Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange : is this a lockdown thing?

(80 Posts)
BBbevan Wed 21-Oct-20 15:37:19

I am nearly 76 and have been happily married for 55 years
Over the last few weeks I seem to be writing a book in my head. I have sorted the plot, the people, their history etc. I did not start out to do this, but now I just love to sit quietly and add to the story. I know the beginning and the end and now much of the middle. A lovely romance. I doubt I will ever write it down. Why did it start and how?

hollysteers Tue 22-Dec-20 20:25:37

If it is all consuming, you think of your characters day and night, no cleaning or food preparation, it does not sound like a hobby. That is exactly the description a professional writer would use about the process of writing. Therefore I think you are duty bound to honour it as it sounds like a real gift.

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Dec-20 20:11:35

Sorry - I posted too soon, I meant to say which is often part of fictional character building.

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Dec-20 20:09:19

Hello again BB
I'm so glad that you are making headway with your book.
As I said before, it does sound like maladaptive daydreaming.

BBbevan Tue 22-Dec-20 19:55:10

I’v written 70 pages so far, but it is all consuming,
. I think of my characters all day and often night too. No cleaning and very little food preparation. Is this normal.? Can any of you ladies that write tell me.?

BBbevan Sun 08-Nov-20 15:01:13

I think I’m in love with my hero ❤️

Msida Sun 08-Nov-20 14:45:53

Strange it is that's for sure

Out we go, then no wait quick shut the door

No cuddles or kisses from the ones we love
Due to instructions from those above

But let's all take heart it will soon pass
And we can all then finally raise a glass

BBbevan Wed 28-Oct-20 11:21:01

NotTooOld. Worked out a lovely bit last night. I was in tears by the end, Had to get up early and write it down

BBbevan Wed 28-Oct-20 10:31:09

Well I shan’t worry about that for a while EllanV Need to master Word on the computer next. DH has resurrected the old one for me

EllanVannin Tue 27-Oct-20 15:59:11

The hardest part is getting it published.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 13:49:01

Oh go for it!

BBbevan Tue 27-Oct-20 13:42:53

Exactly NotTooOld I have made loads of notes. Verified dates etc. I have the bare bones of the beginning, middle and end and am constantly thinking, adding bits, removing bits. I shall probably write it freehand as DH hogs the computer with word on it. Heaps of good luck with yours .

NotTooOld Tue 27-Oct-20 11:57:13

Good luck, BBevan! I've just come up with a plot myself and yesterday I started typing. It's good therapy and something to take your mind off covid. When you wake up in the night worrying about life in general you can distract yourself by planning the next chapter. Works for me!

Kseniya Tue 27-Oct-20 10:43:09

when we lack variety and emotions, we create them ourselves in lockdown mode, I think. on standart days we would go somewhere , enjoy possibly new places, but now we are forced to create emotions in a closed space. it is so amazing that you don't close in yourself but recreate something!

Omits01 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:10:37

You need a theme. I think mine started after reading loads of Sci-Fi and seeing a theme not covered. I have now written 300,000 words and love adding bits. Novice so learning all the time.

Jane10 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:49:17

Alexander McCall Smith said that it's true that everyone has a book in them and with modern MRI scanners it's now possible to see exactly what sort of book it is! grin
AMcCS - now there's a writer!

Sarnia Fri 23-Oct-20 08:31:40

It is said everyone has a book in them. Write it all down and see what you think when you have finished. If it's any good try sending it to a publisher. Good luck.

Tangerine Thu 22-Oct-20 23:14:01

I also think you should try and write a book. What's the worst that can happen? Good luck.

Lorelei Thu 22-Oct-20 22:34:35

Go for it - write your book - if it is a romantic tale you could always give it the title 'Lockdown Love' lol

Jane10 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:39:12

Get the Writers and Authors Yearbook for up to date info on the extremely complex world of writing and publication.

Zahorodnyj0909 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:02:02

b1zzle, how do you get a novel published? I'm part way through my story and wonder how to find a good publisher. Thanks.

Phoebes Thu 22-Oct-20 18:38:05

I have written two (unpublished as yet,) children’s books. They more or less wrote themselves. I just sat down with a pen and notebook and the words just came into my head. It was very strange! I must dig them out and have another try at getting them published

minxie Thu 22-Oct-20 17:39:31

I’ve always had stories going round in my head. My grammar and putting it together is always my downfall. I’ve had two poems published though. So give it a try for your own please if nothing else

Sadgrandma Thu 22-Oct-20 16:55:30

I constantly have stories in my head and, like a previous poster, I tell myself a story before I go to sleep. I thought I was a bit strange so glad to know I'm not. I have tried writing them down but they never flow as well as they do in my head. Must try harder!

JackyB Thu 22-Oct-20 16:37:28

I think it's a brilliant brain exercise. I'm not sure my memory could store an entire book with all its characters and plots. So well done you! Having said that, I agree with everyone that you should write it down.

Once you start writing, you'll feel great, I'll bet.

queenofsaanich69 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:30:14

Write it down,imagine being a famous successful author at 76,what fun,or just add that to the story !