Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do your grandchildren call you?

(197 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 17-Oct-20 15:05:51

My grandmothers, in an industrial Lancashire town, were Nanna on my mother's side and Grandma on my father's.

I don't have grandchildren (does that make me a fraud here?) as my daughter, now 40, has shown no maternal tendencies. If I did I'm not sure what I'd want them to call me except that I really don't think I'd encourage 'Gran'. But that's just me.

GagaJo Sat 17-Oct-20 17:45:31

My grandmother's were granny. My mum was nanny. I wanted to be granny too, but darling grandson had different ideas. I'm Gaga. He's a sharp wee lad.

PinkCakes Sat 17-Oct-20 17:45:45

Mammar and Grandad

GagaJo Sat 17-Oct-20 17:46:27

Incorrect apostrophe placement!

dragonfly46 Sat 17-Oct-20 17:52:28

I love being a Granny!

Greta8 Sat 17-Oct-20 18:00:36

Granny and Grandad, as were my parents to my daughter. Lovely!!! I feel a very lucky Granny!

GrannySomerset Sat 17-Oct-20 18:02:56

DGD1 couldn’t manage Grandpa and he has been Barbar ever since. I am Granny as her other GPs were Hammy and Hampar owing to mispronunciation by one of the other grandchildren - DGD1 is number 7 grandchild on that side of the family. As others have said, we don’t really mind what they choose to call us as long as we have a happy relationship with them. Though DGD2 rather squashed me by saying “at least Granny is always cross about the same things”. This involved crayons and Playdoh if remember rightly!

Toyoungtobeadamnedgran Sat 17-Oct-20 18:18:04

I'm Grandma although GS is to young to speak and hubby Granddad

I was told by my DIL mum that she was nana so I couldn't be called that !!!!

I had a nana and she was the world to me ❤️

I think when GS speaks he will have a name for me, hopefully a nice one ?

grannysyb Sat 17-Oct-20 18:31:39

Both grandmothers are Granny, if the DGCs talk about us they add our first names, Granny S..... or Granny E...... My english grandmother was Granny and my german grandmother Omi, to distinguish her from her mother who was Oma.

Witzend Sat 17-Oct-20 18:33:39

We’re Granny and Grandpa. Before they could say those we were Nanny and Bapa - both the elder said exactly the same. Youngest is too young to say anything yet.
I always thought Grandma sounded older and fatter, and I’m old and fat enough anyway ? (fatter than I used to be, anyway).

rafichagran Sat 17-Oct-20 18:41:55

I am Gran, it sounds lovely from my very Northern Grandson. I live in Greater London, so the accent with which it is said sounds beautiful to me.

Anniebach Sat 17-Oct-20 18:45:13

Grandson - Gran, elder granddaughter - Granny,
younger granddaughter - Bro,

Jaxjacky Sat 17-Oct-20 18:59:05

Grandma and Grandad, my Dad to all the GC’s was Pampa

MamaCaz Sat 17-Oct-20 19:07:15

I called my grandparents Nana and Grandad, but hated using Nana from about nine years of age, as I thought it sounded babyish.

My own children called theirs Grandma and Grandad, and that's what one set of dgc call us, but the other, now 2.5, had gone from calling me Ganma to calling me 'Baba', which is what she calls her Russian grandma. I quite like it but hope her other grandma doesn't mind sharing the name with me!

sparklingsilver28 Sat 17-Oct-20 19:10:28

Calendergirl Granny my take.

My friends children call her Baa Baa because the eldest was unable to say Granma.

Gingster Sat 17-Oct-20 19:18:51

I’m Nanna and DH is Gaga

Grandmabatty Sat 17-Oct-20 19:19:28

He doesn't call me anything yet as he's only 20 months old. However he shouts for me when the car draws up outside my house and he shouts when I go to his house. You can hear him miles away! I'm grandma at the moment although happy to be called whatever he wants to call me once he can verbalise more.

bumblebee34 Sat 17-Oct-20 19:20:17

I am Nonna to my just 3 year old grandson and Nan to the two that are young adults.

larry5 Sat 17-Oct-20 19:23:14

I wanted to be called Granny as both my mother and my maternal grandmother were called Granny but my dgs called me Banny as he couldn’t say the gr but although he now can he hasn’t changed my name. My husband was going to be Grandpa but has ended up as Papa which is what my grandfather was called.

Dgs also has a Grandad but his other grandmother who was Nana died when he was 3 months old.

Thoro Sat 17-Oct-20 19:34:59

I’m called Lally as my Gs couldn’t pronounce granny and it’s stuck.
Many years ago I had to call my grandmother ‘Maman’ and I hated it because all my friends had grans or nans.

PECS Sat 17-Oct-20 19:42:09

I am Nana like my mother was to my DDs & her mum was to me. I am happy with that & pleased it has not (yet) been shortened to Nan.

Sark Sat 17-Oct-20 21:00:52

We are Grandma and Grandad and my Mum is 'Grandma who brings cake!'grin

Lyndylou Sat 17-Oct-20 22:12:15

I'm Nana to my DGS (now 12) and Nana Lynda to my partner's grandchildren. It's looking like I'm going to be Nana Lynda again to my latest DGS (just 4 weeks old) which is fine with me.

Kryptonite Sun 18-Oct-20 09:38:02

DanniRae congratulations! That's wonderful news. Gives me hope for my two daughters!

Yellowmellow Sun 18-Oct-20 09:45:33

I personally don't like Grandma or granny. I think it very ageing. I'm Nannie to younger grandchildren or Nan to the older grandchildren plus my name. Different strokes for different folks

foxyrunning Sun 18-Oct-20 09:45:35

Nonna. There are no Italians in the family - I just liked it!