Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Our lovely leased car has been hit by a speeding motorist do we inform the lease company

(11 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Mon 02-Nov-20 07:43:43

Unfortunately we can only park our car on the main road and after 40 yrs we’ve had a car scrape by knocking the wing mirror off and scraping the side of our car. It’s a leased car my DH had informed the police and the insurance company he only thought about the leased company a day after do they need to know what will they do about it. I’m very disappointed in the lack of consideration the other driver had as h/s didn’t stop only left behind their own wing mirror cover hope the b err culprit is found it’s going to cost us a fortune even with insurance.angry

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 07:48:32

What does the small print say?

kittylester Mon 02-Nov-20 07:51:23

What type of lease is it?

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:25:43

Of course you have to inform them. Why wouldn't you? It may be suspiciously late though as it happened almost a week ago.

Elegran Mon 02-Nov-20 08:44:23

The week's delay should be OK, as the police and insurance have been informed, but yes, you do need to inform them. I believe it still legally belongs to the leasing company, so they have to know what happens to it.

J52 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:02:22

Sorry this has happened to you.

When this happened in similar circumstances to a friends car. They had to inform the leasing company, as it is owned by them. The leasing company insisted that they went to a nominated garage for the repair.

Teetime Mon 02-Nov-20 09:10:34

Yes you do have to report it.

Davidhs Mon 02-Nov-20 09:27:50

Details will be in the lease agreement, if you make an insurance claim the owner of the car ( leasing company) will be informed and work done to their specification. Beware repairing minor damage and paying yourself, at the end of the lease if it gets found it may cost a great deal!.

M0nica Mon 02-Nov-20 09:54:35

Yes.

Elizabeth1 Mon 09-Nov-20 15:46:25

That’s it finished now all the paperwork has been carried out without too much trouble and we’ve got a beautiful replacement car until ours has been repaired. It’s a hybrid and my dh though the couldn’t lock the door - on making enquiries he was told because it was a hybrid he wouldn’t hear the engine turning over - my dh said the engine was as quiet as a mouse until he reved the engine. These fancy cars what do we know - not very much by the sound of things every day’s a school day wink

welbeck Mon 09-Nov-20 17:58:56

glad you got it sorted out.
sorry that your insurance will shoot up.
c'est la vie. at least no personal injury.