Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mad itching at night!

(21 Posts)
petra Sun 22-Nov-20 13:03:15

CrazyH
Have you thought that every time you shower you are washing away your skins natural oils and bacteria?
The skin is an organ that's there to protect us with the oils and bacteria. Every time we wash/shower/bath we are washing those defences away so the skin has to work at producing those things that defend us. And as we know, our skin gets thinner as we age. Give it a chance, please ?

Namsnanny Sun 22-Nov-20 13:00:08

I'm the same FannyC
I have no heat in the bedroom, so as not to aggravate my legs and feet.
Routine is: sea salt solution rubbed on scalp and other itchy places before bed.
Anti histamine.
Steroid cream on worst areas.
Legs out of sheets.
Fan blowing cool air on them (even now its colder)
Hypo duvet over the rest of me.
Hypo pillows with cotton cases.

I think it's worse in the winter funnily enough.

I've always had allergies but never eczema, since the menopause things have deteriorated even more.

Patsy70 Sun 22-Nov-20 12:47:20

I no longer use bio detergent and fabric conditioner, but still I itch. I will consider replacing our duck feather duvet with a hypoallergenic one, Bathsheba. Anything is worth a try.

Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 12:22:14

Try switching to a non-bio washing powder/liquid and stop using fabric conditioner. My biggest problem area is my back which is so annoying, because you can bet the itch is always in an unreachable area angry

Another thing you might want to consider is swapping your duvet for a hypoallergenic one, particularly if you currently use duck or goose feather. It made a huge difference when I did this.

Nonogran Sun 22-Nov-20 11:36:36

Good morning all,
I stopped using an electric blanket because it dried my skin too much. Itchy legs at night used to drive me mad.
I have always moisturised all over, every single day and if I think I need it when it's very cold, use a hot water bottle. Works for me.

Patsy70 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:30:23

I’ve had itchiness for many years, but not related to menopause as I’m 73. hmm. It is particularly inside my ears and in other parts, which could be Lichen Sclerosus, as suggested by Sharon. I did see my GP a while ago, who prescribed a steroid cream and recommended non perfumed moisturisers, but there was little improvement improvement.

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 00:59:39

Thank you everyone.
My scalp has started itching now!
I hope that it's psychological!
I'll take a couple of antihistamines just in case ...

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 23:45:00

crazyH

Thanks Sharon - I did see the GP last year and she said it was dry skin due to age - all she suggested was moisturiser (Diprobase).

That's good. smile

MiniMoon Sat 21-Nov-20 23:43:06

I too get itchy dry patches of skin, usually in my legs and wrists. I apply Aveeno liberty night and morning which helps.
It's annoying, but in my case I think it's a family thing as I've had dry skin my entire life.

crazyH Sat 21-Nov-20 23:37:26

Thanks Sharon - I did see the GP last year and she said it was dry skin due to age - all she suggested was moisturiser (Diprobase).

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 23:33:09

crazyH vaginal/anal itching at night could be Lichen Sclerosus. More so if you're post menopausal.
There's a thread or two in the heath forum.
It might not be but I would get your doctor to have a look.

crazyH Sat 21-Nov-20 23:15:46

I have the same problem but mostly down below.....
Cherrytree, I didn't realise a hot shower can cause itching - that's exactly what I do before bed ( so perhaps that's the cause)....the problem is I don't feel right if I haven't had a shower at night. I know my skin is quite dry so I moisturise well......who knows ...and I have to take an antihistamine ...

Cherrytree59 Sat 21-Nov-20 23:01:24

My night time itching (mostly legs) started with onset of the menopause.
Like you FannyC , I have in the past resorted to antihistamines for relief.

However, I have found Zero cream (prescription) slathered on before bed and again in the morning, (hot showers and winter central heating also causes itchy skin) seems to keep the itching under control.

vampirequeen Sat 21-Nov-20 22:48:57

Try Polytar shampoo if you have an itchy scalp. It's not cheap but it's so soothing.

NotTooOld Sat 21-Nov-20 22:45:54

Thanks, Sharon103.

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 22:38:12

Have a look on Google. I can't do links but I've copied this:
Menopause itching: Causes, types, home remedies, and ...www.medicalnewstoday.com › articles
26 Jul 2018 — Itchy skin is a common problem during menopause. People may notice itchiness on their body, face, or genitals. Hormonal changes during menopause can cause a range of skin complaints, including hot flashes, sweating, and itchiness. This is because of the vital role the hormone estrogen plays in skin health.

NotTooOld Sat 21-Nov-20 22:34:11

I get it too, particularly on my scalp. I sometimes have to take a couple of antihistamines to let me get to sleep. I've put it down to stress but who knows?

vampirequeen Sat 21-Nov-20 22:28:37

You have my sympathy. I sometimes wake up with blood on the sheets from scratching in my sleep. Sometimes the itching is so bad that I have to get up. I put ice packs on my feet and that seems to mask/stop the itching. Is your skin dry? It might be worth using a heavy duty gunky cream. I get it from the GP. Doesn't smell very pleasant but works a treat.

Toadinthehole Sat 21-Nov-20 12:24:11

It is one of the rarer symptoms of menopause, I get it from time to time. Could be any number of things. Soap, washing powder, allergies to certain materials, creams etc. Is it a new thing for you? I would speak to your doctor though.

Grandmabatty Sat 21-Nov-20 12:20:35

I have suffered from that from time to time so I sympathise. I believe itching can be a sign of kidney problems, although I'm not a medical person, so maybe ask advice from your doctor, particularly if you take lots of medication.

FannyCornforth Sat 21-Nov-20 10:34:42

It's driving me insane!envy
All over my body, my head, the soles of my feet, in my ears!

I took two antihistamines last night.
It must've stopped after a couple of hours as I fell asleep.
I can still feel it now though (even around my nostrilssad)

What is it?
Is it a menopause thing?
I'm pretty certain that it's not an allergy.