances and are made here in Cornwall, IMO the BEST

Singlegrannie Mon 12-Oct-20 12:38:55

Won't have candles in my house, they are a fire risk and produce harmful gases. I suffer from allergic rhinitis and can't cope with air fresheners or room perfumes at all.

rowanflower0 Mon 12-Oct-20 12:19:21

I love vanilla candles, and at thus time of the year - Winter Spice.

Phloembundle Mon 12-Oct-20 11:42:21

Don't do candles, am asthmatic.

Esspee Mon 12-Oct-20 11:35:53

I am surprised at how many people still burn candles when most scented candles have paraffin in them. The paraffin, when burnt gives off carcinogenic gasses.
Just WHY would you choose to breathe in carcinogens? It’s beyond me.?

bmacca Mon 12-Oct-20 11:09:07

I’m a total convert to Scentsy now. Lovely warmers and some gorgeous wax scents. I also use their laundry products so my towels etc smell wonderful
scentsy.com/our-story

Joyfulnanna Mon 12-Oct-20 11:08:19

I always feel ill when burning candles. Maybe they take too much oxygen from my well insulated house? I like oil and Reed diffusers.