Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lasting Power of Attorney

(30 Posts)
Lavazza1st Thu 22-Oct-20 20:46:43

@Chewbacca I know because I remember my husband doing it for his parents. I was there and my relative was also there as a witness, that's the crazy thing! I mentioned all of the siblings signing and them signing to witness it and they did not seem to remember sad

Lavazza1st Thu 22-Oct-20 20:42:56

I'm actually baffled. They said they had written a cheque to the government for £82 naming me and other siblings as POA.

I don't especially relish the thought of being POA, (I know what it entails as my DH is one for his parents) but if asked I would probably agree if there were others as well.

I just don't know how to proceed, but know something isn't right.

Chewbacca Thu 22-Oct-20 20:36:35

Lavazza there are pages and pages of forms to be completed, signed by all parties, witnessed by an independent person and then sent off with payment before any POA is completed. If you've not signed anything, you do it have POA. Sounds as though your relative is confused perhaps.

Nonogran Thu 22-Oct-20 20:32:24

There's a lot more to it than that. You have to agree for a start. It's quite a responsibility which you might not want. Sounds a bit suspect so dig a bit deeper. Could it be a scam ...sending off a cheque?? To whom?

Lavazza1st Thu 22-Oct-20 20:11:05

A elderly relative phoned me at work to say that I am now responsible for them since I am their POA.

I said I have not signed anything. I would be willing to do it with other siblings, but it needs to be done legally or it isn't legal.

They are insisting that they wrote a cheque and sent it off legally naming me as one of their representatives.

I'm a bit puzzled by this behaviour and unsure how to proceed. Can anyone give me some advice please?