Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

cooking with DGC

(4 Posts)
Dottygran59 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:38:10

Hello fellow Grans - just been reading a thread on soup maker recipes, and thought it would be great way to keep the DGC entertained next time they visit, and we can eat the results.

I thought I would also like to progress to simple cookery lessons while teaching them about the major food groups - protein, simple carbs, complex carbs.....you know all the stuff we were taught in domestic science in the 70s

Have any of you done this? How did you approach it? They are 7 and 9

Thanks

GrannyRose15 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:02:28

Don't make it too schooly for them. Just enjoy it. Bake flapjacks and muffins which they'll love as a treat. They can make their own pizza base and choose what toppings to put on it. Making bread is another good idea though this needs patience while it rises. I have always baked with my DC and my DGC. We make a great big mess but have alot of fun.

Deedaa Wed 04-Nov-20 20:57:11

My 7 year old grandson loves all sorts of baking. Cakes, tarts, biscuits and pizzas.

Marydoll Wed 04-Nov-20 21:29:47

I bake with my four year old, she loves it. We work on developing language and maths skills, without it seeming like a school lesson. eg, counting, weighing, predicting what comes next, what I've forgotten to put in etc. Children learn so much more when they are having fun.
My granddaughter has her own set of mini utensils.
As teacher, I would suggest going easy on the heavy stuff, like complex carbs
Just enjoy the time with them. There will be a lot of incidental learning without you even realising.
I would however, ask them to tidy up and do the washing up. Another life lesson.