Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Will you go to family at Christmas?

(250 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Tue 24-Nov-20 20:35:44

My son has invited me and my ex for Boxing day.After being in the house since March I don't feel happy about meeting 6 other people indoors and probably getting a lift with one of them. Ex is not happy either but he always gives in.
Are you happy to mix households now before the virus has gone?

Gilltrew Sun 06-Dec-20 02:33:01

Will happily be seeing my children and grandchildren. I would have done this whatever I had been told to do.

Atqui Fri 27-Nov-20 17:43:27

Quote from gov website
“You can only use a childcare bubble for childcare – that is, where the child’s parent or regular carer is not present. You cannot use a childcare bubble to mix with another household for other reasons.”

GrandmaCinta Fri 27-Nov-20 15:43:22

I am staying put until vaccinated. I have six wonderful children, a little grand daughter and both my aged parents are still alive.I would like my family to be well and so I must wait.No good risking it and regretting it.I have a cousin younger than me DEAD from Covid.

Felix2007 Fri 27-Nov-20 09:51:04

We won't be having Christmas Day with either of our daughters, but will get together with each family separately, outdoors for a walk and to swap presents. It will be a quiet Christmas because usually we are 10 when we are all together in our house, but I am quite looking forward to it as my husband and I will celebrate with Christmas food and without all the chaos that usually goes on with present opening and catering etc! We will miss the grandchildren, but will have a Zoom meeting during the day, and will meet up for more walks during the holidays.

Ellianne Thu 26-Nov-20 09:26:03

Interestingly, in France they will be allowed to visit family to celebrate from December 15th onwards with the 9 pm curfew to be lifted on December 24th and 31st. They are supposed to wear masks at home when various households mix.
In the country of gastronomie NO restaurants or bars will be open until Jsnuary 20th.
I would prefer all those things to ours in order to reach my decision how to proceed.

Shropshirelass Thu 26-Nov-20 09:15:03

No, we will not be mixing households. DH is extremely vulnerable so we will carry on as we have been doing until we are vaccinated and it is safe to go out again. I do hope to be able to visit my very elderly Mum on Christmas morning but will have to see what the home decides to do. Not worth the risk, after all there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

harrigran Thu 26-Nov-20 08:59:26

You are right PollyDolly, we don't have to be shut in an enclosed space to prove we love each other.
My family are showing their love by staying away and protecting our precarious health.

PollyDolly Thu 26-Nov-20 07:05:41

My OH and I visit our AC and GC on either the 23rd or 24th December, none live far away so this is possible within one day.

Even before Covid we have all spent Christmas in our own homes giving each other a phone call at some point during the 25th.

It has long been my philosophy that these AC and their children are a family now and they totally agree and much prefer to be alone with their children on Christmas Day. Even when I lived alone I did not expect to spend the day with either of my AC. Before I retired I frequently worked over Christmas anyway and often swapped shifts with colleagues who had young children of their own.

My AC, who all work, agree and they love the idea, it works well for all of us. They each get to spend time as a family. Now we have Covid to contend with we shall follow the same plans keeping a social distance and following the rules.

We don't have to be in the same home all day long, stuffing ourselves with food and drinking our own body weight in alcohol to know that we love each other!

Kate51 Thu 26-Nov-20 02:09:49

Sadly wont be spending Christmas with the family. I am immunosuppressed and am not going to risk my health for one day. We have all agreed if QVC can do Christmas in July, we will do it whenever things are safer post vaccine. We will not post presents but keep them till we can all get together.
This way we wont miss Christmas, just postponing it for a few months.

Daddima Thu 26-Nov-20 01:14:55

And then, of course, there’s New Year.........

I suspect there’ll be lots of folk saying that if it’s okay to meet at Christmas, then what’s the difference?

MayBee70 Thu 26-Nov-20 00:29:09

MayBee70

lynx

Sadly no. We feel it's too soon and not worth it.

It’s caused a spike in Canada hasn’t it. Why is it countries in the Southern Hemisphere seem to learn from their Covid mistakes but in the north we seem to be in a Covid Groundhog Day?

Sorry, meant to reply to Hetty....

