Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Making up a Food Hamper.

(37 Posts)
Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 15:44:59

I felt like Margo from The Good Life when my parcel was delivered.
?

Were Barbara and Tom next door telling you that you could have grown them all yourself with a little effort?

Kate1949 Sat 14-Nov-20 15:40:59

My DH, who is a good cook, has asked for 'foodie' items that he's never tried. He asked for some saffron, a good balsamic vinegar, nice relish etc. I had no idea where to look so asked Google. It came up with Fortnun & Mason shock
Although I'm an Aldi & Tesco girl, I took a look. They have some 'different' stuff. I got the things he wanted at surprisingly reasonable prices. They charge a bit more for delivery but it wasn't too bad. I felt like Margo from The Good Life when my parcel was delivered.

Daddima Sat 14-Nov-20 15:31:51

I’ve just remembered the Great British Charcuterie at Brighton Marina, where I always bought crackers when I visited. I’m delighted to see they do mail order!

Daddima Sat 14-Nov-20 15:27:31

Gransey

I have used The Spicery, an online store based in Bristol. Their spices are very fresh and they have a huge selection. They also do kits and books with several blends that can be used to make many different dishes. I have The curry legend kit myself.

I love my curry legend! My brother sent me it, and I’ve already ordered refills of the blends.
I also like The Sauce Shop’s homemade ketchups, mind you, I see they have brought out a Brussels Sprout Ketchup and a Spiced Cranberry Ketchup for Christmas.

Nannytopsy Sat 14-Nov-20 15:19:49

Sous chef fig and walnut jam for cheese is my favourite!

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Nov-20 15:04:46

Sous Chef has some fabulous products.
I think they are carefully purchased as the owner is a chef.
The customer service there is second to none.
One of my favourite online shops.

Gransey Sat 14-Nov-20 13:44:27

I have used The Spicery, an online store based in Bristol. Their spices are very fresh and they have a huge selection. They also do kits and books with several blends that can be used to make many different dishes. I have The curry legend kit myself.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 12:39:47

www.piccantino.co.uk/spices/spices-1

Or you could cheat and buy one ready made up!

Blossoming Sat 14-Nov-20 12:22:02

Chilli oil, sundried tomatoes and peppers, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves.

NotAGran55 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:21:55

This is a big favourite of my spice loving son . There are various makes in Waitrose.

www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/uni-eagle-sriracha-hot-chilli-sauce/621464-723868-723869

GrandmasueUK Sat 14-Nov-20 12:20:01

I use a site called Sous Chef for unusual herbs and spices. I’ve bought and used some things I’ve never heard of and didn’t even know I wanted!

MiniMoon Sat 14-Nov-20 12:13:34

I have been asked to make up a food hamper as a Christmas gift.
Specifically sauces, spices and store cupboard jars of things that my DD has never eaten.
She uses spices from around the world so this is proving difficult.
Can any of you give me any ideas please.