Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas present for 7yo granddaughter - help

(24 Posts)
Davida1968 Wed 02-Dec-20 11:05:22

Oh yes, I'mStillGood! My GC loved the "Warrior Cats" book series.

Luckygirl Wed 02-Dec-20 10:55:27

I have bought mine a weaving loom.

Callistemon Wed 02-Dec-20 10:17:38

I bought some craft sets which were hand puppets children could sew themselves as DGD1 used to enjoy writing and putting on plays. She was a bit younger so was happy with those puppets but you might be able to find more sophisticated ones for a Strictly fan.

The 'stage' was the back of the sofa and the puppets would pop up from behind the sofa so we never saw the operator.

Other makes are available:
www.bakerross.co.uk/fairy-tale-hand-puppet-sewing-kits

harrigran Wed 02-Dec-20 09:49:04

When eldest GD was seven I bought her a puppet theatre, well it was a frame with curtains like a punch and judy show.
I also bought her a selection of glove puppets and she used to write and put on her own shows.
I was just thinking about this gift the other day because someone asked me about it on Amazon, told them it was great but children grow up very quickly so best enjoyed before they get their hands on a mobile.

dragonfly46 Wed 02-Dec-20 09:41:19

I have bought my DGD this although I am keeping it as I think she is a little young at 5.
happyselfjournal.com/

Greenfinch Wed 02-Dec-20 09:37:51

My 7 year old GD is into Lego Friends. She is creative and makes up her own scenes. Perhaps your GD could create a stage setting and make up a little playlet.

ImStillGood Wed 02-Dec-20 08:36:55

Warrior Cats series is pretty good for a 7yo, maybe try this, @kittylester? Or something by Jacqueline Wilson.

Farmor15 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:55:04

My daughter suggested some dress-up clothes for GD for Christmas. I thought it was a great idea as I can make some and transform some old things, and buy a few accessories. I wonder would something like that that suit your GD, kittylester? If she likes writing plays, she may like acting them out too. I used to love dressing up, as did my children and we always had a "dressing up" box.

If she likes Strictly, you might find some suitable dresses in a charity shop - but even your own wardrobe might be a source of some things.

cornishpatsy Tue 01-Dec-20 13:23:44

The writing of plays may be a phase that has passed before Christmas.

However if she is into writing it would be lovely to encourage her to keep a diary, there are some lovely age appropriate ones on Amazon.

I used to look forward to receiving a diary as a child, usually quite fancy with a lock on it and a special pen. Sadly I threw them out when I was a teen, thinking the writings childish. How I wish I had kept them.

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:17:56

Amazon have several pop up theatre books for children.

GrandmasueUK Tue 01-Dec-20 13:01:29

This is the book I got. I'm actually on my third copy. I kept giving them away. I've seen a few used ones doing a quick search, but the new ones are an astronomical price. Mine was about £20 but I can't remember where I got it from.

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 12:47:40

Sorry that was my fault !
I like the idea of some kind of puppets so that she could act out her plays.

Maggiemaybe Tue 01-Dec-20 12:47:08

Something like this? There’s a drawing set on the same lines.

www.notonthehighstreet.com/tandemgreen/product/personalised-story-writing-set

kittylester Tue 01-Dec-20 12:46:24

GrandmasueUK

I got a beautiful Shakespeare book that turns into the Globe theatre, with about 4 plays and puppets for my grandsons. Way too early but I loved it! There are a few online. I also got a theatre with marionettes for my own children years ago and this year bought a wooden theatre and hand puppets. Google search turns up lots of ideas. I hope you find something.

That sounds great - I've looked on the Globe website and cant see it. Do you remember where it was from?

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:44:53

There is a site called Oxford Owl (I think). They have some lovely children's books with links to buy them on Amazon if you'd rather.

kittylester Tue 01-Dec-20 12:41:25

Concentrate ladies!! I got really excited to see there were 7 replies!! grin

I loved that book too but she is a little young yet!!

Grandma70s Tue 01-Dec-20 12:37:16

7 is too young for those books, though.

Grandma70s Tue 01-Dec-20 12:34:06

Blue Door Venture was one in that series. I’ve read them all.

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 12:31:24

Yes of course the swish if the curtain. Yes there were more in the series. I wonder how dated they would be now ?

GrandmasueUK Tue 01-Dec-20 12:27:42

Lucca It was the Swish of the Curtain by Pamela Brown. I loved it and I found out recently she was only 13 when she started writing it and 16 when it was published. I loved it too and there are 4 more books in the series, which I also found out recently. (OK I may have bought them earlier this year grin)

GrandmasueUK Tue 01-Dec-20 12:24:10

I got a beautiful Shakespeare book that turns into the Globe theatre, with about 4 plays and puppets for my grandsons. Way too early but I loved it! There are a few online. I also got a theatre with marionettes for my own children years ago and this year bought a wooden theatre and hand puppets. Google search turns up lots of ideas. I hope you find something.

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 12:20:13

Talking of being a kid and writing plays does anybody remember reading a book called (I think) the Blue Door theatre ? I read it again a and again ! Wanted to be an actress.....

midgey Tue 01-Dec-20 12:14:22

How about a book that opens into a stage? I have seen several but afraid no idea what they were called. .....so not a lot of use really! Hope some one has a better suggestion soon!

kittylester Tue 01-Dec-20 12:01:20

Hust that really!!

She is currently into writing plays - the last one was based around Strictly.

Is there an arty version of STEM?