Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any experienced sewing people looking in?

(15 Posts)
Shandy57 Thu 19-Nov-20 14:05:00

I'm pleased to say my aunt has agreed to use needlecord, which I've ordered on line. I couldn't find a pattern in the style she wants in the UK - it's more of a jerkin - so have ordered one from the US. Fingers crossed it arrives in time!

Shandy57 Wed 11-Nov-20 21:50:57

I've now discovered waistcoats on vintage patterns are called 'vests' - and I've missed the McCall's one I think she would have liked. Hopefully someone will be having a clear out and selling it soon!

Shandy57 Wed 11-Nov-20 13:40:34

I've just phoned her and she bought this wool on a coach trip to Dublin years ago, has only just found it! She said she likes the feeling of it on her back and just wants to make a simple front for it so it will stay on, she was just going to 'make it up' and is hand sewing it, so I'm now on a 'pattern' and 'fabric' hunt.

She was also happy to consider corduroy, which won't fray as much, thank you very much for the suggestion. I wish she'd chosen something from Argos as I suggested!

Blossoming Tue 10-Nov-20 22:18:07

I wonder if she’s thinking of the buff moleskin waistcoats so beloved of country lifestyle magazines and county show officials? Moleskin is a soft brushed cotton.

threexnanny Tue 10-Nov-20 20:56:17

A knitted furry back is unusual. That is usually at the front with a plain back. I agree with the needlecord / babycord if you can get the right colour.

Shandy57 Tue 10-Nov-20 20:44:11

Thank you for all your input. My aunt is 83 and I'd asked her what she wants for Christmas and she said some beige velvet and two buttons - feels like a horrible test of my initiative!

I'm going to ask her some more questions tomorrow, she only said the wool is 'like a teddy bear' which doesn't give me many clues!

Thank you.

jacq10 Tue 10-Nov-20 20:29:07

Agree with MrsThreadgoode. I made a dark blue waistcoat for friend's son (4yr old) in a fine needlecord velvet (cordoroy?) and lined it with a silky material for a wedding and it worked very well.

Blossoming Tue 10-Nov-20 19:29:34

Oops sorry! I meant B9exchange’s link!

Blossoming Tue 10-Nov-20 19:27:48

That’s furnishing velvet MrsThreadgoode. Way too heavy for clothing.

Blossoming Tue 10-Nov-20 19:25:04

A knitted back doesn’t sound very suitable for a velvet waistcoat, tbh. It will go out of shape quite quickly.

MrsThreadgoode Tue 10-Nov-20 19:20:57

As sewing Velvet is such a pain, a narrow corduroy fabric might be better?

Fennel Tue 10-Nov-20 18:05:23

I once made a waistcoat for my (ex) husband out of gold-coloured cotton velour. I think it was like velvet but with a shorter pile.
I made the back out of good quality satin lining.
i must have been mad!

B9exchange Tue 10-Nov-20 17:53:17

I wouldn't go with a stretch one for a waistcoat, cotton velvet would probably be best, perhaps something like this?

www.myfabrics.co.uk/cotton-velvet.html

MrsThreadgoode Tue 10-Nov-20 17:52:50

Does she need it to be washable?

Is the knitted back heavy or light weight.

Does she prefer cotton or would a mix be ok?

Shandy57 Tue 10-Nov-20 17:39:38

Hello, my aunt has knitted the back of a 'waistcoat' and asked if I could get her some velvet and buttons so she can attach a waistcoat type front to it.

Does anyone know what type of velvet to use? There's a lot of choice out there! Thank you.