Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hedgehogs!

(12 Posts)
Rufus2 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:14:20

Is this the right place for the following?
Arrived yesterday, courtesy of The Oldie mag.

A father's favourite joke; the one where the hedgehog clambers off the hairbrush muttering "We all make mistakes"
grin
OoRoo

MayBee70 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:39:44

A lot of catalogues sell them, too. And they’re not really sturdy enough to stop badgers from getting to the hedgehogs either.

Callistemon Mon 02-Nov-20 10:16:13

There was a message on FB to beware of that type which someone said were on sale in Aldi. Other retailers may stock them too
Hedgehogs can get trapped in them and die.

MayBee70 Sun 01-Nov-20 23:51:54

I’ve read that some igloo type hedgehog houses can be dangerous. If they’re loosely oven the hedgehogs bristles can catch on them and hit will be trapped inside.

agnurse Sun 01-Nov-20 23:35:54

You can be thankful they are hedgies and not porcupines. We have porcupines here in Canada. Their quills are loosely attached. Typically, if a dog gets too close to a porcupine, it requires some time with pliers to get the quills out. That's how well they stick in. (My father is a licensed veterinarian and has had to pull quills out of a few dogs.)

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 19:59:43

You're very lucky, but if it worries you, please contact a local hedgehog rescue centre who will re-home them.

Hetty58 Sun 01-Nov-20 19:11:30

I have special little (5" pipe) tunnels for them under the fences!

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 01-Nov-20 19:00:03

We have just been gifted a Hedgehog house for their Winter hibernation, they need our help, I think that they can cope with your dog.

Hetty58 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:15:49

I don't think that they need rescuing. You just happen to live in their territory!

They are very good climbers, I've found. Would it be easier to take the dog out on her lead, in the garden, after dark?

I have to do that early in the mornings, to save waking up the neighbours before 7am.

diygran Sun 01-Nov-20 17:14:59

Be glad your dog wants to be a friend to hedgehogs. We had adult one in back garden. Spaniel spied it but hedgehog rolled into ball, as they do.
Our back area is all fenced in to keep dogs in and we are also puzzled how the hedgehogs get in.
Opened the back door last week and a young hog was searching the earth I had weeded earlier for dinner. We kept dogs in till it had gone.

All we can do is always keep an eye on dogs. We used to have a rescue Jack Russell who got to hedgehog, put his nose under it and tipped it over. Husband rescued it. Dog had lived on a farm and knew all about hedgehogs sadly.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Nov-20 17:07:25

There is obviously a family of them somewhere. There are rescue centres that you can get in touch with, Mrs Tiggywinkles rescue centres take hedgehogs and other wild animals. If there is such a place near you it might be worth giving them a ring.

travelnan Sun 01-Nov-20 16:55:18

Please can anyone help. My garden seems to be the Macdonalds for the local hedgehog population! You may think how lucky I am all those slugs and snails being demolished BUT we have a dog who seems to think they are her friends. We usually let her out last thing for a wee but over the last three weeks we have had to go out in the garden to rescue said hedgehog, take it back out to the lane at the back of our garden (usually in PJ's and dressing gown and put the dog in the sink to wash her face! We live in a rural area and have brick walls and very high fences surrounding the garden. Have no idea how they get into garden unless they climb the wall and fences. This is not the same hedgehog they are all different sizes. Any ideas anyone?