Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Entertaining a 9 Month Old?

(40 Posts)
QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 11:18:55

My DIL is planning on going back to work 2 days a week in February. My Granddaughter will be 9 months old by then, and I have offered to have her one day a week. She is my first Grandchild and while I am not worried about the physical looking after i.e feeding/nappies etc I'm lying awake wondering how I will occupy her for the whole day? She will come to my house as it is near my DILs work. I have a box of toys and my DiL will swap them out regularly. Is she too young for a story? Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

JackyB Thu 10-Dec-20 11:34:29

Didn't we call them playpens? I can remember mine from when I was a toddler - I may only remember my little sister being actually in it.

I have tentatively offered a travel cot to my DiL for trips to the loo, dustbins etc, especially as the little one is just starting to move around, but I don't think she's too keen.

QuiltyElaine Wed 09-Dec-20 12:12:15

Lolo81

The one thing I would definitely recommend that you invest in is a travel cot. It’s ideal, not just for naps, but all of our family used it as a “baby jail” which meant when we were alone with the wee ones - especially when they were crawling - we could nip to the loo or make a cuppa knowing they were safe in “baby jail” for a couple of minutes!
You’ll get into the swing of things in no time! In your shoes I’d actively ask DIL about any routines etc she has in place so she knows you’re going to follow her lead.
We also had a big plastic tablecloth that we’d put on the floor and then have a rare old time doing messy play - so playing with water or finger painting. So maybe pick up a couple of cheap baby grows that can get mucky and won’t ruin any good outfits.
Have a wonderful time with your GD, the time flies by so enjoy every second of it x

Good advice thank you! I love the idea of a Baby Jail!

ElaineI Mon 07-Dec-20 22:46:32

You can get colourful mats on Amazon for under high chairs and messy play - Fisherprice do them as well as others. We have 2. We used an old splash suit for painting - easier to clean. Activities last for 10 minutes tops at that age so be prepared for them be short. Parks are great so suss out in your area. Used to go to soft play but that's out just now. The outdoors is always fascinating. DGS2 is 2 ½ - had him from 7 months and he still loves being outdoors - leaves, trees, ducks, birds, sticks - nothing complicated.

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 21:09:17

Hithere

Callistemom
You are right - I was referring to the Lego for babies.
Sorry I called them by the wrong name

?
I thought I'd better say, though, just in case.

Chardy Mon 07-Dec-20 20:52:31

I too was a one-day-a-week gran until school thoughtlessly got in the way. At 2 months old, I bought a CD of nursery rhymes for the car, we sang and sang for over 4 years to those rhymes. Best fiver I ever spent.

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-Dec-20 18:28:56

I hate to brag grin, but I’ve got some even bigger Lego. It’s called Quatro, and the pieces are twice the size of Duplo bricks. Apparently it was only on sale for a couple of years - we got our big bucketful for the grandchildren at a table top sale. We’re the childcare bubble for DGS5 (8 months old) and we have our first day with him tomorrow, as mum and dad are both working. I can’t wait (and am now off to wash the Quatro).

Hithere Mon 07-Dec-20 17:51:12

Callistemom
You are right - I was referring to the Lego for babies.
Sorry I called them by the wrong name

Eviebeanz Mon 07-Dec-20 17:31:57

We look after my GS who is now 2 for 3 days a week - we enjoy it v much - even grandad's aches and pains don't seem to stop him when the young one says "come on grandad". It does bring back memories of when your own were young but it is also very different at the same time - very enjoyable as there isn't the stress and you have the time to do things with them. Housework can definitely wait! We also do sleep very well on baby days lol.

Luckygirl Mon 07-Dec-20 17:31:55

I did this from the same age with 2 of my GC and it was great fun!

One of them was a bit gobsmacked about it, and I let her sit on my lap for as long as she wanted, and until she felt brave enough to crawl away on her own. They soon established routines and rituals that happened at Grandma's house and looked forward to them.

I agree that not too much needed for entertainment at this age - they just like to follow you round and join in with what you are doing - especially of it means they can get dirty! So no need to put your routines on hold and leave a day free of chores so you can entertain - you and your daily routine are entertainment enough! But it might go a bit slower than usual! - and will definitely be more fun.

GrannySomerset Mon 07-Dec-20 17:21:51

Lots of good experience here and you will soon find what works for you. No child is ever too young to be read to, and the closeness involved helps form a positive attitude to books and reading which will be helpful later on. I envy you!

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 17:12:43

Not Lego until they are much older (everything goes in their mouth) but Duplo is good for toddlers.

Hithere Mon 07-Dec-20 16:48:52

Legos, books, boxes, anything is a toy for them at that age

I would also baby proof the house because one they start crawling and walking, they move superfast.
Babygates if you dont want gc to enter certain rooms or access to stairs

storynanny Mon 07-Dec-20 16:29:30

I also have my own “ baby bag “ nappies spare clothes, bibs etc so they don’t have to bring theirs every time , just ask for refills when you are running out of stuff! I’ve got a small backpack.
Also a packet of (pampers) folding plastic changing mats, useful for out and about and lying nappy free on your carpet!

seamstress Mon 07-Dec-20 15:47:06

Going for walks, cardboard boxes, walking round the furniture, reading stories, put pasta in plastic bottles rattles with different sounds, if all else fails, a bath even in the middle of the day. Theres a series on CBeebies iPlayer called Baby Club which has an At Home series which they did in lockdown to show lots of things to do with baby at home. I'd recommend that - you can even watch with baby as they have songs and stories on that. A cloth bag with a toy in you can explore together. Have fun!

V3ra Mon 07-Dec-20 15:38:10

One activity you could consider if you have the facilities nearby is to take her swimming.
In normal times I take my minded children every week from this age and it soon becomes a favourite outing.

Lolo81 Mon 07-Dec-20 15:23:50

The one thing I would definitely recommend that you invest in is a travel cot. It’s ideal, not just for naps, but all of our family used it as a “baby jail” which meant when we were alone with the wee ones - especially when they were crawling - we could nip to the loo or make a cuppa knowing they were safe in “baby jail” for a couple of minutes!
You’ll get into the swing of things in no time! In your shoes I’d actively ask DIL about any routines etc she has in place so she knows you’re going to follow her lead.
We also had a big plastic tablecloth that we’d put on the floor and then have a rare old time doing messy play - so playing with water or finger painting. So maybe pick up a couple of cheap baby grows that can get mucky and won’t ruin any good outfits.
Have a wonderful time with your GD, the time flies by so enjoy every second of it x

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 15:17:09

GrannyGravy13

Callistemon

yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here

I would advise against buying a secondhand car seat unless you know exactly where it has come from and that it has not been in an accident.

Definitely a new car seat, If you have a Halfords near you they have a good selection at reasonable prices and they also,fit it for you.

yes, good advice, I was think more high chair outdoor toys etc

Lillie Mon 07-Dec-20 14:20:56

That's lovely for you. Might I suggest a variety of activities as they have a limited concentration span at that age. Mix indoor with outdoor especially as the weather will be warmer come springtime and into summer. There are some lovely ideas above.

I agree secondhand things are sometimes in a poor condition. Certainly make sure the cot mattress is new.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Dec-20 14:15:07

Callistemon

^yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here^

I would advise against buying a secondhand car seat unless you know exactly where it has come from and that it has not been in an accident.

Definitely a new car seat, If you have a Halfords near you they have a good selection at reasonable prices and they also,fit it for you.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Dec-20 14:13:50

They obviously have faith in you, now you need to find faith in yourself. Little ones are happy with little things, saucepan lids and wooden spoons, plastic bowls with dried pasta (mine love the drinks coasters?)

You shall both be making memories to last a lifetime.

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 14:13:47

yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:59:43

GrannyGravy13

Relax and enjoy your GC, go for walks, feed ducks, go to the park along with lots and lots of cuddles.

yes, thank you, I am overthinking it! I just feel lucky that they trust me with her smile She was in NICU for 1st 3 weeks and they are very protective

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Dec-20 13:55:52

Relax and enjoy your GC, go for walks, feed ducks, go to the park along with lots and lots of cuddles.

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:42:49

storynanny

I have found it useful to have a travel cot upstairs for naps, a buggy in the car plus car seat, a little booster chair for feeding at the table and a list of toddler groups handy for that day.

yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here,

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:41:56

Spice101

Never too young for a story.

Yes you are right, I love reading and would like to encourage her too