Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dreading arrival of second grandchild AIBU

(102 Posts)
Ellypat Sun 06-Dec-20 19:09:42

My DD has medical issues that prevent her driving. We live in the same housing complex, and her husband works long hours, so I am responsible for driving my DGS to and from daycare. This takes up a couple of hours of my day. DGS is very high energy and stubborn. My DD and SIL find him exhausting, and often ask me to take him for a couple of hours on weekends. I love DGS, but I find him exhausting too. Now my daughter is expecting a second child, and I’m dreading what will undoubtedly be increased demands on my time. I’m nearing 70, with health issues of my own. DD’s father is dead, and SIL’s parents have a poor relationship with my DD and have never helped with DGS. I know my help is vital to DD and SIL, but I feel tired, resentful, and trapped. I don’t think there’s any solution to my situation, but I am so depressed. Anyone else is a similar situation?

Sunshine6 Tue 08-Dec-20 09:27:56

Hi Ellypat, I know how hard this is, cos in same position, and know the mixed feelings of realising the genuine need for help, in a small family where theres really no one else to help, and feeling no brain space left, exhausted, taken advantage of, trapped. Have looked after dgd last 3 years & ongoing., 3 days a week +. Dd single parent, works full time, estranged from child's father, who lives with them as cant hold a job& not much support. Im now 70, in good health but on my own. Lately, also due to loss of recreational activities, bcos of pandemic, which kept me going & gave me a lift, find it hard to keep going sometimes. Other grans, in their kindness to help, have suggested get it sorted before 2nd baby is born, which would seem to be good advice. Problem is, in the mixture of need and pressure, of stated trust in our ability to look after dgc and the love for our own children, people like us feel powerless to refuse and are made to feel like letting the side down if we refuse. Its love and guilt, all rolled in to one. On the positive, we're close to the dgc. In many ways, its a case of look for the positives. I did try to set boundaries before child born, but no one was listening, as the need for me was too great. It may well be the same for you, though people who are not in the same position of intensity may well not understand. Im here for you. Keep in touch.