Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Entertaining a 9 Month Old?

(39 Posts)
QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 11:18:55

My DIL is planning on going back to work 2 days a week in February. My Granddaughter will be 9 months old by then, and I have offered to have her one day a week. She is my first Grandchild and while I am not worried about the physical looking after i.e feeding/nappies etc I'm lying awake wondering how I will occupy her for the whole day? She will come to my house as it is near my DILs work. I have a box of toys and my DiL will swap them out regularly. Is she too young for a story? Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Toadinthehole Mon 07-Dec-20 11:28:25

Awww, this is exactly what I did, and it was lovely and brought back so many memories ?. She won’t need much entertainment at this age, and will be happy with whatever you do. Mine wasn’t crawling when I first had her, so was relatively easy. Two sleeps a day. We went for walks, saw the ducks, as everyone does. I kept lots of my children’s toys, but to begin with, it was just rattles, jingley things, etc. You will grow with her, and adapt. My DIL left me a list of instructions to start with, and then I just went with the flow. You’ll be fine...it’ll all come back, and it’s a lovely age to get them, before they get too mobile!?. Enjoy?

cornishpatsy Mon 07-Dec-20 11:29:25

I would try to have a routine from the start, eg; playing with toys, outing, TV ,story, messy play. Whatever suits your day.
Children like routine.

Remember you have done this successfully before.

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 11:31:35

Thank you I am looking forward to it, with Covid we have hardly seen her !

Spice101 Mon 07-Dec-20 11:32:06

Never too young for a story.

Bathsheba Mon 07-Dec-20 11:32:25

No, not too young for a story. A book with lots of colourful pictures and not too many words, board books with touchy feely stuff, like fluffy lambs, shiny duck ponds and so on. Or you can play games like pat-a-cake, row row row the boat (holding her hands to mimic rowing), ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross (holding her on your leg as you move your leg up and down like a horse ride). Get down on the floor with her and build towers out of bricks so she can knock them down.

And you won't have to fill the whole day, because she'll be asleep for some of it, having meals etc. Good luck, wish it was me!!!

GagaJo Mon 07-Dec-20 11:40:00

Don't count on immobility. My darling grandson walked at 9 months.

storynanny Mon 07-Dec-20 11:48:15

I have found it useful to have a travel cot upstairs for naps, a buggy in the car plus car seat, a little booster chair for feeding at the table and a list of toddler groups handy for that day.

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 11:48:34

Spice101

Exactly what I was going to say!
Picture books, books that make a noise, nursery rhymes, clapping and dancing to music.

We were lucky to be given some toys from a neighbour's children (Fisher Price, cars etc) and we had some in the attic from our own DC. The lovely neighbour also lent us a good, modern cot for which I bought a new mattress.
A stairgate?

It all comes back to you.

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 11:49:58

We used to go to a music and movement group, when they are back on that could be worth investigating.

ayse Mon 07-Dec-20 11:57:55

Sing along nursery rhymes with lots of actions. Row, row, row your boat, the wheels on the bus, wind the bobbin up etc. UTube has nursery rhymes, cds, Spotify. Make some playdoh for touching and kneading, water play, trying different foods.

Have a wonderful time. It’s such a privilege to be asked to look after grandchildren.

kircubbin2000 Mon 07-Dec-20 12:06:15

I had tapes of songs and stories which sent him to sleep after 5 minutes !

storynanny Mon 07-Dec-20 12:12:46

Storytime/rhyme time at the library is something we always go to if it’s on our day plus there is a lovely cafe in our library for afterwards

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:40:35

storynanny

Storytime/rhyme time at the library is something we always go to if it’s on our day plus there is a lovely cafe in our library for afterwards

I will definitely investigate that thank you!

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:41:56

Spice101

Yes you are right, I love reading and would like to encourage her too

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:42:49

storynanny

I have found it useful to have a travel cot upstairs for naps, a buggy in the car plus car seat, a little booster chair for feeding at the table and a list of toddler groups handy for that day.

yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here,

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Dec-20 13:55:52

Relax and enjoy your GC, go for walks, feed ducks, go to the park along with lots and lots of cuddles.

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 13:59:43

GrannyGravy13

Relax and enjoy your GC, go for walks, feed ducks, go to the park along with lots and lots of cuddles.

yes, thank you, I am overthinking it! I just feel lucky that they trust me with her smile She was in NICU for 1st 3 weeks and they are very protective

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 14:13:47

yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here

I would advise against buying a secondhand car seat unless you know exactly where it has come from and that it has not been in an accident.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Dec-20 14:13:50

They obviously have faith in you, now you need to find faith in yourself. Little ones are happy with little things, saucepan lids and wooden spoons, plastic bowls with dried pasta (mine love the drinks coasters?)

You shall both be making memories to last a lifetime.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Dec-20 14:15:07

Callistemon

^yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here^

I would advise against buying a secondhand car seat unless you know exactly where it has come from and that it has not been in an accident.

Definitely a new car seat, If you have a Halfords near you they have a good selection at reasonable prices and they also,fit it for you.

Lillie Mon 07-Dec-20 14:20:56

That's lovely for you. Might I suggest a variety of activities as they have a limited concentration span at that age. Mix indoor with outdoor especially as the weather will be warmer come springtime and into summer. There are some lovely ideas above.

I agree secondhand things are sometimes in a poor condition. Certainly make sure the cot mattress is new.

QuiltyElaine Mon 07-Dec-20 15:17:09

GrannyGravy13

Callistemon

yes we are going to start looking for some good things second hand to keep here

Definitely a new car seat, If you have a Halfords near you they have a good selection at reasonable prices and they also,fit it for you.

yes, good advice, I was think more high chair outdoor toys etc

Lolo81 Mon 07-Dec-20 15:23:50

The one thing I would definitely recommend that you invest in is a travel cot. It’s ideal, not just for naps, but all of our family used it as a “baby jail” which meant when we were alone with the wee ones - especially when they were crawling - we could nip to the loo or make a cuppa knowing they were safe in “baby jail” for a couple of minutes!
You’ll get into the swing of things in no time! In your shoes I’d actively ask DIL about any routines etc she has in place so she knows you’re going to follow her lead.
We also had a big plastic tablecloth that we’d put on the floor and then have a rare old time doing messy play - so playing with water or finger painting. So maybe pick up a couple of cheap baby grows that can get mucky and won’t ruin any good outfits.
Have a wonderful time with your GD, the time flies by so enjoy every second of it x

V3ra Mon 07-Dec-20 15:38:10

One activity you could consider if you have the facilities nearby is to take her swimming.
In normal times I take my minded children every week from this age and it soon becomes a favourite outing.