Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What’s the most useful thing you can do when asked to help on house moving day!

(33 Posts)
PECS Fri 16-Oct-20 10:13:54

I would imagine keeping DGS out of the way & provide food & drink! But ask your DS & DiL , in advance, exactly what you asked us! They may have made arrangements for DGS and wish to use you as a cleaner of cupboards & drawers....confused

midgey Fri 16-Oct-20 10:11:15

I don’t think you need to keep the little chap entertained, I think he needs to be removed from the area altogether! Is it possible to take him out for the day? It’s surprising how small a flat/house/mansion can be when people are moving boxes and furniture!

Grandmabatty Fri 16-Oct-20 10:09:39

Ask them what they would like you to do. If they have arranged for the wee one to be elsewhere for the day, then cleaning each room of the old house as it is emptied is helpful. Making tea and bringing sandwiches for lunch is also useful. If you are looking after your dgs, then do so at your house as the chaos could be very unsettling for him. Hope it goes well.

felice Fri 16-Oct-20 10:08:55

When I moved here from outside the city a dear friend made huge trays of sandwiches, some homemade cakes and flasks of coffee. DD had gone to the supermarket and got stuff I like, non-essentials.
I kept DGS, 10 months old happy, and stayed out of the way. It went well but probably easier then as we could have as many people round as we wanted.

wildswan16 Fri 16-Oct-20 10:05:51

I think you are absolutely right - make DGS your responsibility. His mum and dad will know what needs to be done, what goes where etc etc. Knowing one little boy isn't getting packed into a crate by accident will be much appreciated.

Probably some tea making duties will also be welcomed.

dragonfly46 Fri 16-Oct-20 10:04:30

I would just ask your DS what they would like you to do. I suspect keeping the little one entertained would be a priority and keeping out of everyone's way!
Very exciting for you all!

Teetime Fri 16-Oct-20 10:04:22

I looked after the baby and made tea- it was much appreciated.

Kate54 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:56:44

I am disproportionately excited to be asked to help DS,DIL and DGS (16 mnths) move house next week. Luckily, they are moving from a small flat in an area about to go into Tier 2, to their first house in a much quieter Tier 1 area so at the moment we will still be able to help.
I am awaiting instructions and trying to resist giving advice unless asked so wonder if any GNers have any tips about how to be most useful on the day? It may just be a case of keeping DGS entertained (and out of the way!) which is fine by me.