Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Partial Dentures

(11 Posts)
Sarnia Fri 11-Dec-20 14:23:27

Partial and full dentures can take a bit of getting used to at the beginning. You may feel like Red Rum and think everyone is looking at you. I had all my teeth removed due to a reaction to heart medication. I had NHS dentures which were never a wonderful fit. I had to keep the top set in with dental adhesive. When I could afford it I treated myself to a full top and bottom set made by a professional dental technician and they are wonderful. Both sets stay in by suction, as they should. Keep persevering and in no time you will forget they are even there. Good luck.

travelsafar Fri 11-Dec-20 13:29:26

The only issue i have with mine is that i have a constant dry mouth as the plate covers the whole of the roof of my mouth. Otherwise it is fine i was sooo pleased when i had it fitted as my teeth were starting to move and i didnt feel safe eating hard food incase they fell out or broke. It was a relief to be honest. My grandson when small had headbutted me accidently and that started the problem i had.

Kate1949 Fri 11-Dec-20 13:12:54

You'll be fine. I've had full dentures top and bottom since I was 11.

Blinko Fri 11-Dec-20 12:15:14

I've had a partial denture since I was nine (cleft palate, crooked teeth, etc.) and have had no problem with it for well over sixty years. You'll be fine!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Dec-20 12:08:36

I used to have a partial denture and it was great - a bit tight fitting at first but it settled down and was very comfortable. It didn't wobble at all and was undetectable. I took care when biting into anything crunchy but I'm not a steak lover so thankfully no problems until I fell down stairs and did a lot of damage. That's another story and I don't want to derail the thread, so good luck.

Blondie49 Fri 11-Dec-20 12:03:23

Thanks all for your comments. I can’t have implants or wires re what’s happening with my gums/teeth, so will be push fit ? sounds like perseverance is the key !!

shysal Fri 11-Dec-20 11:46:48

I have a single false tooth right at the front. I don't like it but cannot justify the expense of an implant. I do cut up food like apples and toast to make eating easier and more comfortable. I would recommend a bit of fixative to help secure it ( I have no wires). Polygrip is a neutral colour as opposed to neon pink of others!
I hope you get on all right.

Alexa Fri 11-Dec-20 10:56:42

My partial denture is great. Yours will be a pleasant surprise.

SueSocks Fri 11-Dec-20 10:52:35

I've had them for 4 years, had awful teeth due to poor dentistry in the 60s and 70s! I had many crowns over the years but they don't last forever, so I had to have the offending teeth out and have a partial denture. They are fine as midgey said, no problem at all. I must say that when I left the dentist wearing it for the first time, I did think to myself, I can't have this in my mouth for the rest of my life. Takes a couple of days to get used to them. I honestly don't know they are there now. Nonone will notice them, I have friend who I've known for over 30 years, she told me the other month that she's had a front partial denture since her 20s, shes in her 60s now - I had no idea. As for staying in place, I have wires attached that go round 2 of my remaining teeth.
Good luck, I am sure you will be fine.

midgey Fri 11-Dec-20 10:28:00

Partial dentures are a world away from where they were! You will be fine and they will great.

Blondie49 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:01:39

Help ! I’ve got a condition that is attacking my gums, hence abscesses and loose teeth. Going a weekend to get front 2 teeth at top out and dentures in. Looking for tips as slightly nervous, not about procedure but will I look funny/ eat properly/ will they stay in place etc etc. I keep telling myself to man ( woman ) up and it’s not life threatening, but still a wee bit scary , or maybe being vain !! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated x