Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sausage Roll Query

(65 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 12-Dec-20 08:37:29

Hello!
I've got a question regarding sausage rolls - I am not one of life's cooks so please forgive my ignorance.

I've got chilled Jus-roll pastry and frozen vegetarian sausages of several varieties (bought frozen).

Should I defrost the sausages first, or wrap the frozen sausages with the pastry and cook that way?
The second way doesn't sound right does it? tchconfused
Do I need to brush the sausages with milk or egg before wrapping them?

Any advice welcome! Thank you tchsmile
(I did warn you that it was a daft question!)

Blossoming Mon 01-Mar-21 13:38:11

Ooh, I used to buy delicious sausage plait from a bakery in Settle when I was working on a project there. It’s a lovely wee place.

grandmajet Mon 01-Mar-21 08:25:00

That sausage plait sounds really tasty. I want one for breakfast, now!

Grandma11 Mon 01-Mar-21 07:17:28

Sometimes I make one big Sausage Plait, something I remember making at School during Domestic Science Lessons, and sold by a little village Bakery where we used to stay in Norfolk. The filling is made from Sausage meat, topped with a couple of spoonfuls of Tomato puree, finely diced fresh Onion, Red Pepper, and sliced Mushrooms, finished with a light sprinkle of mixed Italian herbs. The filling goes into the centre of a ready rolled pack of Puff pastry sheet, to form a sausage shape, the sides are then cut to form the strips of the Plait to pull across the filling in turn, hence forming the appearance of the whole thing being Plaited. Brush with Beaten egg and Bake until Golden.

It makes a nice change to an ordinary plain Sausage roll!

Blossoming Sat 27-Feb-21 17:13:39

I really must drop into the Argy some time!

lemongrove Sat 27-Feb-21 16:48:40

Blossom ?

Vile Brew is the guest beer this week in The Argy.?

Blossoming Sat 27-Feb-21 16:39:05

Callistemon

^"Vile Brew"!^

I've never heard that

I think I saw them at The Roundhouse. Their second album bombed though and they split. They blamed the sex an drugs an sausage rolls grin

jerseygirl Mon 14-Dec-20 19:30:56

I go to Greggs!! _ sorry!!

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 19:29:03

"Vile Brew"!

I've never heard that

Grandmafrench Mon 14-Dec-20 19:10:36

Rufus2

^sure you won’t be offended at the correction^
Grandmafrench. Not at all! It's the only way to learn and I bow to your superior knowledge. tchsmile
But how does a "Sum" differ from a "Sim" when all you can buy at the Chish and Fips shops in Melbourne are the latter?
I'll put it to the test next time I'm in the shop. tchhmm
OoRoo

Well, that's me being a smart arse...so sorry, Dim Sim is probably all the rage in Australian Chish & Fip shops because it's a Chinese Australian range of foods. Dim Sum, on the other hand, is a Chinese Cantonese range of dumplings and small eats in the UK. So, we're both right. No need for your gracious response to my "superior knowledge". Seems that knowledge is clearly not there, so please don't go into your local shop and put them to the test. ? ?‍♀️

Rufus2 Mon 14-Dec-20 14:04:33

Full thread Rufus!
I can't imagine what you were thinking
Fanny C. You've got me there too!

Yes it's like Cheerio!
Further research tells us that "HooRoo" was a greeting called out to neighbours to attract their attention and then devolved into "OoRoo" on parting company!
An equivalent of your TTFN or "Toodle-pip" when in polite company! tchgrin
Good Health
OoRoo

Rufus2 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:39:46

One of the vagaries of the Australian language, like calling someone with red hair "Bluey
Callistemon Are you sure? I thought it was more of a Pommie thing because back in Englnd we always had "Chalky" for anyone called White; "Curly" for baldies; "lofty/shorty for the "vertically challenged") ; etc.
I'd reserve "Bluey" for Blue Heeler.

Btw; you're trying to trap me into agreeing that VB (Victoria Bitter for onlookers) is our favourite beer, then claiming it is "Vile Brew"!
I wasn't born yesterday or even the day before! tchgrin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:16:52

sure you won’t be offended at the correction
Grandmafrench. Not at all! It's the only way to learn and I bow to your superior knowledge. tchsmile
But how does a "Sum" differ from a "Sim" when all you can buy at the Chish and Fips shops in Melbourne are the latter?
I'll put it to the test next time I'm in the shop. tchhmm
OoRoo

felice Mon 14-Dec-20 10:18:08

Last night we made a batch of Chicken rolls for school packed lunches.
We used Chicken mince, finely minced, mixed well with smoked Paprika, Garlic powder, Celery salt and a good glug of Worchester sauce.
Formed into fat sausages and tightly wrapped in puff pastry.
DGS loves them, Chicken mince is quite moist and binds together without the need for egg.
He also likes to be able to share them with his little friend at school who is Muslim. They like to cook their own lunches and are always looking for new ideas to share.

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 09:37:28

FannyCornforth

Like 'cheerio' then?

Originated from hooray, I think, FannyC, used by men working out bush, more a kind of adieu (farewell, hope to see you soon).
Then I think it was picked up by a radio show presenter and he used it as his 'signing off' and thus it became popular down South.

One of the vagaries of the Australian language, like calling someone with red hair "Bluey".

Bathsheba Mon 14-Dec-20 09:27:58

I often use a simple recipe from Jamie Oliver, which uses chipolata sausages (still in their skins!), sprinkled with crushed fennel seeds and grated parmesan, wrapped in shop bought puff pastry. This works equally well with veggie sausages or the meaty ones, and is really tasty.

Grandmafrench Mon 14-Dec-20 08:43:03

The Chinese/Cantonese food you referred to is actually called Dim Sum, Rufus. Sure you won’t be offended at the correction.
Many jolly Oo Roos coming back to you. Keep safe!

At the risk of telling all Grans what they will already know.....Fireman friends have told me that the best and quickest way to be involved in a house fire over Christmas is to put a batch of sausage rolls or mince pies to quickly heat in the microwave - and then leave the room! The fat content is the problem. So be extra careful, if you’re not already. ?

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Dec-20 08:14:39

Like 'cheerio' then?

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Dec-20 08:13:46

Full thread Rufus!
I can't imagine what you were thinking ...

Rufus2 Mon 14-Dec-20 07:50:41

(I always RTFT, especially my own), but I can't say that I understood it tchblush

Fanny .C Tut Tut. Language! Please remember that at least one gentleman still remains on GN. tchhmm
If he's explained what OoRoo means once, he's explained it a dozen times.
Imagine if you can, a fond farewell with a handwave minus rude gestures, but don't fret, it's not important! tchgrin
OoRoo

Callistemon Sun 13-Dec-20 15:23:37

FannyC much of the Australian language may be incomprehensible!

Rufus may understand if I asked for a VB and a N Queenslander asked "you from down Mexico way?"

A VB goes well with sausage rolls.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 13-Dec-20 14:47:57

FannyCornforth, they are delicious, though I use dried parsley!

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Dec-20 13:54:35

Jaxjacky I know, I did read it
(I always RTFT, especially my own), but I can't say that I understood it tchblush

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Dec-20 13:30:52

FannyCornforth Rufus2 did post a bit earlier to explain it.

felice Sun 13-Dec-20 13:05:45

Nannan1, to glaze or not to glaze is up to the baker.
I actually said that DGS prefers to use beaten egg.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Dec-20 11:53:20

NannanI just prefer puff pastry!
I've never watched a calorie in my life! tchgrin