Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

More to life? But what?

(133 Posts)
hollysteers Wed 09-Dec-20 00:14:24

Yes I’m comfortable with blessings too, but at the moment have a tremendous desire to be in Paris! “Why wasn’t I born in Paris?” I often think. What a barren desert we are in in this present situation if we are gadabouts.
I don’t fancy the upheaval of moving, it’s ok here without being exciting, but rather than a quiet town, the centre of London appeals.
I think the reality of a narrow boat would disappoint, lots of energy involved (a friend testifies to this), but V3ra seems to have the right idea,
For myself, when we can, I’m getting out of this blinking (comfortable) house.

Marmight Tue 08-Dec-20 23:30:43

Oh yes. I do. Covid has made me think a lot about my life - what’s left of it - and once we’re free again I plan to do something about it. I was widowed nearly 9 years ago which I find unbelievable. Precious time wasted being miserable, worrying about the small things and ignoring the big and making wrong choices. I can hear my DDH saying ffs get over it and make the most of your life. Bring on the vaccine, open up the borders and I’m off...... ?

mokryna Tue 08-Dec-20 23:08:45

I know exactly how you feel Tanith . I have stopped working because of covid and am longing to get out and travel but not alone next time.
I turned 70 at the beginning of this year and when a friend, who had been present at the party, recently asked how old I would be on my next birthday, was surprised that I was only one year more, said that it seemed at least two years ago.

NotTooOld Tue 08-Dec-20 22:43:38

Oh, I know exactly how you feel, LadyBella. We've led quite an adventurous life but I would really really like one last adventure. This year has been a washout but I am hoping 2021 will bring something - anything - exciting.

LadyBella Tue 08-Dec-20 22:40:01

I was interested to read your post, tanith. I can imagine you wouldn't want to travel alone. I don't know about you, but 70 hit me like a ton of bricks and I don't want to waste any precious time. By the way, you do not sound at all pathetic. You are being honest.

V3ra Tue 08-Dec-20 22:39:37

I work at home and have found this year very trying as virtually every activity I would normally go to has been cancelled, as was our summer holiday.
My husband goes out to work and I warned him not to underestimate how claustrophobic I was feeling.
We've ordered a new touring caravan which will be delivered next March. I'm hoping some weekends away will help!

Tanith could you go away with a friend? Four of us ladies usually do, two are married and two are widows.

tanith Tue 08-Dec-20 22:21:07

I’m also very aware of how lucky I am, have family who care, live in my own house and am reasonably well at 72 but I’m alone since OH died 2 yrs ago.
I sometimes do wonder if this is it, am I just plodding on into old age, marking time as I’m not brave enough to go travelling alone and moving house seems such a huge task when I have to make every decision and I know how pathetic I sound. I don’t have any suggestions but will follow this thread with interest.

LadyBella Tue 08-Dec-20 22:08:23

Before I start I'd like to say I know how lucky I am - reasonable health early 70s, good DH, 2 AC and 1 lovely GC. We live in a lovely part of the world and have a nice home. But I have a restless nature. Can't decide how I'd like to spend my final years. I dream of moving to the seaside, or living on a canal boat, or buying a woodland ... etc etc. I just don't want to be a pensioner living in a bungalow and just plodding on which is what we're doing now (obviously hampered by Covid). I really am grateful for all I have but does anyone else feel like this? Sometimes I could scream with frustration. DH is willing to go along with any of my schemes. We're not rich but we're not poor either. I'm just seeking ideas and suggestions.