MayBee70 Thu 26-Nov-20 00:27:54

lynx

It’s caused a spike in Canada hasn’t it. Why is it countries in the Southern Hemisphere seem to learn from their Covid mistakes but in the north we seem to be in a Covid Groundhog Day?

lynx Thu 26-Nov-20 00:24:59

Hetty58 Wed 25-Nov-20 23:22:19

MayBee70, yes, but with Thanksgiving tomorrow, we may not see the full consequences soon enough for Christmas;

Incubation period - up to 14 days
(then, possibly, no symptoms)
Average time symptoms to intensive care - 10 days
Time from symptoms to death - 2 to 8 weeks

www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30195-X/fulltext

Hetty58 Wed 25-Nov-20 23:05:34

Candelle, lovely, sensible plans!

MayBee70 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:51:49

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in America after Thanksgiving where most people seem to be planning on behaving as if there isn’t a pandemic. If their infection rate shoots up surely we’ll have more sense than to still go ahead with families meeting up at Christmas and travelling all over the country.

earnshaw Wed 25-Nov-20 22:47:52

covid does not call a truce over christmas, its just another day to covid . we will be carrying on as we have done since march, my husband is classed as vulnerable so we will not risk him catching it and believe me its still out there, my daughter lives in westhoughton and a friend of hers has just died, early sixties, granted he had dodgy kidney but the covid killed him ,

Candelle Wed 25-Nov-20 22:47:11

Our family, complete with us old-fogey shielders, super-spreading children, medics and a few normal 'beans' are having our festivities in..... the summer.

We have agreed a barbie but it must have certain components - crackers, Brussels sprouts, figgy pudding and no Covid.

We may have a family masked, socially distanced walk if Boxing Day cooperates with clement weather.

Why risk lives (ours and later, potentially yours) for the sake of one day?

We have been shielding for months and we would be mad to undo all of that.

We will wait a little longer for a vaccine then re-enter society knowing that we will be safe and can't be responsible for hurting anyone else.

Hetty58 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:59:09

Of course, for those of you who are willing to take a risk, it's the very worst possible time, isn't it?

Imagine how many others might catch it - all within those five days! We all know the facts. Coronavirus is highly infectious in enclosed environments, before somebody has any symptoms.

There's no way to socially distance or wear a mask around a dinner table. We share the air we breathe.

Assuming there's a surge in cases after Christmas (as seems likely) the NHS may not cope.

There's only one reason for the government 'advice'. They don't want to make rules that can't be enforced, that many people ignore - as they would.

Hellogirl1 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:39:11

My family usually all come here on Christmas morning for the exchange of presents, but not sure how we`ll work it this year. One adult child lives with me, the other 4 all have children, so like I say, not sure yet.

Grandma70s Wed 25-Nov-20 21:38:07

My sons and I have just arranged on the phone that we are all going to stay in our own homes, and FaceTime each other on Christmas Day. It will be a a bit strange, but I don’t think there is any point in taking unnecessary risks. We will try to meet in the spring if it is safe by then, at which point I won’t have seen my grandchildren for over a year.

Shandy57 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:35:18

MOnica - I just wonder if I've had it already because of my experience last summer, and see from the research that having it doesn't stop you contracting it again. I came back from the Edinburgh Fringe and was floored by an extremely sore throat, dreadful cough and was ill for weeks. I had to go to the doctor as I was so breathless after the slightest exertion, my oxygen measured at 94.

My son's girlfriend works in a care home and I wouldn't want to put either of them at risk.

Hetty58 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:19:15

I'm not happy at mixing with other households - not at this stage, when the end is in sight.

I'm quite willing to give up one Christmas celebration (just for once in my life) though. I'm a big girl and I'll cope.

Having been very careful since March, I'm not about to ruin everything now. Hopefully, I'll have the vaccination, get checked for antibodies - then meet up with family - perhaps even for Easter!

M0nica Wed 25-Nov-20 21:10:34

*Shandy57, why do you think you may be a carrier? Even if you gave your son the disease the chances of him having it badly let alone dying from it is infinitismally small. he is probably more likely to kill himself walking down the stairs for his morning cup of coffee.

Shandy57 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:03:01

My daughter is in Belfast so I definitely won't be seeing her. My son lives over an hour's drive away and has offered to come and stay in the garden - I've told him we'll have Christmas when we are vaccinated. I am very scared I might be a carrier, I'd never forgive myself.