Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wearing a face mask on deli counter

(25 Posts)
Grannybags Thu 05-Nov-20 12:57:47

My local Sainsbury's closed their fish, meat and deli counters back in March and they are still closed.

I assumed that would be the same in all supermarkets

Lavazza1st Thu 05-Nov-20 12:53:50

I heard on the news today that deli counters and fresh foods counters will be shut, so that will solve the hygiene issue- but maybe there will be job losses, which isn't so good.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 05-Nov-20 09:20:12

I dont think I would buy anything. Pre Covid I suppose we never really thought about it,although in future maybe we will. Years ago I saw a supermarket assistant filling up a freezer whilst occasionally blowing her nose and sneezing. She had a very nasty cold.

GrannyLaine Thu 05-Nov-20 09:03:17

Interesting question. When and if Covid ever goes away, will you still expect those same assistants to wear masks to protect you from other infections spread by droplet transmission?

bikergran Thu 05-Nov-20 08:16:46

I work in a well known supermarket , I have! to wear a mask, even though I am behind a perspex screen on my checkout, we are allowed to wear visors but still have to wear a mask with the visor.

Oldwoman70 Thu 05-Nov-20 08:01:50

The person serving on the hot food counter at my local Sainsbury doesn't wear a face mask either - I thought all supermarket staff had to wear face masks. If she has a medical condition which means she is exempt then surely she should not be working where she is handling and serving uncovered food.

maddyone Thu 05-Nov-20 00:54:31

I wouldn’t buy from a deli where the assistant wasn’t wearing a mask. I think all shop assistants should wear them, and not under their nose.

I absolutely think teachers should be able to wear a mask.

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 22:58:51

Here is the type of mask that is disability friendly. www.etsy.com/uk/listing/839224329/face-coverings-mask-with-clear-window?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=deaf&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&frs=1&bes=1&col=1

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 22:57:33

You can get special masks that are "deaf friendly" as they have a clear bit over the mouth. Teachers could also wear visors. There isnt a good excuse to put yourself in danger, if you are a teacher. Teaching unions should be protecting these teachers.

Schools are rife with covid. Teachers need to put themselves first. Supermarket staff should be wearing a mask. Everyone should be wearing a mask unless they have a medical exemption ( and then they should be wearing proof of their medical exemption on a lanyard)

Alexa Wed 04-Nov-20 22:15:57

I think we dice with death every time we buy from most supermarkets. People with unwashed hands handling food packages. I have seen an assistant mopping up spilled food in a chiller with a small dry blue paper cloth. I objected to her face but she was unconcerned.

Grannmarie Wed 04-Nov-20 19:25:38

Teachers in Scotland are advised to wear masks.
Also, pupils in S4, S5 and S6 now have to wear masks in the classrooms as well as corridors, communal areas etc because research indicates that 15/18 yr olds spread the virus like adults.

FarNorth Wed 04-Nov-20 19:09:54

Even if a teacher is always 2m from any pupil, aerosol from everyone's breathing will be circulating in the room unless it is well ventilated.

aquagran Wed 04-Nov-20 18:57:18

If they don’t wear a mask, don’t go there! Surely we don’t have to analyse every transgression, just use your common sense!

bikergran Wed 04-Nov-20 18:54:53

Deff would not be buying anything! from that Deli.

Any droplets( sorry bit gross) could drop onto food.

I have stopped going to local deli the girls/ladies wear the shields but no mask so any droplets could still find there way onto the food.

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 19:56:57

I was amazed that teachers were told not to wear masks.the theory is that the classroom (In one of my local schools) is arranged so the teacher is 2m away? Hmmm.not sure I quite believe that ! And yet in another local school masks were compulsory for teachers..

Sparklefizz Tue 03-Nov-20 19:40:01

I agree, I would not be purchasing anything in that deli.

And it's my view that teachers should be allowed to wear masks.

Charleygirl5 Tue 03-Nov-20 19:22:57

Fannycornforth I appreciate some children may need to lip read but these are not normal times and if you contract Covid I can assume you will be in a worse state than one of the children in your class. I think for the foreseeable future, this has to be taken into consideration- I am with you.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 19:15:46

I think it's ridiculous, but typical of the kind disjointed "rules".
Face masks were banned in my grandsons school up until a couple of weeks ago.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 19:12:09

I'm going to put the cat amongst the chickens here...
How do you feel about teachers not being allowed to wear face masks?
I'm not goading (promise! smile)- but I am interested.
Thank you

welbeck Tue 03-Nov-20 16:43:35

i would shop elsewhere.
on sunday i waited to be served by the checkout asst who was wearing his mask correctly.
the others either had them under nose or chin or not at all.

felice Tue 03-Nov-20 15:57:37

DD works on a deli counter and changes her mask every two hours. She says between the temperature of the deli fridges and the rest of the shop they feel uncomfortable after a while.
Law here anyway and her employer offers unlimited masks.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 14:16:26

I wouldn't buy off the deli in that case.
I'm not particularly over the top about the virus, but potentially all that food laid out in front of someone with the virus is a step too far, for me.

Esspee Tue 03-Nov-20 14:11:27

I agree, I would not be purchasing anything in that deli.
I thought masks in food shops we’re compulsory.

lemsip Tue 03-Nov-20 14:08:50

I shopped in my Iceland store yesterday and wasn't happy that the checkout lady had a mask over her mouth and not her nose! When I got home I phoned the manager of the store to point this out. I can only hope she was told!

Local authorities will always clarify a situation if unclear.

jennyvg Tue 03-Nov-20 14:02:06

I have been into my local Morrison's store this morning and serving on the deli counter is a lady not wearing a mask, this is not the first time I have seen her and have in fact e-mailed Morrisons head office about it, have not received a reply, today I spoke to the store manager who told me that there is no legislation to suggest the wearing of face masks on the deli and as she is 2 metres away from the customers there is nothing wrong, I just don't feel happy with the fact that she is breathing over food which will be eaten uncooked, so didn't buy anything, just wondering how other ladies feel about this.