Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much to give for wedding gift to nephew who hasown homw and money for holidays

(14 Posts)
mariella22 Sun 08-Nov-20 18:28:22

What do you think

Iam64 Sun 08-Nov-20 18:32:02

hard to say without knowing your nephew or the relationship between you.
Has he done a wedding gift list. Most young people do these days - or they do a poem asking for a contribution to their wonderful honeymoon.

phoenix Sun 08-Nov-20 18:33:05

mariella, I think you're asking regarding a nephew who has his own home and enough money for holidays?

Have he and his bride to be set up a list somewhere?

B9exchange Sun 08-Nov-20 18:33:21

I wouldn't give money at all, unless it is a Jewish wedding where that seems to be expected. How much you spend depends entirely on how much you can afford. Is money all they have asked for?

Maggiemaybe Sun 08-Nov-20 18:38:22

It all depends on your financial circumstances of course, but I don’t really see why his should come into it? I’d give exactly the same to each niece or nephew, homeowner or not.

Doodledog Sun 08-Nov-20 18:38:56

Why does it matter that he has his own home and money for holidays? If you are close to him and can afford a gift, then why not buy him one?

Wedding presents aren't charitable donations to poor relatives, they are expressions of love from friends and family, and how much you spend is up to you.

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 18:44:02

Doodledog

Why does it matter that he has his own home and money for holidays? If you are close to him and can afford a gift, then why not buy him one?

Wedding presents aren't charitable donations to poor relatives, they are expressions of love from friends and family, and how much you spend is up to you.

I agree.

It matters not at all what he has, it is a wedding gift.

mariella22 Sun 08-Nov-20 18:47:44

They are having a reduced wedding with covid rules. Only 20 guests including celebrant and photographer 4 bridesmaids , 4 groomsmen and mothers and fathers . We are not invited but giving gift anyway as my two grown up children received money gifts

mariella22 Sun 08-Nov-20 18:51:09

Yes I will to give a generous cheque to honour their marriage . Although long ago the gifts were to help set up a young couple in their first home ofcourse.
Thank you for your replies ..smile

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 18:52:56

We usually give £100 and I don't think it has any relevance how wealthy the recipient is. It's more important to give only what you can easily afford.

Blossoming Sun 08-Nov-20 18:56:26

I don’t know your circumstances, my husband and I have given £200 as a wedding gift to nieces and nephews in recent years. We can afford it, we have no children and they are very dear to us. I think £50 is still a decent gift if that’s what you can afford.

Mamardoit Sun 08-Nov-20 21:01:09

We give £100 for a wedding gift to nieces nephews and god children. We stop birthday and Christmas gifts at 18. The only exception is we gift something £20-£25 on the birth of their children. That is a one off. We wish them all well of course but no more gifts.

We have 6 DC of our own and several DGC now so we have to set a limit.

annsixty Sun 08-Nov-20 21:15:48

It is many years since we had a wedding in the family but I have to say we have never been as generous as some of you on here.
I have no nephews and nieces of my own and we were not particularly close to my H’s family so that we often didn’t know they were married.

tidyskatemum Sun 08-Nov-20 21:23:15

It’s entirely up to you - what you can afford and how much you want to give. Personally I’ve never forgiven my well-off SIL for buying us a Eubank carpet sweeper for our wedding 40 years ago! But then her husband did buy her a hostess trolley for ChriSomas that same year.....